Sign in to follow this  
jon b

A1R Chilton DW-1A

The  last couple of days I’ve been flying low level sorties through the Scottish highlands at 420KTS in the IFT M-346, so fancied a change of pace and something a little different. I was browsing on the Just Flight website when I saw the A1R Chilton DW-1A had just been released today.

At only £15 I though I’d take a look at it. 
I’ve spent the afternoon with the sim weather set to one of those balmy, wind free English mid summer evenings in July around 8pm , a typical evening for a display of the shuttleworth collection in fact, thinking about it. I even replaced my current winter rex accuseason trees with the summer set for maximum effect !

I had a couple of hours  inside my VR headset pretending  I was in the 1930’s before daft low flying rules were enforced, hedge hopping very low over the gorgeous English countryside in the little Chilton.

Its a brilliant little plane for £15, in VR the leather and chromed textures look superb and crisp, as does the whole aeroplane really with each individual screw head and washer all in 3D.

If like me, you’re a fan of such things there’s a beautiful set of vintage Smiths oil temp and pressure gauges with chrome bezels, and a lovely Reid & Sigrist turn and slip indicator all set on a wooden panel.

The Flight model seems very pleasant indeed , and has one of the best sideslip behaviours I’ve seen in this sim, no THE best to be honest, so much so I’ve had great fun all afternoon sideslipping at ridiculous angles into random grass strips I’ve spotted.

It’s an extremely easy plane to fly and has that laid back 1930s vibe like a tiger moth but scoots along faster than a Cessna 152 so you can tour.

I bought it as I fancied a slow vintage float over the countryside but I understand the Chilton was actually a sports aeroplane and a racer, in this video the chap shows how it can be thrown around.

The aircraft itself is what it is, it’s not something that will necessarily set the world on fire but this simulated version has been done to a very high standard with regards to the visuals and flight modelling,it’s obviously a labour of love for the developer, and it’s an absolute beauty to fly in VR.

I just thought I’d share that ,if anyone likes this style of vintage aircraft requiring stick and rudder flying  this is definitely a cracking example, and one to get, at £15 I doubt you’ll have any regrets.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 3

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Thankyou Jon. An an engaging sample of what MSFS has to offer and that little plane provides  a great viewing platform doesn't it. I'm tempted. 

• Like 1

Yeah I have their Ryan STA - not certain on the flight model but everything else is fabulous.  This one looks really neat as well.  Problem is I have a lot of little props like this hehe.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

57 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Yeah I have their Ryan STA - not certain on the flight model but everything else is fabulous

I’m not familiar with it but if you read the notes made by “vintage simulations” under his YouTube  video he concurs exactly with what you just said, but he says this new Chilton is a real step up from the Ryan.

I’ve never flown anything like this in the real world so can’t validate it’s accuracy, but it certainly feels nice to fly and behaves exactly how I would expect it to. I’ve watched a couple of YouTube clips of the real aircraft and the simulator version does exactly the same bounce and skip down the runway on landing.

I’ve been up again for a few circuits and it’s a great VR flyer.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, arbt said:

and that little plane provides  a great viewing platform doesn't it. I'm tempted. 

If you use VR  it’s an especially  good viewing platform.

787 captain.