Sign in to follow this  
Jeff D

Game freezes when I press fly

I had the exact same problem in December. It took me weeks to figure it out, so if your problem comes back, here’s one more solution to consider:

I had bought a new HDR-capable monitor. There is a Windows display setting to enable HDR, and I had turned it on and then forgotten about it. After I (eventually) turned it off, MSFS returned to normal. I was able to reproduce it by turning HDR on again in Windows.

During this time, I had worked extensively with MSFS support without luck, and had done partial and complete reinstalls of MSFS without success. I had also rolled back the NVidia driver, but that didn’t fix it for me. Eventually I put it together that the problem began shortly after setting up the new monitor, and that I had made a Windows change around then.

All is well now, and I doubt I’m missing out much on HDR.

I had the same problem which started a month or two ago.   My fix was to make sure I'm in FULL window mode (Not windowed mode)  ALT Enter will toggle between the two modes, . . . . before I hit the FLY button.

Has been working for me, so it may well be a nvidia driver problem as mentioned previously.

Maybe worth a try.

12 hours ago, Jeff D said:

Did you ever get yours working?

Yes and no, there appear to be ways to get it working.

There was another thread a ways back where people were having the same problem. Just like this thread, nobody had the same solution, meaning the solution isn't repeatable.

For me it only happens on one airplane, and there's a specific way to get it to dump out whatever it has cached about that airplane. I don't think it's HDR, a driver, an update, etc., I think it's something that the sim is doing wrong and some instability they introduced during the beta branch, which is when I first noticed this behavior, and the fixes people are finding are kind of hitting it on the edges, but the cache dumps or something and the sim has just fixed itself anyways.

I regularly delete the cache files from AppData. I've seen it do weird things with switch positions it has saved and also load in airplanes with broken avionics. May want to try that.

There's also a possibility we're all having the same symptom but from a different disease.

7 hours ago, ohny said:

I had a similar issue some months ago. Reinstalled MSFS several times without success and got really upset.

Finally it turned out that the latest Nvidia-Driver at that time which I had installed was causing this effect. After installing an older version everything worked again like before. So if the problem comes up again you may try this solution.

What Nvidia driver version are you using now ?

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

I am using Version 522.25 which solved the issue for me.

Not sure if this version dated Oct. 22 is suitable for the latest GPUs. I am still using the 1060 in Full HD (waiting for price-drops for actual GPUs ...)

On 3/8/2023 at 3:28 PM, altenae said:

What Nvidia driver version are you using now ?

On 3/10/2023 at 10:13 AM, ohny said:

I am using Version 522.25 which solved the issue for me.

Not sure if this version dated Oct. 22 is suitable for the latest GPUs. I am still using the 1060 in Full HD (waiting for price-drops for actual GPUs ...)

I'm using the current version 531.18. I was using the nvidia control panel settings you see recommended by some of the simmers on youtube. I remember when setting up my new computer and installing the game a couple of weeks ago, I ran the game initially on the default nvidia settings and all went well. So I went back to the default settings in the nvidia control panel with the exception of stipulating "prefer max performance" for Microsoft Flight Sim. I then started with an empty community folder. All good, ran fine. I then started to add Items one by one, starting with the my FBW A320. All good. Installed my Navigraph Navdata, my United livery, some airport sceneries, etc. Did at least 2 flights after each additional item was added. All good so far. There is an add on called Toolbar Pushback by AmbitiousPilot. There is a warning from the FBW installer about ToolBar Pushback. But if I'm not mistaken, it only might conflict or cause problems if I use the FBW's EFB pushback. I have not added it back to the community folder yet. I suspect ToolBar Pushback might have been the problem all along, but we shall see. I've got a couple more sceneries and aircraft to add back in. ToolBar pushback will be the last one I put back in. Will report back in on that one.

39 minutes ago, Jeff D said:

I'm using the current version 531.18. I was using the nvidia control panel settings you see recommended by some of the simmers on youtube. I remember when setting up my new computer and installing the game a couple of weeks ago, I ran the game initially on the default nvidia settings and all went well. So I went back to the default settings in the nvidia control panel with the exception of stipulating "prefer max performance" for Microsoft Flight Sim. I then started with an empty community folder. All good, ran fine. I then started to add Items one by one, starting with the my FBW A320. All good. Installed my Navigraph Navdata, my United livery, some airport sceneries, etc. Did at least 2 flights after each additional item was added. All good so far. There is an add on called Toolbar Pushback by AmbitiousPilot. There is a warning from the FBW installer about ToolBar Pushback. But if I'm not mistaken, it only might conflict or cause problems if I use the FBW's EFB pushback. I have not added it back to the community folder yet. I suspect ToolBar Pushback might have been the problem all along, but we shall see. I've got a couple more sceneries and aircraft to add back in. ToolBar pushback will be the last one I put back in. Will report back in on that one.

Never had issues with FBW and Toolbar pushback

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

21 minutes ago, altenae said:

Never had issues with FBW and Toolbar pushback

Me either. Next flight will tell the story for me. 

Had the same issue for two years and read all I could to solve it. What really seems to help is to change the aircraft (or even only the livery) every time you start a new session of Flight Simulator. So never use the same aircraft (or livery) in a row. I have never had the issue again.

There was also an issue with the "old" version of the FBW A320 which MS/Asobo adopted and put on the Marketplace for free. This was never updated to keep pace with changes in the sim unlike the version distributed by the developers themselves, if you tried to launch a flight with it just hung up the sim.