Sign in to follow this  
spitzer45

7950x3d and 4090 performance

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:20 AM, spitzer45 said:

For now it is better not to use any expo profiles. Go with just default settings until new bios arrives.

Hi,

I’ve just installed my 7950x3d with asus x670e f mobo bios 1410.

ram

g skill Trident rgb cl30 6000

I have not enabled expo as of yet until it’s out of beta.

do You have bios recommended settings ?

i am new to AMD so any help is appreciated.

like cpu boost.

how would I enable that is that precision boost.

thanks 

mike

8 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Check out the AMD part of this vid from GN. Note on discord some have reported the 7900X blowing up as well not just the X3D.

HW News - AMD BIOS Issues, 7600 XT vs. 4060 Ti Rumors, Direct Die Fire Extinguisher - YouTube

Wow!!well if this is not sorted by ASUS soon my board is going back for. A refund.

and never again will I choose ASU’s.

word not allowed it I should have gone with gigabyte 

never had a n issue with the master board 

3 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Wow!!well if this is not sorted by ASUS soon my board is going back for. A refund.

and never again will I choose ASU’s.

word not allowed it I should have gone with gigabyte 

never had a n issue with the master board 

It's not just ASUS, it is not brand-specific.  You'll be fine, simple avoidance, don't run an EXPO profile for now as spitz45 recommends earlier in this thread.  For even more peace-of-mind for your ASUS board there is a beta BIOS available that will physically cap SoC voltage at 1.3 so with that cap in place it should be very difficult to burn one up.  Remember that there are a lot boards out there with really old BIOS's (mine shipped in April 2023 with an October 2022 BIOS)....boards are shipping with a 6 month old BIOS on a fledgling AM5 platform ("what could go wrong" I muse sarcastically).

On my rig HWInfo shows SoC voltage quite low -- just around 1.022v -- and cpu temps even in a sim session in a hot room aren't getting past 65C.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

55 minutes ago, Mace said:

It's not just ASUS, it is not brand-specific.  You'll be fine, simple avoidance, don't run an EXPO profile for now as spitz45 recommends earlier in this thread.  For even more peace-of-mind for your ASUS board there is a beta BIOS available that will physically cap SoC voltage at 1.3 so with that cap in place it should be very difficult to burn one up.  Remember that there are a lot boards out there with really old BIOS's (mine shipped in April 2023 with an October 2022 BIOS)....boards are shipping with a 6 month old BIOS on a fledgling AM5 platform ("what could go wrong" I muse sarcastically).

On my rig HWInfo shows SoC voltage quite low -- just around 1.022v -- and cpu temps even in a sim session in a hot room aren't getting past 65C.

Thank you .

yes I have indeed installed latest bios.

I’ll wait till it’s out of beta to use expo.

im new to AMD intel has a turbo boost which you just enable to get the 5ghz then using the gigabyte app I set all cores to 5ghz and done on my 9900k.

Now with with my 7950x3d how do I enable that so all cores are pegged at 5.7ghz? 

i do have a 150i elite cooler 

thanks 

mike

41 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Thank you .

yes I have indeed installed latest bios.

I’ll wait till it’s out of beta to use expo.

im new to AMD intel has a turbo boost which you just enable to get the 5ghz then using the gigabyte app I set all cores to 5ghz and done on my 9900k.

Now with with my 7950x3d how do I enable that so all cores are pegged at 5.7ghz? 

i do have a 150i elite cooler 

thanks 

mike

All cores will never run at 5.7...did you research the 7950x3D at all before you bought it? 

If you're running MSFS you don't want all cores at 5.7 ghz.  Those are the wrong cores.  For MSFS you want the 3Dvcache cores and they'll run about 4.7 to 5.2 ghz tops.

If you're running P3D then make sure you're running the *non*-vcache cores and yes those would run at approx 5.7.

You bought a 7950x3D and don't know this already?  You're going to have to make sure your cpu is running MSFS or P3D or XP on the right cores.  If you don't you'll be leaving performance on the table.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

All cores will never run at 5.7...did you research the 7950x3D at all before you bought it? 

If you're running MSFS you don't want all cores at 5.7 ghz.  Those are the wrong cores.  For MSFS you want the 3Dvcache cores and they'll run about 4.7 to 5.2 ghz tops.

If you're running P3D then make sure you're running the *non*-vcache cores and yes those would run at approx 5.7.

You bought a 7950x3D and don't know this already?  You're going to have to make sure your cpu is running MSFS or P3D or XP on the right cores.  If you don't you'll be leaving performance on the table.

Thanks for info mate.

i will solely be using msfs and steaming live.

i wil have to to some research on using 3Dvcache cores. Or find a detailed video .

cheers 

mike

On 5/8/2023 at 6:26 AM, mikeymike said:

Thanks for info mate.

i will solely be using msfs and steaming live.

i wil have to to some research on using 3Dvcache cores. Or find a detailed video .

cheers 

mike

From what I've read as long as you have installed the Xbox Game bar, MSFS will automatically use the cores that have the extra 3D cache. Apparently the Xbox Game Bar is instrumental in this; it tells Windows that a game is running that benefits from not using the other cores.
When just half the cores (those with the extra cache) are used they can run a bit faster than when all cores are used simultaneously. In fact, you want the core that is running the mainthread as fast as possible, even if it means other cores are clocked lower.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

11 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

From what I've read as long as you have installed the Xbox Game bar, MSFS will automatically use the cores that have the extra 3D cache. Apparently the Xbox Game Bar is instrumental in this; it tells Windows that a game is running that benefits from not using the other cores.
When just half the cores (those with the extra cache) are used they can run a bit faster than when all cores are used simultaneously. In fact, you want the core that is running the mainthread as fast as possible, even if it means other cores are clocked lower.

Ahh …very nice to know!!

Thank  you.

No need for process lasso.