Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

BlackSquare Bonanza - very good!

18 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

All of the Black Square products are very good.  Some users overlook them because they use default exterior models and partial sounds.  But the amount of systems depth and excellent beautiful analog instruments are well worth it.

And they're making a Beech Duke from scratch next.  (Correction after the analog TBM 850) Maybe the purists will be happy then!

I'll be purchasing both for sure. I have fond memories of the RealAir Duke, and I took the default TBM for a spin recently and was syrprised how much I liked it. It felt a lot like the Piper Malibu Mirage/Meriidian I remember from the days of "Fly!".

The Black Square King Air is right up there with the AirfoilLabs King Air for XP11 as far as I can see.  The only Black Square product I haven't got is the Caravan, and that's only because I've never been mad about it (the R/L aircraft that is, not the Black Square treatment). That said, with Aerosoft not having given their Twotter the same depth as the Extended version in FSX/P3D, the BS Caravan might make a nice hi-fi bush plane. Feck, I'm talking myself into it...

Additional three words which also describe how good this Bonanza is: radio signal degradation 

Edited by pemigris
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Some like to argue that MSFS only has better scenery..  but I actually like the in-cockpit experience better in these airplanes as well.  Subtle things like the lighting in MSFS are just in an other league.

If you think the cockpit is good now - download this:

https://flightsim.to/file/52576/black-square-a36-bonanza-enhanced-cockpit

About

Enhanced cockpit  texture and digits for this wonderful mod that Black Square created.This "mod of the mod" has been designed to add small details to gauges, placards and instruments.You'll find hereafter non exhaustiv modifications made:

-All cockpit placards redesigned with real life fonts used by manufacturer to label buttons and warnings.

-Beechcraft logo added to some instruments.

-KI-525 redrawn with real life instrument textures.

-KI-229 compass redrawn with real life instrument textures.Yellow/ Green Needles colors corrected (were inverted in the original instrument)

-KI206 compass redrawn with real life instrument textures.

-KRA-10 redrawn with real life instrument textures.

-Bendix-King and Garmin suite redesigned with correct fonts and logos.

-Bendix-King/EDM800 digits reshaped to give them a less flat appearance.

-Bendix-KIng font corrected for Number "7" digit which has in real life 3 segments iso 4.

-Red /orangish background added to all Bendix/KIng suite.

To make sure that this mod has no impact on performance, textures size haven't been increased.I made my best to use pixels available in the original product so you shouldn't see any performance degradation when using it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm really tempted to get this. I love the systems depth on the Blackbird 310R, and this seems like a similar experience (more detailed in some ways). For those of you who have the Black Square Bonanza, how is the flight model? Has anyone tried using Robert Young's flight model (from his Turbo Bonanza) with this addon? Or is the existing flight model similarly good? 

This review from FlyFromHome (a flight instructor) suggests the flight model, especially in slow flight and stalls, is questionable: 

I also watched 737NG Driver's review, and the turbo variant seemed to have really surprising climb performance. I find the stock G36 Bonanza and the G36 Improvement Mod to have really "easy" flight models that feel almost toy-like compared to higher-fidelity planes in the sim (310R, 414AW, Just Flight Warrior and Arrow, etc). Having never flown a Bonanza, I don't know about its accuracy. I read a written flight review of a Bonanza once that said it lands like a C172, so maybe it really is as easy as it feels in the stock plane. 

Any comments on the flight model?

35 minutes ago, Marc Collins said:

I'm really tempted to get this. I love the systems depth on the Blackbird 310R, and this seems like a similar experience (more detailed in some ways). For those of you who have the Black Square Bonanza, how is the flight model? Has anyone tried using Robert Young's flight model (from his Turbo Bonanza) with this addon? Or is the existing flight model similarly good? 

This review from FlyFromHome (a flight instructor) suggests the flight model, especially in slow flight and stalls, is questionable: 

I also watched 737NG Driver's review, and the turbo variant seemed to have really surprising climb performance. I find the stock G36 Bonanza and the G36 Improvement Mod to have really "easy" flight models that feel almost toy-like compared to higher-fidelity planes in the sim (310R, 414AW, Just Flight Warrior and Arrow, etc). Having never flown a Bonanza, I don't know about its accuracy. I read a written flight review of a Bonanza once that said it lands like a C172, so maybe it really is as easy as it feels in the stock plane. 

Any comments on the flight model?

I was on the Bonanza owners forum earlier, and a fair few mentioned how they actually found landing the Bonanza even easier than a 172 due to the increased weight and similar stability, but I'm no expert! One interestingly point many mentioned is that although its a very forgiving aircraft, if you end up in IMC without training and stop paying attention, it can end up in a stall quickly. Can't imagine much more frightening than being in spin in clouds with no idea how to fly IMC.

I know the flight model has had some tweaks, and a few Bonanza pilots on the MSFS seems happy enough - but I think it's a modification of stock as opposed to completely accurate.

My impression is that its a survey level flight model against the backdrop of study level systems. The manual would corroborate this too I think as there's not a lot on the FM (other than that they've tweaked it), but around 85 pages on systems.

Happy to be corrected on this - its just the impressions I've picked up!

Edited by Bigbluss

1 hour ago, Marc Collins said:

For those of you who have the Black Square Bonanza, how is the flight model? Has anyone tried using Robert Young's flight model (from his Turbo Bonanza) with this addon?

I can't say for certain, but I thought someone on here a few weeks ago had mentioned they use Robert Young's flight model with the BS Bonanza. I cannot remember who posted that though. From my own experience, I thoroughly enjoy this aircraft (as well as the other BS offerings). And, I have the MilViz 310R, the FSW 414C and the Just Flight arrows and I, without question, prefer to fly the BS aircraft over any of those. The system modeling, for me, makes that much of a difference. I feel like the flight model has been tweaked some, but the BS focus was and is on systems modeling thus far. To each their own though, and all those other aircraft I just mentioned are great MSFS GA addon's in their own right. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11