Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

AxisAndOhs for X-Plane?

Hello @ll,

over the years I have returned to X-Plane from time to time to look into the options that are provided in the SDK to make Lorby apps work with this sim. And this time I have decided to run with it, and I made an X-Plane 12 compatible prototype of AxisAndOhs.

I am now looking for people who would be interested in trying out the prototype and offer insight into the ins and outs of this sim from a user's perspective. 
The goal is mostly to judge the relevance of an app like this, to see if it is even worth it pursuing this venue.

The X-Plane variant of AAO still uses the same mechanisms, meaning RPN scripting, the WebAPI, the Desktop and Web Gauges etc. But the simulator variables and events from the MS world have been replaced by DataRefs and Commands. So everything works exactly the same as for the other sims, just with different assets. I've also expanded the AAO StreamDeck plugin so it supports DataRefs and Commands too.

• Like 8

LORBY-SI

Bislang verwende ich AAO mit Streamdeck für die Steuerung des FBW A320NX bei MSFS. Ich habe es immer sehr bedauert, dass ich es nicht für XP verwenden konnte und würde es daher sehr begrüßen, wenn es auch mit XP12 und insbesondere den ToLiss Airbuses und der 737 ZiboMod funktionieren würde. Kann man es schon irgendwo für XP herunterladen?

1 hour ago, renbrener said:

Bislang verwende ich AAO mit Streamdeck für die Steuerung des FBW A320NX bei MSFS. Ich habe es immer sehr bedauert, dass ich es nicht für XP verwenden konnte und würde es daher sehr begrüßen, wenn es auch mit XP12 und insbesondere den ToLiss Airbuses und der 737 ZiboMod funktionieren würde. Kann man es schon irgendwo für XP herunterladen?

There is a prototype where everything is working except for the Saitek Panel logic. If you want to try it, please send an email with your proof of purchase to the support address (last page of the AAO manual).

But - it looks like there is no real interest in the XP community for this app. Except for your post and exactly one handful of likes there has been no response. At the moment we don't even have a single XP tester.
It is (again) a question of feasibility - is it really worth it to complete the prototype or just let it rest in peace. I haven't decided yet.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Have you tried to post in the x-plane forum under https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/ maybe there are more people to be happy to apply for a beta test.

I'm also interested in a x-plane version. Because i love the way how AaO works and would love to be able to use it in X-Plane. Sadly its currently the Summer time and a lot of holidays and way to warm to sit in front of the PC for to long. So i'm currently happy with MSFS and everything i programmed there in AaO. 

Maybe in the colder times i will find some Weekends to learn X-plane and set it up, then i would definitly in to give it a try with AaO and the 737 Zibo Mod and compare it to the PMDG737 in MSFS. 

Maybe its just a bad timing currently.

PS: in the latest AaO Version i discovered x-plane in some of the Menus, so i guess there is already something implemented ? ^^

1 hour ago, Bam2000 said:

Have you tried to post in the x-plane forum

No, because evaluating the prototype IMHO is something that IMHO is best done by people who already own AAO and know their way around.

1 hour ago, Bam2000 said:

PS: in the latest AaO Version i discovered x-plane in some of the Menus, so i guess there is already something implemented ? ^^

Prepar3D V6 came at a bad time, right in the middle or merging the XP prototype. Where did you see this?

LORBY-SI

72qdj7zs.png

Does the Streamdeck Plugin work like in MSFS? And do you know if you could use the same icons from streamdeck for X-PLane and just edit the commands ?

Edited by Bam2000
Edit

11 minutes ago, Bam2000 said:

Does the Streamdeck Plugin work like in MSFS? And do you know if you could use the same icons from streamdeck for X-PLane and just edit the commands ?

Yes and yes.

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

I have been using X-Plane exclusively since version 10 and have only recently been dipping my toe in MSFS.  I sought out AAO because MSFS needs so much help with managing controllers.  Profiles can be created for individual aircraft or groups (helicopters, single engine GAs, etc.)  What X-Plane lacks in this area is easily enriched with FLYWITHLUA scripts making it quite robust with respect to handling peripherals.  This is just my opinion of course but I don't see the need for AAO in the X-Plane environment.  AAO does a great job of bringing all that functionality to MSFS.

Aficionado of MSFS, X-Plane12, Aces High, Wings Over Flanders Fields

i7-9700k@5.0GHz, Nvidia RTX 4070ti(12GB), Z390 AORUS MB, 64GB DDR4, 2TB SSD(560MB/s), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR5

24 minutes ago, snomhf said:

I don't see the need for AAO in the X-Plane environment.

AAO can do a lot more than just controllers, like voice control, the web API (mostly used by the AAO StreamDeck plugin), desktop and web gauges, web pages, checklists, conversations, scripting.

But you are correct, there has been almost zero interest from the XP crowd, so the project has been shelved for the time being. 

To be honest, that was to be expected. Establishing a new product is always a problem IMHO. People who have been using the sim a while have their firm views about how things have to be done, and they are always recommending the same to the newbies too. Not much chance of wedging in a new perspective. 
I just started the XP project because initially it looked like it could be done with limited effort, using the DataRef API. After finishing the prototype, I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Well, you have a great product and it serves the MSFS platform very well.  I was ready to give up on MSFS until I discovered AAO.  You don't need the XP crowd anyway!  🙂    Thank you so much!

Aficionado of MSFS, X-Plane12, Aces High, Wings Over Flanders Fields

i7-9700k@5.0GHz, Nvidia RTX 4070ti(12GB), Z390 AORUS MB, 64GB DDR4, 2TB SSD(560MB/s), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR5

On 8/13/2023 at 10:38 PM, snomhf said:

You don't need the XP crowd anyway!

Why not. MSFS is for gamers and X-Plane is for flightsimmers.
I'm waiting on AAO program for Xplane. So that I can use switches with On/Off only. This is possible in the MSFS version but with X-Plane this is a problem. An X-plane test version of AAO with the same functionality as in Prepar3D and MSFS is welcome.
Regards
Jovabra

On 9/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, Jovabra said:

MSFS is for gamers and X-Plane is for flightsimmers.

Ah it's sweet that you believe that 🤣

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

To provide further clarity: Gamers typically use USB joysticks, while flight simulator enthusiasts opt for CAN-bus devices. It's worth noting that AAO boasts a CAN-bus interface, enhancing the realism of the experience!

I would like to try the prototype.  I love to play both simulators, MSFS2020 & X-Plane.  I don't have a mock cockpit in my basement but I enjoy flying with a Thrustmaster Kit and a StreamDeck XL.  I fly when I can around work schedule.