Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

AVSIM Is Very Supressive When People Complain About FSX

I think I know what it is with me:I keep coming to avsim wanting to see more people bash FSX. This is because I feel that my disappointment in the latest FSX is not being accepted. I want to see more complaints about it so that I feel I'm justified, I want to know that there are other people in my stituation.I do believe everyone should be civil about it. And my real problem isn't with FSX either. It's that I feel the future upgrade path of FS is cut off because I do not want to move to Vista. I don't like Vista for many reasons. I used to play FS every night. I haven't fired it up in months now.Either FS. Everytime I feel like flying I visit forums or whatever to get inspiration I'm refilled with negativism. And I don't want to feel that way, so the only solution is to quit the hobby. I'm hoping for Windows XP 2.0,FS11 and DX11. I hoping those three will be minor improvements that work well and I can just forget about this.That's not meant to be inflammatory or anything. It's just me saying what I think is true. I've pretty much quit FS now.Tim.

Guest LSflyguy

Thanks a lot Geof.... but no. If I see you in Seattle, I'll be the one who's buying you a drink. I have a lot of respect for the forum mods who keep everything on a relatively even keel around here. I do appreciate the offer, though. - Lee P.S. I just checked out your blog, and loved the photo spreads of the Great Northwest, and especially Lake Chelan. Makes me miss the time I spent living in Seattle even more.

Guest S77th-GOYA

This forum seems to be like the majority of flight sim forums. Even though one might be legitimately angry about the product, anger is not tolerated in posts.And a reminder: a post saying, "Gee, this sim is wonderful and I think everyone should buy it" is just as constructive as a post saying, "####, this sim sucks and anyone would be a fool to buy it".Negative posts must be accompanied by reasons and positive posts don't.But it is human nature for pretty people to get an easier way through life than ugly people.

A famous philosopher (I don't remember which)said "if you need to raise your voice while making a point you probably don't have much of a point."I bet he wasn't pretty too.By the way-if you look at the criteria above "legitimately angry" is not one of the taboos.Besides-don't you think anger about a product should be taken out with the manufacturer directly-perhaps not with members of this forum?http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest S77th-GOYA

I hear no voices coming from forums, raised or otherwise. Only text.If legitimate anger isn't taboo, that infers that unexplained anger isn't given the benefit of the doubt. Again, negative posts must include an explanation. Granted, there ARE folks that push their settings up too high or simply don't have strong enough systems that make complaints.I have never felt that an angry post about a flight sim was being taken out on me.

>Nice! How long has it taken you? You're living my dream.Way.........to long. Most others take 2 1/2 to 3 years.

Wow, that's a bit of time. The closest I've come is watching the show A plane is born, not sure how long it took him but it was amazing to watch it all come together.

Thanks Geofa!Maybe we could have a "CryBaby" forum where everyone could just say what they feel angry, M$ and all? As long as everyone refrains from personal attacks and profanity.What of it?

Guest Kasper Hanselman

>I think part of the problem is that a year later and we're>still hearing the same complaining...>>Listen, GAMING (and that's what we're doing folks) on a PC is>NEVER going to be the same as on a console. Everyone has>different hardware, different software installed on their>machines, different driver versions, AND DIFFERENT>EXPECTATIONS!>>Personally, I haven't seen any problems with FSX on my>machine, but I also have a very modern machine. It's only>gotten better with SP1. At the same time, I didn't really play>2000-2004 at all, so I walked in with lower expectations than>others...>>Honestly, I am getting royally sick and tired of people>complaining about not getting the same performance out of FSX>as they did with FS9, when they're running on 5+yr old>hardware that wouldn't even qualify as a BUDGET machine these>days. Of COURSE it's not going to perform as well!>>If you're not happy with FSX, fine, go back to FS9. BUT, there>are MANY of us who enjoy and love FSX and have no issues with>using it. There are more than enough rants out there about>personal issues with the software. >>Why is it that many of us can run it fine and others cant?>Probably has a LOT to do with hardware differences, setting>differences and expectation differences.>>Complaining doesn't solve the problem and it only comes across>as whining at this point. 11 months ago - fine... Now - get>over it, buy new hardware and quit your bellyaching... Geesh!I specifically respond to this post because I feel offended, but no moderator has deemed it proper to respond. So here I go. I am an software testing professional. I make a very good living out of it. I have access to all the hardware I could possibly want. I STILL have issues with both Vista AND FSX. Please don't insult me by stating that everyone with problems does not know what he is talking about or does not have access to the proper hardware. I am pretty sure I am at least as knowledgeable as you are.

The joy of FSX success prompts those lucky ones to want to proselytize it so all can share their joy. They are welcomed as positive messengers that bring joy and light to the the lives of others. Those who are not feeling the joy of the successful read these laudatory postings and feel even more disenfranchised. Further frustration rises when a "lucky one" implies that the "unlucky" one is being negative. What they may mean is that the negative post somehow taints the joy of the successful.As pointed out in earlier postings each camp is seeking further substantiation of their results. Each is not inclined to change their position despite posts from the other camp. The possible result is escalation.The positive is always permitted to downplay the negative for the moderators also like a nice placid environment. The negatives feel overwhelmed by all of the taunting "it works for me" posts and know that any comment on this style of post may bring further wrath upon them. There is no simple answer to this interaction or its degree of permissiveness. The AVSIM answer is an attempt to not encourage dissent, but neither to suppress it. I believe that there is not a total balance in this position since the moderators, by human nature, seek a peaceful environment. They are not warriors. The final solution rests with the users of AVSIM and their selection of venues that adequately support their style of commentary. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest rap777

Hey Dick!Seems YOU still did not quit get the point! It IS NOT NEGATIVITY that is the problem BUT rudeness!May I suggest that you re-read the orig. post and you will clearly see that there was not a plea for help nor a request to be heard to vent some NEGATIVITY but a blanked statement that all who are going to get ACCELERATE add on pack are not right in their heads.Since I am going to be one of them I felt I should let it be known that I do not appreciate when my sanity is called into question.....You seem to be OK with that however??????One of the reasons why I REALLY ENJOY avsim is BECAUSE of the level-headed approach by the Moderators to differentiate between rude & negative.Just take a step back and see it for what it is!!!Kind regards and God blessAlfred