Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

Swiss001 showing AutoOrtho, maybe Austin will take notice!

Those of you who are curious about AuthoOrtho, here is a showcase.   Trust me that load time feels eternity for me in my system. I wish LR would so some under the hood improvement to help loading on demand for addon like this one and many others to come. 

• Like 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

I’ve stopped using it. Loading times are atrocious and you end up getting stutters all around. It is a nice tech demo with a very cumbersome install process, but that’s all. 

• Like 4

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I tried it and I was getting freezes and CTDs so I got back to my usual orthos. I don't think Laminar would come up to something like this due to licensing issues. But what they could do is some sort of trick to extract data from orthos and draw textures.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

18 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

I tried it and I was getting freezes and CTDs so I got back to my usual orthos. I don't think Laminar would come up to something like this due to licensing issues. But what they could do is some sort of trick to extract data from orthos and draw textures.

LR don't need to do Ortho.  They just need to optimize scenery loading code so 3rd party can use that for creating streaming products.  At the moment AutoOrtho is unusable with the crazy load time in XP12.  However it loads much faster under XP11. 

• Like 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

34 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

LR don't need to do Ortho.  They just need to optimize scenery loading code so 3rd party can use that for creating streaming products.  At the moment AutoOrtho is unusable with the crazy load time in XP12.  However it loads much faster under XP11. 

Isn't the load time actually the time it downloads the images from the internet?

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

Unfortunately, with Autoortho I had a lot of freezes up to several minutes during the flight. Also, sometimes tiles were not loaded (had never a problem in MSFS).

Installation is quite simple though.

As much as I wish Autoortho would work, the freezes were driving me insane, uninstalled it.

I have 6 TB of Orthos for Europe and USA but they are fast and storage is cheap, so regular Orthos are not a problem for me.

The situation were I would need Autoortho is when I fly in Asia or Africa, for example. But that is only 1% of my flights.

Edited by banklimit

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

very cumbersome install process, but that’s all. 

Maybe you are referring to an older version?  Instalation now is a single button press, with a single button press to run it.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

8 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

At the moment AutoOrtho is unusable with the crazy load time in XP12

How would you define 'crazy' load times?  When using AutoAutho I experience about three minutes load time, which seems acceptable for me considering you get worlwide streaming ortho.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

7 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

Isn't the load time actually the time it downloads the images from the internet?

Thats correct.

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

How would you define 'crazy' load times?  When using AutoAutho I experience about three minutes load time, which seems acceptable for me considering you get worlwide streaming ortho.

I’m having about 50-75 Min loading time if its a new area. If i go to an area with already downloaded tiles, it needs a few minutes more than normal. But then i’m having freezes every 10-15 minutes with loading times beetween 2-10 minutes. And i absolutely don’t understand why. I have an 100Mbps Internet (only used by 5-10% during downloads of the images). Have an i9 12900K and GTX3090. Tried everything (put exceptions for the for anti-virus), installed last Nvidia-drivers, installed all Win11-updates, restarted PC many times. No chance! 

Edited by Franz007

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

3 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

I’m having about 50-75 Min loading time if its a new area.

Oh!  I have never experienced anything like that.  I steered clear of AutoOrtho when it was first available because of the lengthy install, but installed it when the install became a single click.  Are you on the latest version?

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Oh!  I have never experienced anything like that.  I steered clear of AutoOrtho when it was first available because of the lengthy install, but installed it when the install became a single click.  Are you on the latest version?

Yeah, I really just don't understand why it works for some and not for me. I am almost sure that i am using the last version because i downloaded it like 2 weeks ago. And the last version is from 3 weeks ago. But to be sure i will try to donwload it again, but doubt it will help. It's really weird.

17 hours ago, GCBraun said:

I’ve stopped using it. Loading times are atrocious and you end up getting stutters all around. It is a nice tech demo with a very cumbersome install process, but that’s all. 

All perfect here. Loading lasts no more than 2 mins, no stutters with the latest versions. Talking about XP11. Tested in in XP12 also, but it was a short pattern flight.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Good news.  I downloaded the latest and it is a big step up from where this plugin was back in Jan.  I finished a demanding flight with these setup without issue. 

• FSCharter
  • Pilot2ATC
  • WT3
  • Navigraph
  • AutoOrtho

The loading time decreased a lot.  I had one freeze for 30 sec in the entire duration of the flight.  FSCharter didn't disconnect or invalided the flight.  So far so good. 

• Like 2

The latest version is much better and now my "freezes" during the flight only last around 10-30 sec. (before 2- 10 min). Its still needs around 25-45 minutes to load to a new airport though. But this tool is EXTREMELY promising and i already had fantastic experiences. We (the XP-community) should be much more supportive of that tool because it is/will be a game-changer! I cannot understand why it isn't more discussed and/or valued.

• Like 1