Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

FSX-SP2(DX10): 3rd public post

Maybe they thought by simply porting the code to DX10, there would be "magic" results? Well thats obvioulsy not the case as it looks the same. I hope there are programmers working on the actual improvements.

did I ever say that was the final number?no. this is the current state of the pipeline with no optimization, while feature development is in process. usually games are slower at that point.

did you actually read the post?this is evidence we have reached parity with DX9 in the DX10 work, less than 3 months after shipping SP1. its supposed to look the same.let me say it again - the images are supposed to look the same.

Yes, I read the post. Twice. And again a third time just now. Nothing on the reread changes my view on sticking with XP/DX9.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

ok but it seems like a lot of work to do and not much time to implement those features in the previews. (if it hasnt started already??)To be honest I think the FSX engine needs more than anything: HDR lighting. Look at the difference it can do:www.windwardmark.netI'm not a graphics programmer, but wonder how difficult it would be to develop.

glad to see you get the point. :-)I did lay out the 4 phases or milestones, twice now. but its worth repeating."DX10 looking like DX9", the 3rd milestone, means all DX9 rendering features are now operational in the DX10 pipeline and look identical. That means the engine is fully flyable in DX10, but no new features are enabled. So those screenshots have done a good job of proving that milestone is done :-). the last milestone, of course, is the DX10 feature milestone.yes, the schedule is tight. but, as my 2nd public post (previous to this one stated ) we were already ( back then ) having some feature work happening in parallel. and, if you think about it, there is some time lag between when I post in beta and then when I post here in public. how much that is varies, but its never the same week much less the same day. as far as what we are doing, as with any plan you cannot predict the future. you plan n features and expect to lose m of them. the art is to keep m low so that n-m is still compelling. yes, HDR is one of the n. will it be one of the m is the question I wont be able to answer until September. so no promises on features yet.

Guest Seadog

So, if I get you right, parity is defined as equality, and we are supposed to find one image looking as good as the other, not better, and not worse?Boy, that sure is a hard concept to grasp. I almost missed it, and I'm a native English speaker. As my first language, even.Now I'm really going out on a limb here, but I'm speculating that parity is but a way station on the path toward further exploiting the enhancements in DX10. I deduce this from the difference between a milestone and the completion of the journey.Phil, you can't say it more clearly than you already have. Thanks. And double thanks for adjusting the concept to include some enhancements for DX9 as well. This is truly a new chapter for Aces, and I can't thank you enough.-Seadog

Guest Thad

Phil,I agree with Seadog your blog post was pretty clear about the progress of DX10 work and what a milestone it is to have the

Thank you, Phil. I can't say I envy you, but I do appreciate the work going into this, as I'm sure the rest of us silent majority types who aren't waiting in the periphery to jump at the chance to attempt to validate themselves for whatever nefarious purpose or agenda, even if it's simply to remain unhappy no matter what. *cough*Anyway, have a good vacation!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Thanks Phil, looks good. So glad to see the continued effort by you to keep us up to date. Since I've upgraded to a new PC, FSX has become a favorite as is, the upcoming sp2 improvements and addon's will be icing on the cake :)

Guest MauiHawk

Wow, looking great! I really had expected you'd still have some significant holes to fill to reach DX9 parity at this point in time(because, I've heard, no plan in software survives once rubber meets road) ... but it looks like you are making great progress. Congrats!And the 17% improvement with optimizations yet to come is really encouraging! Heck, if SP2 turned out to be a 20% fps improvement with no further eyecandy at all-- I'd be happy enough with that in and of itself. (okay, well, somewhat pleased anyway)I'll take a wild stab with a prediction for the patch now that you've dubbed it SP2: there was something not quite right with the new texture generation scheme introduced with SP1 that will be fixed with SP2 (blurries!). Not expecting a comment on that one, of course...

Oh, I get it now - good to hear. I think you should make this more clear in your blog post as I was confused also.

fair enough.I used some of the verbage from my reply there to enhance the paragraph around the screenshots.