Sign in to follow this  
Jeff D

Game freezes when I press fly

This game is so frustrating. My problem now is that the game freezes as soon as I press the fly button. Not talking about the "ready to fly" button. Can't get there. The fly button grey's out and I have to use the task manager to exit the game. This happens in both normal and safe mode. Has been working just fine up until today. The only thing I have done is play with some display resolution settings in both windows and the nvidia control panel. Thinking this may have caused something, I reverted back to the recommended settings in both windows and the nvidia control panel. Strangely, the game runs fine if I select a lesson. Only when I try to select a specific parking space to start from, does this happen. Not sure what to do next. Thanks for the replies in advance.

1 hour ago, Jeff D said:

Not sure what to do next.

Have you tried restarting your pc?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Try to limit the fps (in the menus sometimes are pretty high or gets laggy) and delete from your AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator the DCE, SceneryCache and SceneryIndexes folders, they will be rebuilt.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

your file path is a little different than mine. SceneryCache and SceneryIndexes are located at AppData>Local>Packages>Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe>localCache. Is this where I need to be? Don't see DCE

1 hour ago, Vali said:

Try to limit the fps (in the menus sometimes are pretty high or gets laggy) and delete from your AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator the DCE, SceneryCache and SceneryIndexes folders, they will be rebuilt.

your file path is a little different than mine. SceneryCache and SceneryIndexes are located at AppData>Local>Packages>Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe>localCache. Is this where I need to be? Don't see DCE

40 minutes ago, Jeff D said:

Might be, I have Win 10 and Steam Edition for MSFS 2020, also my sim is installed on a different drive than the Windows. You can make a backup before trying.

Zendesk article: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5410691478172-How-to-fix-loading-issues-after-clicking-Fly-or-Ready-to-fly-button-

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Trying to load the same aircraft?

I just had the sim lock up on me twice, pretty much identical behavior, with the B350. Reloaded with a C172 and then tried the King Air again, and it suddenly worked again.

And then it proceeded to do that again. I guess I'm having some stability issues too.

Edited by mspencer

I'm just about sick and tired of jacking with this simulator. I spend good money on a good computer to run this game and all I have gotten over the last year and a half are frustrations. Guess I'll have to settle for x-plane or something else.

3 hours ago, hangar said:

Have you attempted the obvious yet (removing everything from your Community folder)?

Yes. That was the first thing I did. I would even let it load in safe mode, after failing to load normally. So as my last resort, I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. No help. This is crazy. Absolutely no reason for this that I can think of.

7 hours ago, mspencer said:

Trying to load the same aircraft?

I just had the sim lock up on me twice, pretty much identical behavior, with the B350. Reloaded with a C172 and then tried the King Air again, and it suddenly worked again.

And then it proceeded to do that again. I guess I'm having some stability issues too.

Did you ever get yours working?

I, for the lack of coming up with anything that could be causing this, shut down the computer and walked away for an hour. Came back, turned computer back on, loaded flight sim(community folder empty). This time during the time checking for updates, it showed a small update needed to be done. I didn't even need to press the update button. It appeared to do the update by itself. Selected an aircraft, hit "fly" and all worked good. I quit the game, loaded my community folder back in, started the game, selected another aircraft, hit fly and all worked good. Not sure if that small update had anything to do with it, but it's working now. Go figure.

I had a similar issue some months ago. Reinstalled MSFS several times without success and got really upset.

Finally it turned out that the latest Nvidia-Driver at that time which I had installed was causing this effect. After installing an older version everything worked again like before. So if the problem comes up again you may try this solution.