Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Gonna Jump to 7800x3D...thoughts?

15 hours ago, Ardbeg1977 said:

For anyone building a new PC just for flight sim, now, I think this is the way to go. Your parts choices look fine. I would say the X3D chips do run very hot because of the extra cache on top of the die. So, get the best air cooler or AIO you can afford and get a case with good airflow properties (check out Gamers Nexus for case reviews). My 5800X3D regularly peaks in the low 90's when running the sim. I have a dark Rock Pro 4 cooler fitted currently but I have bought an Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO to replace it. For the Power Supply, I went for a Seasonic Vertex GX 1200, as it has one of the new 12VHPWR cables included as standard.

think you will be happy with the performance of the 3090 with the new chip and would only need to consider the 4000 series or higher, if you wanted to get into VR and run it to a good level. I bit the bullet and bought a 4090, which will be fitted along with the AIO and PSU in the next week or two. I've had the parts for a few weeks but have been too bombed out from work to get around to doing the upgrade! Best of luck with your build.

Thanks David, appreciated. regularly peaks in the low 90's Blimey, that sounds high when fitted with a high performing cooler. Is that with the factory turbo boost, if so what speed is that running at?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

12 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Thanks David, appreciated. regularly peaks in the low 90's Blimey, that sounds high when fitted with a high performing cooler. Is that with the factory turbo boost, if so what speed is that running at?

The X3D chips can't be overclocked, at least not officially. So, it's running at stock. Theoretically, a maximum of 4.5GHz but I think I get just over 4.4, I guess because the cooler isn't keeping it cool enough. The Dark Rock cooler worked fine with my previous cpu, 3900X but with the added cache on the 5800X3D, it's struggling to cope. I tried re-pasting a couple of times but it didn't seem to make any difference. The Arctic AIO has an off-set mounting bracket, which seats the cooling plate more over the 3D V-cache and is supposed to help with keeping the temps down. I'm hoping to knock at least 5 degrees off, maybe 10. From the videos I've seen online, it does look a bit fiddly to mount but it can't be worse than the DR Pro 4 (I hope!).

Although it runs a bit hot, the actual performance is fine, pretty smooth, apart from the usual places like flying over dense cities, like London. It's not in the 90's all the time, just occasionally one or more of the cores will peak briefly and then subside. When not running MSFS, it idles at about 50-55 degrees.

The 5800X3D was a big step up from the 3900X and I'm hoping the 4090 will give me that final bit of smoothness in demanding locations / scenarios. I think the 7800X3D is about 15-20% faster, on average, depending on the game, than the 5800X3D. At 4K, there won't be much difference between a 7800X3D and a 13900K. The 13900K also runs hot, so that would need a good cooler, too. I think if you just want to use it for flight simulation the AMD chip is the better option. If you needed to do productivity tasks like blender or video editing etc, as well, Intel would be the way to go.

• Like 1

[David Biddle]

5800X3D, X570 Aorus Master, G.Skill 32GB 3200 CL14, Asus RTX 4090 TUF OC, Alienware AW3420DW. Fulcrum Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals. HP Reverb G2.

6 hours ago, Ardbeg1977 said:

I'm hoping to knock at least 5 degrees off, maybe 10.

You should easily achieve this with a 360mm AIO. Using a 240mm AIO, My 5800X3D normally runs 60-70C in MSFS and can get into the mid 70s if flying a fast aircraft over photogrammetry areas. The highest I've ever seen in MSFS operations is 79C.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I'm looking at upgrading from a 13900k and 3090 to a 7800x3d and 4090. Does the 7800x3d perform better than the 7950x3d?

Edited by Evan

Evan Hardin 

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Does the 7800x3d perform better than the 7950x3d?

probably identical, but less hassle since doesn't have/need core parking utilities that caused problems with the 7950x3D reportedly. the 7800x3D - RTX 4090 combo currently is the best money can buy for MSFS. see my signature. I would not expect major improvement over 13900K if that one gets overclocked to 5.8GHz, 7800x3D can not and does not need overclocking to outperform the 13900K, even at its mere 4.2 - (boost up to 5.0 GHz). and runs at normally around only 75-80 degrees Celsius. keyword: 5 nanometer production versus outdated Intel 10 nanometer.

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/ryzen-7-7800x3d.c3022

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/core-i9-13900k.c2817

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 6/8/2023 at 3:18 AM, Rockliffe said:

My 7800X3D never passes 70C in an MSFS sim session, so I don't know what this 90C stuff is all about, maybe that's with Prime95 + AVX?

Also, I'm getting 110-120 fps totally smooth at major hubs with addons.   And I'm not even running an EXPO profile yet.

There is no problem running P2ATC, FS2Crew RAAS Pro, LittleNavMap, Navigraph, FSLTL, and all the fixin's either with this cpu.  No Process Lasso needed, no messing with affinity at all.  Just run and forget it.

Do not think in terms of clock speed or overclocking with these cpu's.  Clockspeed has little significance with this hardware under MSFS.  If you run XPlane or P3D then ignore that last sentence.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

My 7800X3D never passes 70C in an MSFS sim session, so I don't know what this 90C stuff is all about, maybe that's with Prime95 + AVX?

