Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

FSX-SP2(DX10): 3rd public post

this is a new release. new releases happen all the time. its no suprise that with a new release there are new features. at least I hope that is no surprise.this is no different than the nv 6x series starting to offer SM 3.0. which was an improvement over nv 5x.some people will see this as a reason to upgrade, some wont.this is the usual course of events. time passes, new hw comes out. same for CPUs and the number of cores.

Just a quick one Phil,So am I understanding that we will see a SP2 that will further address those of us sticking with DX9 and XP for FSX?? If so, thats cool. Although there is a slight FPS increase (5 or so FPS) won't this dip back down as the eye candy is added on in the DX10 engine? It is slightly better at the same level, which was your goal - what will happen as DX10 specific features are added...?? no worries if you cant respond to such a broad question.. :)Danon

I am just praying that the alpha-fade will make it to SP2. I don't like the way the autogen pops!

Guest Robin R.

Looks like you still got some work ahead of you to make it look like this:http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/...1_screen001.jpgIt'll be more interesting when you release screenshots with DX10 only features working (same location) along with FPS values.Do you know if FSX-SP2(DX10) will work under Vista 64bit (even in 32bit compatibility mode)?Robin.

I think thats something introduced by the jpeg process blurring certain blocks.We put the images thru photoshop differences and there are some edges caused by filtering differences we are looking at, but that was it.

I'll tell you right now we arent making that. And I have been hinting at that since my Feb blog post about GeometryShader performance. GS performance in todays hw isnt where we could use it to enhance the geometry and emit enough vertices to amplify the geometry and do that foamy, wavy thing. As I said in the blog post, that hit the cutting room floor. Long ago.If SP1 works on 64-bit in compat mode, then SP2 will as well.

Is volumetric lighting likely to make it to the finished product, Phil or are you not able to say yet?

Mr Taylor, From your reply, it seems the stories suggesting that the current DX10 cards (GeForce 8800, Radeon 2900) will not run DX10.1 features are essentially correct. The next question is: Will the FSX DX10 release implement DX10.1?This is an important question for those of us thinking about hardware upgrades for FSX DX10.Thanks,NC

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest Robin R.

17% increase in performance is nice but somewhat underwhelming consider it is still just doing what DX9 can do. It's a little discouraging because adding NEW DX10 only features will most certainly introduce a performance hit - eye candy never comes free.Anyone know if 3rd party vendors are just playing a wait and see for FSX? So far, every 3rd party scenery and/or aircraft and/or AItraffic has caused some serious "issues" with FSX-SP1. After contacting all the 3rd party vendors most of them are just playing the blame Microsoft game even for products that advertise as being "designed for FSX".Phil -- maybe some certification program that verifies real FSX compliance? Seems to be seriously lacking in current vendors (MegaScenery, Horizon, Aerosoft, and more).Robin

Guest Robin R.

Ok Phil -- but I definitely think you'll need to find some WOW for many of us to want to upgrade to Vista. I don't know about others, but as it stands now, there is still more "WOW" in FS9 with all my working 3rd party scenery/AC/etc vs. what I can do in FSX-SP1 at 1/2 the FPS.Does SP1 work on Vista 64bit without any issues beyond what is known?Robin.

the rendering features of 10.1 we are not going to be using.there are several driver layer features that still might be of interest, eg the better GPU task switching and GPU memory virtualization since they will be done "under the covers".http://www.elite######s.com/cms/index.php...=1&limitstart=3 talks to this.something in hw that helps with texture swapping might be a good thing.the release of 10.1 hw will also drive down the price of 10 hw, so that also should be a good thing.

Mr Taylor,From your reply it sounds like FSX might LOOK the same with DX10 or DX10.1 hardware, but may RUN better with DX10.1.Is that a fair summary?I assume we will have to wait for the release of Vista SP1, FSX DX10 and DX10.1 compliant cards to determine the extent of any difference in frame rates, as code optimization is the last step? Thanks,NC.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

> GS performance in todays hw isnt where we could use it to enhance the geometry and emit enough vertices to > amplify the geometry and do that foamy, > wavy thing. As I said in the blog post, that hit the cutting room floor. Long ago.?? So no waves like in the preview. I must have missed that blog, which one was it? If you look at the Crysis demos you can see waves very much like that picture. If you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk.

yes, thats a fair summary. early reviews of 10.1 hw would tell us if the 2 driver layer features provide significant benefits for DX10 apps.

ARE THEY EVEN FREAKING AWARE THAT 90% OF THE PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THEIR defective PRODUCT CAN RUN IT IN REASONABLE FPS WITHOUT ANY KIND OF MODIFICATIONARE THEY THAT OBLIVIOUS TO THE CURRENT STATE OF THEIR SIMULATOR ?******* I MEAN I BET THEY LIVE IN THEIR OWN LITTLE BUbBLE THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT AVOIDING REALITY !!!AN ANGRY FSX COSTUMER