Sign in to follow this  
Pete F

P3D Add-ons for A330 pilot?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything specific using search.

I'm a real world A330 pilot and have the Aerosoft A330 Pro Add-on for the P3D v5. The fidelity is quite good from what I've seen, albeit with different engines and some options vs the aircraft I fly.

The purpose of the P3D sim is as a tool to help with my own simulator preparations, and also flying to unfamiliar airports. Complex scenery etc isn't normally of great interest to me, as our work simulators aren't especially impressive, indeed more often than not we're flying at night. However I am interested in accurate and reasonably current navigation databases, accurate airports would certainly be beneficial. Essentially as close to what I can be expected to see when I look out the real window into the different destinations. I generally fly in the Asia-Pacific region.

I'd be grateful for advice regarding any further add-ons that could be suggested (if any?). I'm trying to keep the learning curve for this tool to a minimum, so I guess the ideal scenario would be no add-ons at all. However there's likely some that will bring the experience closer to what I see in full-motion simulators, while not requiring anything that's more of a gimmick for this purpose.

Equally beneficial would be sources of "Dummy guides" or similar to new P3D users to help find my way around its operation. I use this with a Thrustmaster sidestick.

• Like 1

If scenery is not a concern then these are pretty much the standard add-ins most tubeliner pilots use:

Edited by level7
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awesome, thanks for that. It's just the view out the office window I'm interested in. Ditto for weather I'm afraid as it's really more of a procedures trainer I use this for.

The Orbx add-ons could be something to try; the Global Base as you suggest. I'm interested in whether the country and ultimately the individual airports are considered worthwhile? Ironically the airports I go to all the time probably aren't of much use, as I know them quite well from real life, but if the airports are accurately modelled that could be very worthwhile for destinations I don't go to often. Taxiing around a large and unfamiliar airport at night is one of the more challenging things we do.

Hi Pete,

First welcome to the P3D Forum.Great to see you here.

In terms of your question on current navigation databases, the way we keep airports and more importantly the STARs and SIDs up-to-date , is to have 2 things available:

A) Your aircraft should have a FMS/FMC that can be updated with up-to-date navigational data based on latest AIRAC cycles. I believe the Aerosoft A330 does have this capability although I dont have that specific aircraft, I had been using the A320 model they also distribute with a useful FMS.

B). I would recommend a paid subscription service such as Navigraph or Navdata Pro. This service allows you to download and install the 4 weekly AIRAC cycles into the FMS. In this way you will always have up to data FMS data.You can pick your subscription of choice based on how much sim flying you intend to do.

For me, Navigraph is great because I also have a free utility from them called Simlink which can automatically scan your installed aircraft in P3D and download/install these FMS updates automatically to your aircraft via a couple of mouse clicks.

Hope that is useful to you.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Hi Pete 

Welcome to the community! 👋😁

As mentioned above, you can get a current navigation database for all major addons (including the AS A330). Navdata Pro and Navigraph are the big ones, so it's worth checking out the packages they provide. Off the top of my head, Navigraph has a yearly subscription for around 70USD which includes monthly navdata updates *and* an application for charts with global coverage. They also provide single, current data cycles for a few dollars, if you aren't interested in charts or being constantly up to date.

As for the view out the window, I assume you're looking for airport scenery? If so, I'd recommend WFSS, who make airports in China, including, off the top of my head, VHHH, ZBAA, ZGSZ, ZSSS, and ZSPD. There is also RKSI, RCTP and RPLL by PacSim (not sure if the latter 2 are V5 compatible out of the box), Drzwiecki Design RJAA, and WSSS by ImagineSim, which is soon to receive a big update (new runway with the ridiculous taxi length lol). Most, if not all, of these are available on Simmarket. Have a good browse on there and see what you can find.

Good luck and happy/productive simming.

• Like 2

Rashid Yacine

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

Awesome, thanks for that. It's just the view out the office window I'm interested in. Ditto for weather I'm afraid as it's really more of a procedures trainer I use this for.

The Orbx add-ons could be something to try; the Global Base as you suggest. I'm interested in whether the country and ultimately the individual airports are considered worthwhile? Ironically the airports I go to all the time probably aren't of much use, as I know them quite well from real life, but if the airports are accurately modelled that could be very worthwhile for destinations I don't go to often. Taxiing around a large and unfamiliar airport at night is one of the more challenging things we do.

The default airports in P3D are pretty terrible so it is a nice addition to have airport add-ins for the proper airport layouts, gates and improved textures. The thing is airports can be pretty addictive and then it's hard to stop at just one.

For navigation data, I would presume that you have your company EFB you can look up charts so you could sign up for Navigraph for a month to get the FMS data. They do have FMS data for the Aerosoft A330. https://navigraph.com/downloads

• Like 2

navigraph for jepesen ....... aerosoft for lido

for now, cheers

john martin

Thanks to all who have replied, some excellent suggestions that seem to have nailed my needs well.

Yes I can certainly see the value now in the airport upgrades now I've seen them. Taxiing to a specific gate and having a reasonably accurate representation of would I'd actually see be a good feature. It doesn't have to be perfect, and ground handling movements etc that would make it more realistic generally would probably fall more into the gimmick bucket for my work purposes.