Also, I'm getting 110-120 fps totally smooth at major hubs with addons.   And I'm not even running an EXPO profile yet.

There is no problem running P2ATC, FS2Crew RAAS Pro, LittleNavMap, Navigraph, FSLTL, and all the fixin's either with this cpu.  No Process Lasso needed, no messing with affinity at all.  Just run and forget it.

Do not think in terms of clock speed or overclocking with these cpu's.  Clockspeed has little significance with this hardware under MSFS.  If you run XPlane or P3D then ignore that last sentence.

Interesting Rhett. Perhaps you can help me get my head around the speed thing. Am I right in thinking that the 7800x3D will run as fast as the temperature will allow? I see it is being sold as having a 5Ghz clock speed, but then read that some users are running at 4.5Ghz. So am I right in thinking that if I get the temps down lower, then the CPU will run faster on it's own accord? My thinking is that I install Liquid AIO cooler as opposed to a good quality air cooler. Cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

4 hours ago, Mace said:

I just hit (momentary) high 80s a couple times on the approach to de Gaulle in the Headwind A330, in a thunderstorm, using high amounts of FSLTL and TLOD 200. (Average CPU temps over the whole flight were something like 60C.) Going with a 240 radiator may arguably have been a minor mistake, but FWIW my temps very rarely break 80 in a typical MSFS session and usually hang out in the 50s and 60s.

In cinebench, on the other hand, temps range between 85 and 89. As I understand it, that’s because that’s the way these CPUs are designed: when there’s demand, they basically throttle up right to the thermal limit and then throttle back as needed. In that sense, Rockcliffe is right that more cooling would enable higher sustained boost speeds. It’s mostly academic for MSFS at this point, but the theory is sound. 🙂

James

8 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Interesting Rhett. Perhaps you can help me get my head around the speed thing. Am I right in thinking that the 7800x3D will run as fast as the temperature will allow? I see it is being sold as having a 5Ghz clock speed, but then read that some users are running at 4.5Ghz. So am I right in thinking that if I get the temps down lower, then the CPU will run faster on it's own accord? My thinking is that I install Liquid AIO cooler as opposed to a good quality air cooler. Cheers.

Well, the thing is, whether it runs at 4.2 ghz or 4.5 ghz the MSFS performance will be outstanding regardless.  What is 3 fps difference when you're already getting 110?  Just check it once or twice after setup with MSI Afterburner and CPU-Z, just to verify that it's running about where it should, and then forget about clock speed.  It's a different mindset than Intel's present lineup.

I run a 360 Corsair AIO and I'm running it in a Corsair 7000D Airflow case.  It's working well.  I need to re-check temps again now that my ambient is a little higher (I tested in early May, but it's now mid-June and the house is a bit hotter), but the main heat in my case is from the 4090, but even the 4090 runs cooler than the 3080ti it replaced.  We have a really nice set of technology at this moment for MSFS, with the nvidia 4-series and the 7xxx3D.

Rhett

5 hours ago, honanhal said:

I just hit (momentary) high 80s a couple times on the approach to de Gaulle in the Headwind A330, in a thunderstorm, using high amounts of FSLTL and TLOD 200. (Average CPU temps over the whole flight were something like 60C.) Going with a 240 radiator may arguably have been a minor mistake, but FWIW my temps very rarely break 80 in a typical MSFS session and usually hang out in the 50s and 60s.

In cinebench, on the other hand, temps range between 85 and 89. As I understand it, that’s because that’s the way these CPUs are designed: when there’s demand, they basically throttle up right to the thermal limit and then throttle back as needed. In that sense, Rockcliffe is right that more cooling would enable higher sustained boost speeds. It’s mostly academic for MSFS at this point, but the theory is sound. 🙂

James

Yes I think only if you were really pushing temps like with Cinebench or Prime95 + AVX instruction set, would you push the temps out to the Tj Max.   In flight sim I can't get mine anywhere near that.  But pushing ghz doesn't seem to matter much to this cpu in terms of MSFS performance.

Although as I said to Howard I really should re-monitor my temps now that the summer heat is here.  I run a 200 TLOD / 4k Ultra but the most cpu-heavy airplanes I have are the iniBuilds A310 and PMDG 737-700, and those aren't exactly considered big cpu-users like the Fenix supposedly is (I don't own it).

• Like 1

Rhett

10 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

1) I see it is being sold as having a 5Ghz clock speed, but then read that some users are running at 4.5Ghz. So am I right in thinking that if I get the temps down lower, then the CPU will run faster on it's own accord?

2) My thinking is that I install Liquid AIO cooler as opposed to a good quality air cooler.

1) its all here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/ryzen-7-7800x3d.c3022

2) unnecessary overkill, I use the simple, only single fan Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler with the 7800X3D, temperatures normally 65-75, sometimes 82 degrees Celsius max.

for Intel 13900k overclocked to 6 GHz : Liquid AIO cooler? yes.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.