Sign in to follow this  
btacon

RESOLVED?: Can’t Client Only from 5.3 HF2 to 5.4

It runs then throws up a black box, about two inches tall full of version numbers. It says my version is not compatible?  Anyone else seeing this or am I an edge case? (Usually harder to find and resolve 🤨)

TIA,

-B

PLEASE SEE LAST POST

Edited by btacon

1 hour ago, btacon said:

It runs then throws up a black box, about two inches tall full of version numbers. It says my version is not compatible?  Anyone else seeing this or am I an edge case? (Usually harder to find and resolve 🤨)

-B

Edited by Peter Webber
Typo

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

What process are you following to update the Cleint?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Just now, vonmar said:

Thanks. I get that. I’ve done Client only for as long as LM has allowed them, early version 3 I think. 

No, my problem is not How, but Why in my case it does not want to cooperate. I will attempt it again and make a video as the error box only appears for two to three seconds and the poof!  Gone forever. 

Just now, Peter Webber said:

What process are you following to update the Cleint?

The same as is in the LM instructions. I uninstall client only and say no to deregestration.  I then run the client MSI. It runs gets to the end and throws up a two to three second error.  I will try to capture the error in video as it’s quite elusive! 😎

6 minutes ago, btacon said:

Thanks. I get that. I’ve done Client only for as long as LM has allowed them, early version 3 I think. 

No, my problem is not How, but Why in my case it does not want to cooperate. I will attempt it again and make a video as the error box only appears for two to three seconds and the poof!  Gone forever. 

Hi,

My post was actually a reply to Peter's post but he deleted it.

It was to confirm that Client only is ok.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

12 minutes ago, btacon said:

The same as is in the LM instructions. I uninstall client only and say no to deregestration.  I then run the client MSI. It runs gets to the end and throws up a two to three second error.  I will try to capture the error in video as it’s quite elusive! 😎

Did you verify the downloaded ZIP's Checksum?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

36 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Did you verify the downloaded ZIP's Checksum?

No, but it extracted without error and the MSI runs to completion (green prog bar) then the error msg. 
I will check the checksum!  Thx

Edited by btacon

Third times a charm I guess. I ran the deinstall/reinstall client process one ,ore time so I could get a video to show all what was happening. Did exactly the same steps as before except this time I was recording it. 

It seems that the error message was for AS and it’s P3d connector. This time the error message stayed up and I was able to see what it said.  Ran the latest AS beta and all seems well…no wait.  It JUST CTD’d just before menu screen. More to follow
-B

Have you ever considered a full re-install of the new version? Since all of my addons are now outside of the sim in my library, it's almost as easy as Client only....full deletion of old version including left over files, and fresh install of new version.

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

And even with addons in the sim directory, just uninstall full sim, leave the remaining files where they are and install full new. It takes a bit longer than only client but you don't have to solve problems afterwards. 

In case you have repaints for default airplanes, it makes sense to create new aircraft in their own directories with these alternate liveries. I made this for the Blackhawk and the C-130, to avoid deletion every time I reinstall. 

• Upvote 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

10 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Have you ever considered a full re-install of the new version? Since all of my addons are now outside of the sim in my library, it's almost as easy as Client only....full deletion of old version including left over files, and fresh install of new version.

4 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

And even with addons in the sim directory, just uninstall full sim, leave the remaining files where they are and install full new. It takes a bit longer than only client but you don't have to solve problems afterwards. 

In case you have repaints for default airplanes, it makes sense to create new aircraft in their own directories with these alternate liveries. I made this for the Blackhawk and the C-130, to avoid deletion every time I reinstall. 

Good Morning to all and thank you to Peter and Blaunarwal for their timely and correct advice.

It seems that my mean old eyes fooled me, where I thought I was on 5.3 HF2, it seems that at some point in time I had reverted to 5.2 HF1. It must have been to much of a bridge to cross to successfully complete a client upgrade , so I went ahead and did what the two kind souls suggest and completely deinstall and reinstall P3d to 5.3 HF3.  Actually I had already done so by the time I read thier posts, but hey…bright minds think alike!

As my system is again restored and functioning albeit on one version behind where I wanted to go, I think I will sit and rest for a few more reports concerning 5.4. I’m quite satisfied with where I wound up…at least for now!😎

Thanks again to all and this problem ticket can be considered closed.

-B

Edited by btacon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, btacon said:

I think I will sit and rest for a few more reports concerning 5.4.

Glad to hear you brought your sim to a integral standard and it's running fine. I'm also waiting with v5.4 until the addons I need get adapted.

Regards

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

4 hours ago, btacon said:

so I went ahead and did what the two kind souls suggest and completely deinstall and reinstall P3d to 5.3 HF3.

There isn’t a v5.3HF3. 5.3HF2 was recently updated to v5.4.

But the change from 5.3HF1 to 5.3HF2 was significant. Check the [Job Scheduler] section of your Prepar3D.cfg.

Post it here together with your CPU and whether you have Hyperthreading enabled. It’s possible you don’t have optimal settings for your CPU.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather