Sign in to follow this  
Medic1030

New PC build for MSFS - looking for feedback

Hi folks,

I think I’m finally going to make the final switch from FSX to MSFS. My current sim build is about 6 years old and it’s time for a new computer build to go along with the full switch to MSFS. My budget is modest. Something like a a GTX from Jetline Systems isn’t in the cards for me, so I’m looking for some feedback on a custom build that I can afford.

Here’s what I’m thinking so far:

CPU: Intel i7-13700KF 

Graphics: MSI Ventura 3X GeForce RTX 4070

Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 Altus Elite AX

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32GB (2x16GB) 5600 CL30

Cooling: undecided, air cooling

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro with heat sink (1TB) 

(OS will be on a separate, likely smaller, SSD)

Case: undecided, mid tower

Power supply: undecided, 750w, gold+

Looking for some feedback on how well this will run MSFS and whether it’s relatively future-proof. 

For those with a similar set-up, what kind of slider settings would I be looking at being able to run with this?

I’ll be running it on a 1440p monitor for the foreseeable future, but if I ever do upgrade to 4K will this be able to keep up? I also may at some point set up a second, lower quality monitor for panel pop-outs.

Anyway, are the hardware experts’ thoughts?

Thanks

Corey

Windows 11 | i7-13700K processor | Nvidia RTX 4070 video card | Pro Z790P WiFi motherboard | 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5, 5200 MHz RAM | MSI Liquid 240 cooler | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, NVMe PCI-E 3.0 SSD (x2 - 1 dedicated for MSFS; another for the OS and everything else) | Ethernet network connection being used | 32" 1440P IPS, 165 Hz, G-Sync compatible (range: 20 Hz to 165 Hz) monitor | Currently using Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant, with CH rudder pedals. Plan to upgrade all to Honeycomb|

Hi,

I'm no expert but I've done my share of research.

It looks good except for the power supply. An 850W is the bare minimum for that system, I would think. You may also want to think about going for a 2TB SSD instead of the 1TB, depending on how many add-ons (scenery, aircraft, airports etc) you plan on getting. 1TB fills up fast!
There has been a lot of debate regarding the latest 40-series cards from nVidia. The 4070s haven't received much love from reviewers and the 4080 (which is what I'd be aiming for, budget allowing) is at a higher price point than it should be. The AMD equivalents seem to be offering better value although, and this is a biggie, they do not (yet) offer DLSS 3, which is the major advantage of the nVidia 40series family. This is a tough choice.

As for cooling, if you're leaning towards an air cooler go for the beefier ones. Even if you don't overclock the 13700 it can generate a fair amount of heat.

Don't worry about "future proofing". There really is no such thing. As for the 4K eventual jump I believe you'll be ok as long as you don't expect to be running MSFS on Ultra with demanding add-on panels.

As you can see from my specs I am running a lower spec machine (recently built as my very much older i5-3750K/2TB GTX670 simply could not handle MSFS) than the one you plan on building yet I am very pleased with the performance I am getting from MSFS and my settings in the sim are on the higher side.
I am also running P3D and the performance there is beyond excellent.

Best of luck with the new machine!

Edited by speedyTC
  • Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. You’ve given me a few things has to think about.

Corey

Windows 11 | i7-13700K processor | Nvidia RTX 4070 video card | Pro Z790P WiFi motherboard | 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5, 5200 MHz RAM | MSI Liquid 240 cooler | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, NVMe PCI-E 3.0 SSD (x2 - 1 dedicated for MSFS; another for the OS and everything else) | Ethernet network connection being used | 32" 1440P IPS, 165 Hz, G-Sync compatible (range: 20 Hz to 165 Hz) monitor | Currently using Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant, with CH rudder pedals. Plan to upgrade all to Honeycomb|

You've got a really nice CPU with a lower paired GPU (not low end but just unevenly paired imo).  I'd try for a 4080 especially if you're wanting 4K ultra settings.  At 1440p (which is what I use) you'll be just fine with the proposed system.  I have to be careful saying things like "a 4070 is a low end card" hehe cause it's not - it's clearly almost as good as a 3090 but with a lot less vram.  Again totally excellent at 1440p but maybe not stellar at 4k ultra.  I bet 4k high would be fine.

