Sign in to follow this  
markgrinyer

Powerful computer - Progressive stuttering and lag

Hi

Small update. Updated my BIOS and the stuttering is still there. Its not an internet connection issue as the internet doesn't have any issues running any other program.

So still stuttering with GPU drivers, BIOS up to date and TLOD set to 200, OLOD to 100.

Anything else I can look at?

Many Thanks

Mark 

Currently working my way through the PDMG catalogue, starting with the 777

Many Thanks. Mark

On 2/11/2023 at 5:21 PM, markgrinyer said:

FSTL

this was the issue for me, fps would start at around 40 and end up around 18. 

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Mark,

If you're running Win 11, right click on your desktop and select "Personalize". Then click "Background" then "Personalize your background" and make sure "Slideshow" isn't selected. If it is select picture or solid color (Not sure if this is even an option in Win 10).

Also, check your Windows power options and make sure "High Performance" is selected. Sometimes mine resets to "Balanced" after updates and this results in stutters with my setup.

Good luck and I hope you get this figured out!!

Mark H

MSFS (Steam) | Windows 11 |  ASUS Prime Z690-P |  i9 13900K @ 5.7GHz  | | RTX 4070TI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 | SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB | (2) LG 27GL83A-B 2K monitors | 750w Corsair PSU | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro 

All of these are great ideas, but perhaps it might be good to back off for a moment and try something easy. Clear out the Community folder, set the graphics to mid-range (yeah, I know it's crazy), and fly from/to default MSFS airports in a C172. Go back to DX11 (DX12 is still in beta), and let  us know how it goes. 

How's the stuttering? If you still have it we need to look elsewhere. You can always try a clean install of MSFS, too. I once had to back up to that in order to resolve CTDs and I have had no problems since. If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall the OS from scratch and install MSFS first. BTW, I don't recall anyone asking what you were using for security. Is it Windows Defender or something more exotic? There have been reports of one or another AV causing problems.

Good luck with this one. There's no shortcut to doing systematic debugging. Please let us know how you solved the problem.

• Upvote 2

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Hi All

Back in Business. Removed FSTL and used stock ATC rather than FSHud and it didn't stutter once, even when leaving LFPG with TLOD at 325 and OLOD at 200.

Thank you each and every one of you that have helped out and given suggestions

Edited by markgrinyer
  • Like 1

Currently working my way through the PDMG catalogue, starting with the 777

Many Thanks. Mark

Guys, I can only confirm, that what ever I do on the last 15-10 miles and even until the gate the stuttering happens for every second MSFS stands still for a second or two. I fly low over the airport with or without 3rd party scenery, turn into the approach and then on the 15-10 miles final it starts. Strongly happens here with the FBW A320 but also default Cessna. The HDD LED is black, sometimes flickering. Community Folder only necessery addons, GSX PRO activated or not, latest GeForce 2080 Game Ready driver 531.79 and MSFS SU13 1.32.7.0, DATA Cache ON or OFF, PHOTOGRAMMATRY OFF, GRAPHICS High ... It gots worse after last updates...

Any clue?

Many Happy landings 👋

Edited by StephanAitch

2 hours ago, StephanAitch said:

Any clue?

Bit hard to diagnose without your PC specs (I'm reading this on a mobile).

Two possible causes:

1. Have you maxed out your GPU's VRAM?
  2. Is you Windows page filing option set  to 'let Windows automatically manage'?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I run 4090 and 7950x3d at 200 LOD. Dont recommend going over, 200 gives more than enough detail.

• Upvote 1

Luka Makhviladze
PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Terrain LOD no higher than 200, like @Lukamak pointed out, is a significant point.

Two other checks are to run MSFS during a quiet time in your location (when there are fewer flight simmers on your nearest server), and to also see whether your ISP is throttling your connection speed.

MSFS can stutter if there are delays in receiving data.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 hours ago, StephanAitch said:

Guys, I can only confirm, that what ever I do on the last 15-10 miles and even until the gate the stuttering happens for every second MSFS stands still for a second or two. I fly low over the airport with or without 3rd party scenery, turn into the approach and then on the 15-10 miles final it starts. Strongly happens here with the FBW A320 but also default Cessna. The HDD LED is black, sometimes flickering. Community Folder only necessery addons, GSX PRO activated or not, latest GeForce 2080 Game Ready driver 531.79 and MSFS SU13 1.32.7.0, DATA Cache ON or OFF, PHOTOGRAMMATRY OFF, GRAPHICS High ... It gots worse after last updates...

Any clue?

Many Happy landings 👋

Are you using FSUIPC 7 by any chance ?

It's caused me severe stuttering problems with older versions of the app and the latest updates to MSFS seem to have triggered them again in the most recent release (7.3.20)

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 10:53 AM, markgrinyer said:

Hi

Small update. Updated my BIOS and the stuttering is still there. Its not an internet connection issue as the internet doesn't have any issues running any other program.

So still stuttering with GPU drivers, BIOS up to date and TLOD set to 200, OLOD to 100.

Anything else I can look at?

Many Thanks

Mark 

Mark--establish if Main Thread, GPU and/or VRAM are maxed out.   This will be impacted by settings in MSFS.  If those are all fine you've got something like I"m dealing with now after absolutely sterling liquid smooth performance from gate to gate.  After SU12 I was getting similar issues upon arrival in particular, over half the time, up to severe stuttering upon arrivals.  I narrowed this down to 4 potential issues as I've now had 3 perfect flights in a row and am in the process of drilling down to which one of these the issue might be related to:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/633596-having-major-stuttering-upon-arrival-take-the-poll/?do=findComment&comment=4956693

It turns out it was not the 2nd monitor I'm fairly sure of now, though for reasons I don't understand NCP says I've only got one screen hooked up, whereas previously it correctly sensed both.  So for this test flight I'm in now I've changed the Gsync setup back to Full Screen only and will know if this was the culprit in about an hour or so when we land at KPDX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

Mark--establish if Main Thread, GPU and/or VRAM are maxed out.   This will be impacted by settings in MSFS.  If those are all fine …

Mark posted 2 days later that he’s back in business …

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

On 5/4/2023 at 2:20 PM, Matchstick said:

It's caused me severe stuttering problems with older versions of the app and the latest updates to MSFS seem to have triggered them again in the most recent release (7.3.20)

Yes I'm using FSUIPC. It may have an effect. But also it may be the weight of the Community folder in the first place? After I use Addon Linker and spring cleaned up its working better here. In addition GSX Pro may have an effect too. FSLTL has no feeled effect.   

1 minute ago, StephanAitch said:

Yes I'm using FSUIPC. It may have an effect. But also it may be the weight of the Community folder in the first place? After I use Addon Linker and spring cleaned up its working better here. In addition GSX Pro may have an effect too. FSLTL has no feeled effect.   

I forgot to test FBW SimBridge. Next time when lagging I'll switch it off and'll see how it goes.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:20 PM, Matchstick said:

I'll check it out. Could be very much possible. Thx