Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

PMDG 737 for P3D and MSFS

First of all i want to be clear that topic is not to start another war about which platform is better.

Topic is addressed for those who actually owns both versions of 737 and are able to compare those two.

I was reluctant to buy MSFS version but finally gave up and have -600, as price is really good.

I am not impressed so much of MSFS version as many YT creators are.

I have my set of feelings like MSFS cockpit looks a bit cartoonish ( cannot put my finger on it, but i feel odd ), i think ground handling in P3D is much better, not a big fan of MSFS mouse interaction ( even i use PMDG mouse mod ) - lags and dissapearing pointer, but most important is to hear others, but please do not flame this topic, just chill out and give ur opinion 🙂

Artur 

6 hours ago, Beardyman said:

ur opinion 🙂

I owe both, very difficult in comparing both platforms. Each has pluses and minuses. As an airline pilot, I evaluate quite differently compared to a desktop pilot. 
Having said that, and taking into consideration my limited time (1 ½ years in the 737) I would adventure myself to say both are quite good but still need final touches.
In reference to the 600, it is quite unstable in pitch (as is in the real life), and you might not like it. If you can get the 800 or 900 I think that you would be much happier from this standpoint.
Yes, in P3D ground, the taxi with tiller handling was much better before PMDG got involved and made some changes, still needs refinement but is somehow better than MSFS.
Yes MSFS mouse interaction is not so good.
Cartoonish cockpits can be an issue until some developer will take real pictures and superimpose gauges correctly in place.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Thx for ur opinion.

I have also noticed some strange behaviour of MSFS VNAV.

I thought after this long awaited L/VNAV update things will be ironed out, but not yet.

In general i still prefer P3D version, but have hope that one day MSFS will surpass P3D version.

• Upvote 1

Artur 

12 hours ago, LRBS said:
Cartoonish cockpits can be an issue until some developer will take real pictures and superimpose gauges correctly in place.

They do take real photos from the aircraft they use as a sample. That’s also where they record the sounds. They’ve discussed that many times.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

47 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

They do take real photos from the aircraft they use as a sample. That’s also where they record the sounds. They’ve discussed that many times.

Perhaps it's a misunderstanding?  But what they have, are not real cockpit panel pictures. For sure they use real pictures as templates and also scan in 3D.

19 hours ago, LRBS said:
Yes, in P3D ground, the taxi with tiller handling was much better before PMDG got involved and made some changes, still needs refinement but is somehow better than MSFS.

That is an interesting comment. I still use the original 737NGX in P3Dv4, and one of the reasons I have not upgraded to the NGXu is because I am not all that confident that the ground handling will be as good. I have experienced the PMDG "upgraded" ground physics with the 747, and it feels very "light" compared to the 777 that I use (a slightly older version of the 777LR/F package with original ground handling; the reason why I decided not to upgrade it).

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

"upgraded" ground physics 

Rightfully so, the reason I mentioned that there is a need for refinement in taxi behavior it is exactly the same reason you mentioned, spot on. I don't remember when they did that "upgrade" regarding ground physics and they introduced that option for the tiller in the FMC menu, sure it feels very light.
In the actual (747, 777, and 787) real-life experience during taxi, that difference in feel is very minimal, they are smooth, positive control and response but not "light". The other consideration/factor is the controller quality and calibration, or differences between the two platforms.
There is no question regarding how the real airplane behaves/reacts in real life compared to even a LevelD simulator and more so to a PC desktop.