Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Can Xplane 12 be realistically run on a 1080Ti?

Are there specific settings in the Nvidia configapp which must or must not set related to xp12?

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

On 1/21/2023 at 12:00 PM, rondon9898 said:

Hi folks I have just purchased Xplane 12 as I wanted to use the FlyJSim Q400 but the textures, no matter what I do with the graphics settings, or Nvidia Inspector settings, are unbelievably jagged and blurry, like being in some 1990s console game. Is this simply because the 1080Ti can’t cope? I have an otherwise high end system but I bought a 3090 GPU (I think it was, anyway), it was faulty, and I had to go back to the 1080Ti again. As MSFS runs perfectly fine and, visually, rather beautifully with it, I presumed I could do the same in Xplane 12 but have I just been too hasty? 
Thanks folks

I run XP12 on a GTX1070ti and it runs very well, maintaining an average of 40 FPS with my current settings, going down to 30's in the worst case (so far). So your 1080ti should be just fine.

59 minutes ago, Daube said:

I run XP12 on a GTX1070ti and it runs very well, maintaining an average of 40 FPS with my current settings, going down to 30's in the worst case (so far). So your 1080ti should be just fine.

Could you share your current settings in xp12. And any specials in the Nvidia app as well plz?

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

Well I guess it's safe to say that until Laminar introduces proper AA, which is currently absent in the sim, XP12 will look bad no matter what hardware you have - unless you use DSR to brute force the image, which requires a very powerful GPU (high 3 or 4 series nVidia). It's a complete dealbreaker for many, including myself. All we can do right now is wait.

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

3 hours ago, Paulvanuf said:

Could you share your current settings in xp12. And any specials in the Nvidia app as well plz?

No special settings in the NVidia control panel. In the sim, the settings are as follows:

• antialiasing limited to FXAA,
  • SSAO is set to low,
  • anisotropic filtering set to 4x but I have to set that one higher, it doesn't impact much
  • shadow quality set to medium
  • all other graphical sliders are to the right
  • VSync is disabled

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

which is currently absent in the sim

It actually isn't.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6q9g3zi1pbbfpt/Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 1.31.24 am.png?dl=0

2 hours ago, Colonel X said:

XP12 will look bad no matter what hardware you have

Looks pretty good to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz3tdkxvqlnq7au/CL650 - 2023-01-24 01.29.04.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fqaxhaoqx6riln/CL650 - 2023-01-24 01.29.43.png?dl=0

Goran, I believe under antialiasing people include things like shimmering, marching ants, etc, which are tipically not captured with a screenshot and can sometime be hard to see in compressed videos too.

It is undeniable that there's a lot to be improved of this aspect of the sim.
I'm sure Ben & Sid are fully aware of it as they mentioned it a few times already.

Edited by peroni
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, peroni said:

Goran, I believe under antialiasing people include things like shimmering, marching ants, etc, which are tipically not captured with a screenshot and can sometime be hard to see in compressed videos too.

It is undeniable that there's a lot to be improved of this aspect of the sim.
I'm sure Ben & Sid are fully aware of it as they mentioned it a few times already.

Oh I never said it was perfect. But ColonelX said it “looks bad” and it’s a “dealbreaker”. I wouldn’t say it looks bad at all. It needs improvement, but I think his adjectives are just slightly exaggerated. 
Any marching ants, by the way, are from incorrect or bad UV mapping. 

Edited by GoranM

I have an Intel 8700K (not overclocked), 32GB RAM (quite slow RAM) and a NVidia 1070 with 8GB VRAM. I can run XP12 but have to dial down the settings compared to XP11. The new stuff - fluffy clouds etc appear a bit dodgy. The frame rates are considerably slower than those I achieve in XP11  -- and in the other sim. I do like that seasons have been implemented.

5 hours ago, GoranM said:

Goran are those screenshots representative of your actual sim visuals? Because they look x100 times better than mine at the moment. Do you have any special settings, say in nVidia Inspector or the like?

To give you an idea, the image quality is so bad at the moment, despite having SGSS and other things selected in nvidia inspector, that I can’t see the writing on any of the FJS Q400 panels when lit at night. I’m at my wits’ end because no matter what I do, the quality just doesn’t improve. It runs fine, but looks awful.

7 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Well I guess it's safe to say that until Laminar introduces proper AA, which is currently absent in the sim, XP12 will look bad no matter what hardware you have - unless you use DSR to brute force the image, which requires a very powerful GPU (high 3 or 4 series nVidia). It's a complete dealbreaker for many, including myself. All we can do right now is wait.

Now this may well explain it. But why are screenshots like Goran’s and videos I see from streamers so nice? Is that the result of inadvertent post-image treatment? Is there no way of imposing AA into the programme, if you see what I mean, like through NI?

I can’t quite believe that they would make a sim in 2022 with no AA capability - why would they do that?

Thanks for the help so far folks - nothing has worked thus far.

Edited by rondon9898

2 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

Goran are those screenshots representative of your actual sim visuals? Because they look x100 times better than mine at the moment. Do you have any special settings, say in nVidia Inspector or the like?

To give you an idea, the image quality is so bad at the moment, despite having SGSS and other things selected in nvidia inspector, that I can’t see the writing on any of the FJS Q400 panels when lit at night. I’m at my wits’ end because no matter what I do, the quality just doesn’t improve. It runs fine, but looks awful.

The screenshots I posted are using nothing but X-Plane’s own settings. I’m running a Mac M1 Max, and my settings for AA are in the first link I posted. No post processing. No special software. This is why I’m still racking my brain at why some people can’t get what I’m getting. 

16 hours ago, GoranM said:

Oh I never said it was perfect. But ColonelX said it “looks bad” and it’s a “dealbreaker”. I wouldn’t say it looks bad at all. It needs improvement, but I think his adjectives are just slightly exaggerated. 
Any marching ants, by the way, are from incorrect or bad UV mapping. 

It depends on 2 things I guess.

1. How important is a clean, smooth image to you. There are many aspects to immersion and graphical quality, many of which XP12 excels at, and some people might just overlook the image quality in terms of aliasing, shimmering ect. - for me, image quality is the #1 make it or break it criteria, especially in flight sim, so that's why my words might seem harsh, but I mean it.

2. Match of hard and software. I imagine if you run XP12 on a 1080p monitor and have a 3 series nVidia GPU, you'll be fine. Dial in highest AA and maybe DSR (brute force AA) and the image will be rather smooth and you have enough perfomance overhead. But things get more difficult with higher res displays. I have a 5K display and there is no way I can get an acceptable image quality. I guess no GPU but certainly not my M1 Max can produce a 5K image with full AA, even using FSR (which only emphasizes image quality issues) at 30FPS.

For me it's clear that we don't only need "better AA" (that's vague!) but new AA technology here, which uses temporal data. Just as MSFS or mostly all new titles do. MSAA and FXAA are legacy technologies that are simply not up to the task. Yes, for some people it's ok  the way it is, as I described above, but for some, it's just a no go.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

5 hours ago, Colonel X said:

For me it's clear that we don't only need "better AA" (that's vague!) but new AA technology here, which uses temporal data. Just as MSFS or mostly all new titles do. MSAA and FXAA are legacy technologies that are simply not up to the task. Yes, for some people it's ok  the way it is, as I described above, but for some, it's just a no go.

Might want to hang around for a future update, then.

😉 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1