Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

External view flickering

I have an Intel I9 13900K CPU and a nVidia 4090 GPU. On occasions when I switch to external view I get flickering and lines appearing. The monitor is IIyama GB2888UHSU. Is this something to do with refresh rates - or is it something else?

It is only the external view - I have absolutely no problem with the internal view in the cockpit.

The PC is connected to the monitor via the display port - the cable is new - but the monitor (which is 4K) is 8 years old...............could that be something to do with it?

I had the same issue on my old PC and thought that might be due to the GPU 'overheating' - but the new GPU is water cooled - so do not think that is the cause with the new PC - so have elimunated that.

Just trying to work it out

Edited by SquadronLeader

George Westwell

I swear there was a post yesterday with someone mentioning the same exact thing. I just quickly tried to find the thread, but I've got to get going. Maybe you'll have better luck finding it. 

Do you have G-Sync active in NVCP? I am pretty sure that it is this ominous VRR flickering you see. I have the same on my DELL S2721DGFA, it took me some time to get it sorted and reduced to an acceptable level. I never got totally rid of it unless I turn off G-sync, which in turn results in a less smooth experience. So I take occasional flickers anytime over no G-sync. 

What I did? Two things I think greatly reduced my flickering issue:

1. change the "render ahead" setting in NVCP from "1" to "let the 3D application decide". 

2. Download CRU and reduce the freesync range (how to's can be found online). I reduced mine from 48-165Hz down to 90-165Hz. 

All other potential solutions I found online did not do the trick in my case...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks for the suggestions guys - but I think I have solved the problem. My PC was connected to my monitor using the display port connectors. I switched the cable to HDMI (4K) and so far I have had no further flickering.

Hope this may help others.

• Like 1

George Westwell

Interesting. My bet would be that due to the switch to a HDMI cable, you can no longer run the max refresh rate as you did with the DP cable. This would explain why the flickering is gone...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

41 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Interesting. My bet would be that due to the switch to a HDMI cable, you can no longer run the max refresh rate as you did with the DP cable. This would explain why the flickering is gone...

You are right - in that previously I had a refresh rate of 60Hz and now it is 30Hz. Personally, I have not noticed any change - would you expect to?

Edited by SquadronLeader

George Westwell

Well, this depends on you. If you are happy with 30Hz and no flickering, perfect. Personally I use G-sync with up to 120-130Hz, depending on the FPS, and I would certainly not be happy with 30Hz only. That is why I gave the tipps to how you can reduce the flickering to an acceptable level...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

I have had this problem since release at airports looking in to the sun, and I have not find any cure for it, but does G-Sync work via HDMI?

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

3 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I have had this problem since release at airports looking in to the sun, and I have not find any cure for it, but does G-Sync work via HDMI?

https://nerdybeaver.com/do-g-sync-and-freesync-work-with-hdmi/

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I had a similar issue, but it was a faint flicker in the cockpit view. It turned out to be having Vsync set to “Fast” in the Nvidia Control Panel. Turning Vsync back to “on” fixed the issue. I’m using a Gsync monitor. 

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot