Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

VID....

I don't know if I can add any worth saying comments... honestly...

Looks like this is related to that project Austin mentioned sometime ago, of a Professional Airbus Flight Siimulator?

The Worst Pilots EVER - YouTube

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!!

I had two sessions on a similar A320 professional simulator, which were very nice but not motion sims. I'd really like to try a motion sim some day, because it really looks like the motion adds a lot to the immersion feeling.

Other than that, nice to see Austin having so much fun flying Airbuses in P3D 🙂

2 hours ago, Daube said:

I had two sessions on a similar A320 professional simulator, which were very nice but not motion sims. I'd really like to try a motion sim some day, because it really looks like the motion adds a lot to the immersion feeling.

Other than that, nice to see Austin having so much fun flying Airbuses in P3D 🙂

Around year 2000 I was offered by the TAP head of operations, the chance to try the back then CAE A320 sim at TAP's training centre, not far from my office here at LPPT 🙂

During that full hour I started with a pushback from one of the gates at LPPT, started taxiing, and even felt the taxi light bumps !  Then asked for a gusting / stormy takeoff from LPPT 21, and 4 landings at Funchal 05 🙂 including two with limit wind intensities ...

The full flight sim is a remarkable experience I will never forget, yet, I can say that it felt different from the various jumpseat flights and landing in the cockpit I was lucky to experience in A320s and A319s... The real thing felt less "on the rails" 🙂 I'd say with more inertia, I'd (again) say pretty much like same rides on B737s jumpseat felt...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

those fawning over motion sims...

Just to point out, VR gives you a significant amount of the sensations of motion - perhaps more so, because most of these motion sims are still only a 2D projection, and virtually all of your motion perception (especially speed) is visual rather than inner ear.

obviously you do want a 6dof motion platform to plonk yourself in to as well.

Ive not done one of those platforms, but I have done those similar ones you get at the fair, and they have nothing on what you get from VR.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2

AutoATC Developer

A friend glider pilot who also plays Condorsoring, tried VR the other day, and was surprised by a disorientation event - ending up in him falling from the chair, without consequences 🙂

If I was a bit sceptical about trying VR again ( did it maybe 12 years ago with one of the first solutions that became available by that time ), now I will definitely not even try it 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Priceless to see Austin's face when landed with gear up! 

Alexander Colka

On 5/2/2023 at 12:24 PM, mSparks said:

Just to point out, VR gives you a significant amount of the sensations of motion

Maybe this is down to the person as I have never acted like that chap when using VR.  I like the effect of VR and do play several games using my HP Reverb G2.

I would love to give VR another go with XP12, but my limited tries so far have been juddery nightmares, so I haven't pursued it.  Got any useful links to how I should configure the G2/Windows/addon VR apps etc?

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Maybe this is down to the person as I have never acted like that chap when using VR

also the scene, had plenty of people screaming on the ps4 with the various rides and horror stories on there.

personally Ive done 300kph round a race track, so I tend to find fairground rides boring

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Got any useful links to how I should configure the G2/Windows/addon VR apps etc?

I was actually discussing it with the monado devs last night, not got to try it yet, but

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

looks promising while we wait patiently for native openxr support.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

15 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Maybe this is down to the person as I have never acted like that chap when using VR.  I like the effect of VR and do play several games using my HP Reverb G2.

I would love to give VR another go with XP12, but my limited tries so far have been juddery nightmares, so I haven't pursued it.  Got any useful links to how I should configure the G2/Windows/addon VR apps etc?

Looking forward to the results of your investigations.

I'm also facing some problems with VR in XP12 right now. Performance is okay-ish since I lowered my settings drastically (my computer is outdated), but I'm facing an issue with the default zoom... it's weird, something is wrong, like the default field of view is wrong, and I can't fix it... and everytime I just in and out of VR, the performance gets worse and worse, but this is a known bug it seems.