Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

A Word On Bandwidth

I roam a bit in Western US and have a few words to offer about MSFS internet speed requirements.

First there are 2 requirements that I see.  The first is what is needed for downloading MSFS and DLC from the MarketPlace.

Mostly it will depend on tbe time of day that you are downloading but 50Mps (Megabytes Per Second) seems to be the minimum.

Yes I can install the ORBX Alaska 7gig Mesh in 6 hours at that speed but why?

With 250Mps I can download the ORBX Alaska mesh in less than an hour.

Note that all off my tests are on a 5G phone network that I think is the best way to test MSFS.

The second test is while running MSFS and observing tile loading and or PG loading.  With tile loading with an LOD of 150 @ 50Mps results were mostly acceptable   Of course @ 250Mps  tile loading was not an issue but PG still errored when loading at that speed.

Finally I would reccommend at least a download speed of 50Mps and more likely 200+ just to download MSFS and any purchases from the Market Place.

sp

My personal options at home are 25/50/100/250/1Gb (at work we are on a 10Gb ATM).

1Gb is prohibitively expensive in my area and 25Mb is stupidly slow.  So basically the practical choices were 50/100/250Mb .

I had been using the 250Mb plan, which was excellent for MSFS, but decided to drop to 100Mb as it was hard to justify the extra cost.  For me 100Mb seems fine, yes 250Mb was better for MSFS but not $50 a month better.  I can basically buy a full priced 3PD addon every month with what I save and the MSFS performance drop is not a game killer.

Meanwhile the savings from dropping to 50Mb from 100Mb are minimal ($10 or so) so I think I will be sticking with 100Mb unless the 250mb tier drops in price substantially.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

This one's been done to death, I'm afraid. Dozens of threads, hundreds of posts. As far as I'm aware it's a *server* problem - and nothing to do with your own bandwidth or speed. At various times - especially around the time of MSFS updates, the servers get overloaded. It's been like this from day one [mega sigh].

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

14 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

This one's been done to death, I'm afraid. Dozens of threads, hundreds of posts. As far as I'm aware it's a *server* problem - and nothing to do with your own bandwidth or speed. At various times - especially around the time of MSFS updates, the servers get overloaded. It's been like this from day one [mega sigh].

You entirely missed the point of this thread LOL.

sp

23 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

You entirely missed the point of this thread LOL.

sp

Wups - so I did! Sorreeee! I need to upgrade my reading skills!

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Even a fiber Gigabit could not be enough if your are unlucky due to the server side mess. 

It's under investigation hopefully it will be fixed 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/your-bandwidth-is-too-low-february-march-april-2023/573113/1496

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

In my opinion 100 Mbps should do the job for MSFS, after more than two years of observation, including the SU and WU's for which we don't want lower download speeds.

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

11 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

I roam a bit in Western US and have a few words to offer about MSFS internet speed requirements.

First there are 2 requirements that I see.  The first is what is needed for downloading MSFS and DLC from the MarketPlace.

Mostly it will depend on tbe time of day that you are downloading but 50Mps (Megabytes Per Second) seems to be the minimum.

Yes I can install the ORBX Alaska 7gig Mesh in 6 hours at that speed but why?

With 250Mps I can download the ORBX Alaska mesh in less than an hour.

Note that all off my tests are on a 5G phone network that I think is the best way to test MSFS.

The second test is while running MSFS and observing tile loading and or PG loading.  With tile loading with an LOD of 150 @ 50Mps results were mostly acceptable   Of course @ 250Mps  tile loading was not an issue but PG still errored when loading at that speed.

Finally I would reccommend at least a download speed of 50Mps and more likely 200+ just to download MSFS and any purchases from the Market Place.

sp

Not to take away from your point, which is a good one, I think you mean Megabits per second not BYTES.  

• Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11