Sign in to follow this  

Hi All,

Looking to see if my system could handle a Graphics card upgrade.  

My specs are:  Desktop: i9-9900K @ 4.9GHz | ASUS Z 390E | 64Gb DDR4 | ASUS Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti 11Gb | 2 x Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD 2Tb | Crucial MX500 2Tb SATA SSD. | Samsung 32” 60Hz Monitor.

K

Also consider :

Power supply.

whether it'll fit in your current case.

• Like 1

Luke Pype

Depends upon which flight sim you are using.  MSFS makes good use of powerful video cards, P3D less so.  As MaDDogz said, is your computer case large enough to handle a 4xxx series Nvidia card and will the PSU be able to supply adequate power?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thank you MaDDogz and stans, I have a 750W power supply and a large case - my real problem is whether all my current system as above, can cope with a faster upgraded card - and to what level ie a3 series or a 4 series.  Some coleagues have said that my RTX2080Ti is OK for Microsoft Flight sim, which is my main simulator.

Kind regards,

Kev

The 2080Ti card is no slouch and is very nearly equal with the 3070Ti performance, but you have 11 GB of VRAM, whereas the 3070 has only 8 GB.  Realistically, you would need to look at a 4080 card to see a significant performance increase and with that, a new PSU.  750 watts would be minimum, an ATX 3.0 PSU providing 850 watts is a better choice.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thank you stans, That sounds good, Based on what you say, I think I will stay with the current rig for a while.  I did not know that the 2080Ti was that close to the 3070Ti. Thank you.

Kev

While they are not definitive, the scores on this site are a reasonably good guide:
UserBenchmark: Nvidia RTX 2080-Ti vs 3070-Ti
As you have been told, the two graphics cards are near enough identical in performance.
If you have an overwhelming need to dispose of some cash, it will even suggest ways in which you can do that:
3.jpg

Edited by Reader

Thanks Reader!  I might hang on to my cash for a while!

Kev