Sign in to follow this  
bcip

Nothing shown in "Watch simulation events/variables"

Hi, I'm new to AAO and just downloaded the Demo version for a trial for my X-touch Mini controlling the MSFS2020.

Under the scripting, I was not able to see anything for "Watch simulation eventsor "Watch simulation variables" whenever I did some turning / clicking of MSFS.

I suspect it's caused by the WebAPI. I've checked the Tools menu, the "Enable Web API on port 9080" was not able to be selected/enable. I've checked the port 9080 of my PC is okay and not blocked. Please advise any parameters need to set in order to "Watch simulation events" under "Scripting". 

My AAO Demo version is 2.81 b05 MSFS. I've checked the "port setting for the WEB" is 8080/9080 for WebFIP/WebAPI respectively. However, I could only see unchecked one module under "Set WebAPI for AAO Addons" as "Lorbysi-content-fippanel -> IP:localhost, Port:9080". I was not able to "Tick" the box of this module. However, the entire box is "Ticked" and have port 9080 set. (the "Set WebFIP for AAO Addons" is similar with only the "Lorbysi-content-fippanel -> IP:localhost, Port:8080" but not able to be cheched.

Thanks

BC

1 hour ago, bcip said:

I suspect it's caused by the WebAPI.

No. That has nothing whatsoever to do with it. The WebAPI is how other apps can communicate with AAO.

I was not able to see anything for "Watch simulation eventsor "Watch simulation variables" whenever I did some turning / clicking of MSFS.

Events can only be observed when and if the aircraft actually sends them - and this means default SDK events. Many aircraft, expecially addon/advanced ones, rarely use SDK events (or at all). So if you see some or not depends on what aircraft you are observing.

Variables can only be observed when you tell AAO their name first. It will not just track "any variable", that would be impossible (there are more than 2000 in the SDK and an infinite number of invented ones =LVars, HVars and BVars where AAO cannot know the name anyway)

Bottom line - don't expect too much from these two dialogs. They are more for debugging purposes, when you are writing scripts. Use the MSFS developer mode to find out about input events (there is a point and click method to locate at least some of the input methods)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, bcip said:

I was not able to "Tick" the box of this module.

That is because MSFS was running at this point. You cannot change the port of an addon when it is currently in use.

LORBY-SI

Hi Lorby, Thanks for your prompt reply.

I was using the MSFS standard SP172S with G1000. I have no clue to find out those events used in this plane if they couldn't be watched when activated. I wonder how could I know the exact event name of various Knots and buttons of the simulator for assigning encoders/buttions for the X-Touch Mini ? Is there a way I could emmulate the native MSFS keyboard inputs combinations to perform the corresponding functions for controlling this plane ?

This is often done in the MSFS developer mode. When devel mode is active, you can select "Behaviors" from the "Windows" menu (the location will change in SU12). When that dialog is open, you click into the MSFS window, then hover the mouse over the knob that you are interested in - now press Ctrl&G on your keyboard and the Behavior dialog will jump to the corresponding component and you can often see what K-events, LVars, HVars or BVars are in play and how they should be used.

Be mindful that external controls are a complex matter in MSFS. It is not as easy as finding an event or variable name, more often than not you neet to replicate RPN script code.

On flightsim dot to there are a couple of templates and profiles for various aircraft. Event if they were made for other hardware (like the StreamDeck or X-Touch) the package usually contains a collection of scripts that you can import into AAO and assign to your buttons.

Just for completeness sakes - the G1000 itself is not controlled by simulator events, but with HVars. You will find the most common ones in the section "Html Variables" in AAO (though some names may have changed with the AAU). HVars cannot be observed, they are one-way only.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thanks for your advise. I think I need more time to learn how I could use the AAO for my flightsim.

Just on my last question, is there a quick and dirty way to assign my x-Touch Mini keys using AAO to send the standard MSFS2020 keyboard shortcuts back to the flightsim for various controls in a quick and dirty way?

1 hour ago, bcip said:

is there a quick and dirty way

Go to flightsim dot to and download an AAO template for your X-Touch.

You can send virtual keyboard events (and virtual joystick events and virtual gamepad events) with AAO, but with the X-Touch that doesn't make a lot of sense - because you are missing the feedback channel (so the LED on the XT might be ON while the aircraft system that it designates is actually OFF because you flipped the switch in-sim with the mouse)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Just bought the full version 2_81_b05. Do I need to uninstall the demo version before this installation? Any license no to be entered? I just my previously buttons assignment able to be retained. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, bcip said:

Just bought the full version 2_81_b05. Do I need to uninstall the demo version before this installation? Any license no to be entered? I just my previously buttons assignment able to be retained. Thanks.

Just install the version that you've downloaded from the shop. Make sure to use the correct installer exe (=the one for your sim). Nothing else is required.

LORBY-SI

It sounds like you're encountering some technical issues with the WebAPI and port settings. Have you tried reaching out to AAO support for assistance? They might be able to provide specific guidance to troubleshoot your situation.