Sign in to follow this  
aerostar

MSFS Turbulence Airliners

With the voices of the smaller GA aircraft fliers managing to win the day and pressure Asobo/MS to cut down on the amount of turbulence experienced in the cockpit, I find that airliners turbulence effects and realism have been neutered.

I was getting much better more realistic turbulence before in my A320/737 than now.

It is frustrating to be taken a step back in realistic realism development.

It is so unreal looking/feeling when in turbulent weather and the plane hardly   -  drifts, weathercocks, wiggles, bobs, dips, balloons, rocks, rolls and doesn't get windshear...  anymore.

Back to boring approaches that make it harder to maintain interest.....

Can all those who notice this please join and generate a voice directed at Asobo/MS in order to remedy this....   and counter the fair weather (like to have the plane on rails brigade) who don't really know what turbulence is like for real. ( or those who actually DON'T want any turbulence !)

PS - I added this part to let viewers know that yes, I did set the option to 'Realistic'

Edited by aerostar

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

and that setting is under "Assistance Option"... took me a while to find it. 

Man this post is the poster child for jumping to conclusions evidenced on nothing really. I'd take up the suggestions of the other comments.

• Upvote 5

...Yes the first thing I did was set the setting to Realistic.    Which is LESS realistic than what was before !

It's a tubeliner flying that ever-exciting Cleveland to DFW run.  It's supposed to be boring.  😄

• Upvote 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

36 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

It's a tubeliner flying that ever-exciting Cleveland to DFW run.  It's supposed to be boring.  😄

Yes in fair calm weather....  but not all the time in windy, gusty, stormy etc weather....  you know... just like real life !

Edited by aerostar
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aerostar said:

...Yes the first thing I did was set the setting to Realistic.    Which is LESS realistic than what was before !

How do you know? Did you have exactly the same weather?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StoneDoor said:

How do you know? Did you have exactly the same weather?

...of course not,  how can you ?  It's as I notice with my own flying comparison from then and now.  It's not hard to notice the difference...

..... maybe we now need a  -  'Turbulence - Realistic + Boost' -  setting...

Edited by aerostar
  • Upvote 1

I was just flying the FENIX into windy EGLL 27L in live weather and it was heavily shaking during final approach, seemed pretty realistic to me (with turb on realistic)

• Like 5

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

17 minutes ago, aerostar said:

..... maybe we now need a  -  'Turbulence - Realistic + Boost' -  setting...

I'm curious what's your basis for loss in realism of turbulence? I've seen numerous people including NGDriver suggesting it is much more realistic and natural. Are you looking to be rocked like you're flying a warrior or cherokee?

• Like 4

Have you tried adding gusts in your wind set up? Adding gusts (assuming they still work after SU12) will give you as much added turbulence as you need. So you now have 4 separate controls: Low, medium, realistic PLUS added turbulence through adding manual gusts. I can't see how that "neuters" air masses while flying a 737.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

2 hours ago, aerostar said:

With the voices of the smaller GA aircraft fliers managing to win the day and pressure Asobo/MS to cut down on the amount of turbulence experienced in the cockpit, I find that airliners turbulence effects and realism have been neutered.

...Can all those who notice this please join and generate a voice directed at Asobo/MS in order to remedy this....   and counter the fair weather (like to have the plane on rails brigade) who don't really know what turbulence is like for real. ( or those who actually DON'T want any turbulence !)...

That's out of order really Aerostar, and comes across as sounding really entitled and aloof, with your view expecting to take taking precedence before anyone else, and a lot of others being wrong, especially your comments about "the plane on rails brigade".  The changes to the turbulence model in SU12 have been generally praised.

It was obvious the air movement model had changed drastically after SU11; some of this was to do with the convection currents altered to allow for gliding.
I fly mainly GA and was almost getting flipped on my side on some approaches - ridiculous!
The vast majority of simmers, and Asobo, recognised it needed re-tuning.

I am still getting plenty of movement in convection currents, over hills / mountains, and on approach. 
I had wind sheer on approach just last night that made me stay on my toes, and it was great.
So no, I don't think there is this 'on rails' brigade you talk about, and I certainly am not one of them.

I take about 14-15 flights per year in B737's (as a front end passenger), and the feel of the PMDG B737-800 on approach, either in fair weather or moderate chop, is about as I would expect when flying the PMDG B737.  Like other things though, nothing is entirely perfect or accurate, and there is a subjective element to this as well.

• Like 7

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.