Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

New to helicopters

Never flown one in any sim, but its about time I added a helicopter to my fleet for a new challenge in XP12 🙂   For controls I have the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle and rudder pedals.  I guess a stick would be best, but I suppose the Alpha yoke will do for a start for pitch and roll.  With 6 axis on the Bravo throttle I can use one for collective and one for throttle.  I would appreciate recommendations for a good stick to use for heli flying that isn't too expensive - I don't have to look at bargain basement stuff but neither do I want to be spending hundreds while I find out if heli flying is for me.

Next of course I need a helicopter!  I like complexity, so no fear of learning.  I would like to use the heli for short and long range, preferably something with some good nav equipement like a well equiped GA.  However, if the suggestion is to start with a basic helicopter, I'll do that 😁

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Well since you already have the pedals any el cheapo stick should work

Example...

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/space/extreme-3d-pro-joystick.963290-0403.html

I'm not sure the above is ambidextrous though...might matter depending on what side your throttles are on.  I typically use my fixed wing throttle as a collective (which is basically the up and down of the helicopter in simple terms).

As for the helo itself - not sure if there is a XP12 one.  I really enjoyed the Dreamfoil Bell 407 in XP11.  Cowansim appears to have some for 12:

https://www.helisimmer.com/articles/x-plane-12-helicopters

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

14 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

for a good stick to use for heli flying that isn't too expensive

I use the good ol trusty logitec extreme3dpro for anything with a stick (planes and helis).

have a 3d printed job bolted to the floor for robis

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

go with a stick, yoike a nono for helis.

I have the same stick which @mSparks has., but for helis i have a modded stick with no center spring and a self made collective out of PVC pipe using an Arduino Pro Micro.

No better heli to start with , the default R22.

For complexity I do recommend the X-trident Bell 412.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

16 minutes ago, Humpty said:

ith no center spring

lol, I forgot it ever came with a spring.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

The Aerobrask R66 and R44 were in promotional sale at the .Org Store...

Bought the R66 and although I didn't have much time to play with it, I really enjoyed the first test flights 🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

7 hours ago, mSparks said:

lol, I forgot it ever came with a spring.

Yeah, but I don't tend to use the Extreme 3d with the helis. Already have a modded stick for helis, but since I broke the arduino and haven't had the time to just go 10 mins away from home to buy it, started using fixed until I get the arduino.

For taking off with the Extreme 3d at least with the R22 is really bad.

32 minutes ago, Humpty said:

with the R22 is really bad.

default R22 governor is a bit borken tho:

AutoATC Developer

16 minutes ago, mSparks said:

default R22 governor is a bit borken tho:

Not the throttle , especially the cylic

6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Not the throttle , especially the cylic

I found the default robi governor far too aggressive, requiring a ton of pedal input to keep stable, which if you don't keep well balanced needs a lot of cyclic to keep it stable, even more so in the 22 which needs even less input.

to see the impact its having on stability just turn it off (switch sticking out of the cyclic) and manually run the throttle, it doesn't need much change to keep the rpm in band.

AutoATC Developer

3 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I found the default robi governor far too aggressive, requiring a ton of pedal input to keep stable, which if you don't keep well balanced needs a lot of cyclic to keep it stable, even more so in the 22 which needs even less input.

to see the impact its having on stability just turn it off (switch sticking out of the cyclic) and manually run the throttle, it doesn't need much change to keep the rpm in band.

Ok will try it out.

10 hours ago, Humpty said:

No better heli to start with , the default R22.

The default R22 is by far the worst one to start with. F- that ultranervous flying styrofoam box to hell and back.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

The default R22 is by far the worst one to start with. F- that ultranervous flying styrofoam box to hell and back.

ok, but it's better to start with it. 

I think the real R22 also is not easy to handle.

Edited by Humpty

Wow, what a buzz attempting to fly the VskyLabs R44!!

I have ordered the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro plus a desk mount for it.  My first flight was using the Honeycombe alpha yoke - not ideal obviously, but while I wait for the joystick is good enough.  Well of course I was all over the place on take off!  Using all three controls at once really needs that muscle memory tuning up LOL!

I am even more satisfied with AutoOrtho! Although ZL16, they have added texture to the tiles so good enough for low flight. Really looking forward to exploring heli flight now!

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
spelling

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 3/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, Humpty said:

ok, but it's better to start with it. 

I think the real R22 also is not easy to handle.

Why on Earth would you want to put a newbie intro a flying coffin for training?! That's analog to a very first flying lesson in a MiG-21!

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days