Hey guys,

so I am purchasing the 7950x3d 

but not sure what mobo and ram to get ?

preferably 6000 cl30? So I’ve read lol.

I currently have a 9900k and a gigabyte z390 master mobo and a 3080ti surprim x which has served me well.

i do not overlock apart from stock boosts.

But I do prefer a solid mobo even thou it’s overkill.

Appreciate the help

thanks 

mike 

Edited by mikeymike

Nice! I am waiting for my 7950x3d build as well. Hopefully getting it tomorrow!

I went with an Asus ROG Strix X670E-F motherboard and 6000mhz cl30 memory. Went with that particular board as it seems to be a rather nice one and it has 4 M2 slots (planning on ditching SATA disks entirely and will use only M2). 

• Like 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Are you able to upgrade to next gen of AMD cpu with that board?

also which ram?

2 sticks or 4?

thanks

mike

Edited by mikeymike

17 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Are you able to upgrade to next gen of AMD cpu with that board?

also which ram?

2 sticks or 4?

G.Skill. Two sticks. As for upgrading the CPU later on I am not sure exactly what AMD have stated in regards to AM5. If they don't change the socket I am sure I will be able to upgrade if Asus releases BIOS drivers that supports it. Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Really look forward to the build but man I REALLY don't look forward to all the reinstalling. 

Richard

5 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Really look forward to the build but man I REALLY don't look forward to all the reinstalling. 

You don’t need to reinstall?

unless of course you are putting it all on new drives?

which specific gskill ram?

thanks 

mike

7 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

You don’t need to reinstall?

unless of course you are putting it all on new drives?

which specific gskill ram?

thanks 

mike

Yes. New drives. Besides; I would never plop in the old OS disk when I've switched out just about every piece of hardware there is..  🙂

The memory is G.Skill Trident Z5 Neos. 

• Like 1

Richard

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Yes. New drives. Besides; I would never plop in the old OS disk when I've switched out just about every piece of hardware there is..  🙂

The memory is G.Skill Trident Z5 Neos. 

How do you think my 150i water  cooler will do on the 7950x3d?

thanks 

mike

I’m leaning towards the aorus master b650e

or the x670e or is this overkill?

thanks 

mike

When you're looking at motherboards, some of the ones from Gigabyte and Asrock that I was considering are EATX, but my case while it technically will mount one blocks a lot of the pass-through openings, so I ended up with the Asus X670E-E because it was ATX and was a better fit in my case. I also went with the G.Skill Z5 Neo 6000/CL30.

53 minutes ago, ZoblebV8 said:

When you're looking at motherboards, some of the ones from Gigabyte and Asrock that I was considering are EATX, but my case while it technically will mount one blocks a lot of the pass-through openings, so I ended up with the Asus X670E-E because it was ATX and was a better fit in my case. I also went with the G.Skill Z5 Neo 6000/CL30.

I have a big case Corsair 7000x

Make sure you update your MB BIOS to the latest firmware AMD have admitted a problem that affects all 7000 series MB overvolting, all MB manufacturers updating the firmware.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

9 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Make sure you update your MB BIOS to the latest firmware AMD have admitted a problem that affects all 7000 series MB overvolting, all MB manufacturers updating the firmware.

Ok thank you 

6 hours ago, mikeymike said:

How do you think my 150i water  cooler will do on the 7950x3d?

thanks 

mike

Hard to tell.. I've been perusing YouTube and various tech sites for 'best' AIO-cooler. Had my sights set on the Arctic Liquid Freezer II as it's gotten great reviews and seem to be very silent (besides, I really like the solitary cable for CPU_FAN). That cooler won't be in stock where I am at for another month so I grabbed a 'Be Quiet' one that has maybe more 'mixed' reviews (but none 'bad').

In my current computer (5900x) I actually have a 150i and it performs perfectly fine to be honest. Especially after an all-core offset of -14 which gave me a (very) slight performance boost but lowered temps some 6-8 deg. C. After many hours in MSFS the avg. temps according to HWINFO never even reaches 65C. Will devote considerable time to do same with the 7950x3d of course. 

Of course the case you are going to use will be a factor to consider as well. For my current computer I have the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic and will be switching to the Evo to better fit in the 4090. Have also for that case bought a mesh front panel for some more fans (instead of a sheet of glass) and air flow. Hopefully It'll suffice as I've come to really like the O11 Dynamic.

All of that said, though, I would suspect your 150i will be just fine if your primary use case is MSFS and gaming. 

Richard

6 hours ago, mikeymike said:

I’m leaning towards the aorus master b650e

or the x670e or is this overkill?

I think that board will be more than adequate. 4 m.2 slots as well. After some YouTube and google-fu about AM5 boards I reached the conclusion that there seem to be no 'bad' boards. 

Richard