I have a very similar build that I did in Feb last year with a 12700K / 32gb ddr5 and 2x 2TB M.2 drives.  I added my 4080 last Nov.  So I would echo the statement about getting a 2TB M.2!

Cooling?  How about a Noctua NH D15?  https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

Case?  I really love my Corsair icue 5000X.  It's technically mid tower but to me it's like the old full sized cases I used to do my AMD builds in lol (ok that was a LONG time ago).  It's kinda pricey so it might break the budget.  The 4000X is about 130 USD at amazon right now on sale - perhaps consider that one.

BTW, I came from an identical system to what you currently have....and my first system upgrade (had a 970 then got a 1080 ti for cheap) but went from a 4790K to 12700K was about 2x the performance.  Then when I got the 4080 I doubled or quadrupled my fps if you consider using Frame Generation.  You'd have a stronger proposed CPU but my 4080 is more powerful than your proposed GPU.  Anyway that being said I think the results would be similar.  I tend to do 60-80 fps in frame gen at complex payware scenarios with heavy weather and AI.  Outside of that like more rural GA I'll easily go triple digits LOL!  It's been amazing and well worth the money.  People balk at the cost of the 40xx cards but to me it was WELL worth it.  I just wish I had went for the 4090.  (Oh well the 5090 will come out someday hehe).

Oh one more thing - I think the 750w is plenty.  I ran my entire rig plus 5.1 speakers/SW, dual monitor setup in VR with HIGH sliders and the PSU at max said 520w (using Kill-a-Watt).  That was in heavy payware scenarios.  When I switched back to pancake mode (at ultra sliders) I was only seeing 430w max.  I know people swear by over doing it with the PSU but a high end 750w will be totally solid for your proposed build.

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This community always impresses me. The fact that people here take the time to provide such detailed and helpful replies is really appreciated. Thanks so much. 

Corey

On 5/11/2023 at 2:06 PM, Medic1030 said:

Hi folks,

I think I’m finally going to make the final switch from FSX to MSFS. My current sim build is about 6 years old and it’s time for a new computer build to go along with the full switch to MSFS. My budget is modest. Something like a a GTX from Jetline Systems isn’t in the cards for me, so I’m looking for some feedback on a custom build that I can afford.

Here’s what I’m thinking so far:

CPU: Intel i7-13700KF 

Graphics: MSI Ventura 3X GeForce RTX 4070

Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 Altus Elite AX

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32GB (2x16GB) 5600 CL30

Cooling: undecided, air cooling

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro with heat sink (1TB) 

(OS will be on a separate, likely smaller, SSD)

Case: undecided, mid tower

Power supply: undecided, 750w, gold+

Looking for some feedback on how well this will run MSFS and whether it’s relatively future-proof. 

For those with a similar set-up, what kind of slider settings would I be looking at being able to run with this?

I’ll be running it on a 1440p monitor for the foreseeable future, but if I ever do upgrade to 4K will this be able to keep up? I also may at some point set up a second, lower quality monitor for panel pop-outs.

Anyway, are the hardware experts’ thoughts?

Thanks

I only run in 4K on a 60" TV that has a limit of 60hz.

All my MSFS setting are Ultra and I can fly places such as Sydney, NY, LA etc and I get a constant 60 FPS in DX11 mode. It's the limit due to the 60hz TV, but It's super smooth.

In DX12 Beta with DLSS & DLSS Frame Generation, I get 110-130 FPS. It's also super smooth, but I get ground textures popping in and out. From investigation and online searches, it appears to be a bug with the DX12 Beta. DLSS Frame Generation, is only available in DX12. So I currently use DX11.

My System specs...

Motherboard: MSI X670-Pro Wifi

CPU: AMD 9750x3d

RAM: 32GB DDR5 Corsair 6000Mhz C30

Video: MSI 4070ti Ventura 3X

Windows 11 Pro,

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Thanks to all who responded. Based on my budget I’ve gone ahead and pretty much locked in with the specs listed above (details now in my signature below). Running this out of the box so to speak (without any overclocking) at 1440p how can I expect my performance to be? Any specific settings that anybody here thinks I should back off of ultra or otherwise adjust? Should I overclocking? What added benefits can I expect with overclocking the CPU, or the video card?

Corey