Sign in to follow this  
sfgiants13

VSYNC and Stuttering

I have the sim running pretty good but for some reason I just can't get that stutter free experience.  The only way to get it really smooth is to use VSYNC in my NCP and limit the frames to my monitor refresh rate.  The problem is I get stutters when it briefly drops a couple of FPS below the rate which is expected.  The weird thing is if I run it in the same scenario with no limit I'm looking at something ridiculous like 150 FPS so I shouldn't be having that dip.  The PMDG doesn't do it as often as the FBW 320 does but neither should be having performance issues when I'm getting well over double the FPS when it's not locked.  Changing the settings like TLOD doesn't seem to help.  

Any ideas on what I should do?  I've tried every combination of vsync and FPS limiting in the NCP and in game.  Is this something a GSYNC monitor would help prevent?  It's been on my list but for now I use a 60hz tv.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I can run 150 fps unlimited too but much lower FPS around busy airports and addon sceneries.  I am happy running limited to 30 FPS for that very reason even though a lot of the time I can get much more.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

9 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Is this something a GSYNC monitor would help prevent?  It's been on my list but for now I use a 60hz tv.

For me it did. Since I got it I use frames uncapped and no stutters.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

24 minutes ago, cianpars said:

I can run 150 fps unlimited too but much lower FPS around busy airports and addon sceneries.  I am happy running limited to 30 FPS for that very reason even though a lot of the time I can get much more.

I have this issue no matter what I run it at. I can set my monitor to 30,50,60 hz and I always get that 2-3fps drop when it should easily hold any of those settings. Of course I’m not talking about the heavy airports but I have this problem at airports I shouldn’t be having any issues with. 

25 minutes ago, Alvega said:

For me it did. Since I got it I use frames uncapped and no stutters.

I figured. Any suggestions for a monitor? Gsync isn’t the cheapest. I run a 40” right now and doubt I want to shell out the money it would take to get a similar size gsync. 

What has worked for me in both P3d and MSFS is to forget about the Nvidia CP. Set in MSFS, Vsync on, then 50% refresh rate and set your monitor at 60hz. I would be extremely surprised if this didn't work for you.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

What has worked for me in both P3d and MSFS is to forget about the Nvidia CP. Set in MSFS, Vsync on, then 50% refresh rate and set your monitor at 60hz. I would be extremely surprised if this didn't work for you.

Anything in sim causes stutters for me. The only thing that works is vsync to my refresh rate. I just need to get it to stop dropping below the rate when it shouldn’t be. Sounds like a gsync monitor is my best bet. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

Anything in sim causes stutters for me. The only thing that works is vsync to my refresh rate. I just need to get it to stop dropping below the rate when it shouldn’t be. Sounds like a gsync monitor is my best bet. 

EDIT

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

My personal experience even if it's a little off topic.

I have the 5800X3D and the RTX4090 in TV4K 144hz . It's always been smooth as silk.

- Nvidia Frame Generation = "ON"

- Anti Aliasing = "TA"

- V-Sync = "OFF"

- Nvidia Control Panel = G-Sync "ON" 

- Global Nvidia Control Panel =The Nvidia default settings that are offered without forgetting the adjustment of G-Sync "ON"

- MSFS 2020 Nvidia Control Panel = The Nvidia default settings that are offered without forgetting the adjustment of G-Sync "ON"

- TV Setting = VRR "ON"

-Windows Hardware / Graphic Parameter

-Acceleration = "ON"

-Variable refresh rate = "ON"

I have never felt such a comfortable experience.

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

On 6/20/2023 at 3:39 PM, sfgiants13 said:

I have the sim running pretty good but for some reason I just can't get that stutter free experience.  The only way to get it really smooth is to use VSYNC in my NCP and limit the frames to my monitor refresh rate.  The problem is I get stutters when it briefly drops a couple of FPS below the rate which is expected.  The weird thing is if I run it in the same scenario with no limit I'm looking at something ridiculous like 150 FPS so I shouldn't be having that dip.  The PMDG doesn't do it as often as the FBW 320 does but neither should be having performance issues when I'm getting well over double the FPS when it's not locked.  Changing the settings like TLOD doesn't seem to help.  

Any ideas on what I should do?  I've tried every combination of vsync and FPS limiting in the NCP and in game.  Is this something a GSYNC monitor would help prevent?  It's been on my list but for now I use a 60hz tv.

I did a ton of testing when I upgraded to a 4090 and found the best combination is using VSYNC = On in NVCP (Do not use any type of frame limiters or in sim VSYNC) The one thing you did not mention is if you are using Frame Generation. If you are with VSYNC on in NVCP it will automatically limit your frames to just below your refresh rate hence why no external fps limiting is necessary. I do have a 55 inch Sony X90K 4K TV which is GSYNC compatible and using the method I described I get butter smooth results and zero stuttering. I run the TV at 120Hz and my fps are automatically capped at 116, of course with GSYNC if they drop it is not an issue as long as they stay within the GSYNC range of your display. With a 4090 you should not have an issue.

There have been a few posts here about running a 4090/FG with 60Hz displays, maybe have a look.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png