In regard to specific comments:

• Yes I use my own Jepp charts from my iPad, so charts aren't of any interest. I think updating the database as needed would suffice. Keep in mind that I've had P3D (and the new computer specifically to drive it) since 2021 and I would have used it less than 6 times since then. I just have some changing to my flying/training coming up, so I think I'll make greater use of this tool. 
  • I had to chuckle at the WSSS comments and the long taxi. Yes new runway is adding a lot of time to the taxiing, and brake temperatures can be a real issue if the aircraft has arrived with hot brakes and ground fans aren't available. Delaying takeoff for brake cooling isn't a great solution when the OAT is 30+ degrees! Luckily we're mainly using the other direction now, so it's not as bad.
  • The Simmarket site seems very comprehensive, and I had no idea just how many add-ons are available for different platforms.

One question that's come up is in regard the Orbx global Base Pack is they do a bundle containing Base, Vector, Buildings, and TerraFlora. The latter isn't of much interest, but I wonder if the others were considered worthwhile? Especially Vector, which I don't understand exactly what that means in any case. Within all of this I do need to keep frame rates reasonable, and keep the whole purpose of why I'm doing this foremost in mind. Clearly the cost is also somewhat of a consideration, otherwise each time I turn it on will cost around $500 if I consider use v total costs.

As a complete aside. In trying to work out how this all works, last night I watched some videos of flights, and the use of VATSIM. I was absolutely blown away by the realism of VATSIM in airspace I know extremely well. There's some unusual and unexpected taxi clearances that were accurately cleared as per real life. Similarly the airspace clearances were precisely as I would expect them in real life. Very impressive to see that detail in resources and a great learning aid to those progressing through the industry in real life. As an outsider looking on I have to say well done to all those involved in the area. 

2 hours ago, Pete F said:

One question that's come up is in regard the Orbx global Base Pack is they do a bundle containing Base, Vector, Buildings, and TerraFlora. The latter isn't of much interest, but I wonder if the others were considered worthwhile? Especially Vector, which I don't understand exactly what that means in any case. Within all of this I do need to keep frame rates reasonable, and keep the whole purpose of why I'm doing this foremost in mind. Clearly the cost is also somewhat of a consideration, otherwise each time I turn it on will cost around $500 if I consider use v total costs.

Vector is not worth installing for P3D V5 and tends to introduce more problems.

Buildings and TerraFlora are nice additions they do make the default autogen noticeably better. But maybe fly with default without orbx and see if you can manage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete F said:

It doesn't have to be perfect

indeed ,,,, it is often not, sometimes not current / incorrect taxi signs. etc. for example, the latest payware for WSSS has some about T4 & at VHHH parking gate errors at T1(East) & the satellite.

you may need some skills sooner or later in editing an airports's afcad (using freeware) or visit AIG for corrected ones.

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

16 hours ago, 787flyer said:

Hi Pete,

For me, Navigraph is great because I also have a free utility from them called Simlink which can automatically scan your installed aircraft in P3D and download/install these FMS updates automatically to your aircraft via a couple of mouse clicks.

Hope that is useful to you.

Regards

Hi,

I misspoke above in that if you need FMS data updates, the freeware utility I use from Navigraph is their FMS Data Manager available from their Downloads page. This is the tool that enables quick updates of your aircraft's FMS data once you have a subscription service to the actual data. Simlink  allows you to track the aircraft when in flight and on the ground. Basically synchs with your sim to provide a moving map of where you are in the world. I think the FMS data would be what you need to remain up to date,  since as you said, you have your own charts.

Also, for managing your frame rates on your PC, it all depends upon the capabilities and power of your PC. There's quite a bit of stuff out on the web about the P3D configuration and impact on performance. You can start here: https://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/my-p3d-settings/ . The settings outlined in yellow in the screenshots are known to impact the general running and performance of P3D. You will need to possibly tweak these settings depending upon your individual PC hardware and performance and what add-ons you have installed.

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

1 hour ago, vadriver said:

you may need some skills sooner or later in editing an airports's afcad (using freeware) or visit AIG for corrected ones.

Ha ha, poor Google is getting a thrashing at my end trying to figure out what some of you guys are even talking about 😉 A steep learning curve, but looks like I'm getting on top of it.

Yes minor technical differences are just accepted, the full-motion sims at work are far from exact in that regard also. It's probably best not to be too reliant on uncertified simulators, but I do think they provide a very good guide as to what to expect. It must be fantastic for those now going through type training. Personally I still have my A330 panel charts stuck on my wall. My previous B747 training consisted of photographic slides synchronised by an audio cassette tape. Both procedural trainers were literally cardboard cutouts of the panels in a room with an instructor sitting behinds us. Making the appropriate noises was always considered optional 🙂 The world has come a long way ... and I haven't even asked about VR yet!

The P3D settings are excellent, thank you. It looks like many of them are for the more optional areas that I'm happy enough to forego if required.

@Pete F

frankly, i suggest you find a "procedural trainer" for your refresh .... there's too much in-consist in using PC's

that said, P3D is the core of many providers to the likes of FSD

& to add, i never had the distraction of computers when I flew ..... old & bold some say.

for now, cheers

john martin

@Pete F, one utility I find indispensable is Aivlasoft’s Electronic Flight Bag

It has a 30 day trial period with no restrictions. It reads all your scenery files and creates very detailed maps of airports including parking positions, taxiways and runways.

To ensure up to date data it does require a subscription to Navigraph Charts. The FMS Data only option is no longer available to new customers, only to long standing ones. 

Ideally the client display is best on a separate monitor. That can be either on the same PC as P3D or on a networked one. A server program runs on the P3D computer with little resources required.

For finding your way around an unfamiliar airport it’s ideal. But with a Navigraph subscription the SIDs and STARs are kept current plus runway designations.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather