Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Has a VPN made a meaningful difference in...

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

However not you've introduced a new potential issue in that you'll rely on not only how busy the MSFS servers are, but also how busy the VPN server you're on is.  Also your CPU will be busier because it has to decrypt and extra layer of encryption.

Sounds like this really isn't a good solution for those random times when I get degradation in MSFS performance despite bigtime CPU/GPU headroom.  I think I'll cancel sooner than later so's I don't forget as I don't think they prorate the refund.

Thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

For what reason would anyone want to hide his real IP address to use MSFS2020?. This could lead to issues regarding license terms, etc. As far as I know Steam has set several conditions for users when they employ a VPN, so, be careful.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

15 minutes ago, edpatino said:

For what reason would anyone want to hide his real IP address to use MSFS2020?

It's not about hiding the IP address for any nefarious reason. It's about getting around the dubious practice, which many ISPs are suspected of, where they provide full rated speed for their customers when speed tests are being carried out, but deliberately throttle all other downloads to well below the speed being paid for.  This has nothing to do with normal speed variation with high internet loads. It is about ISPs deliberately saving bandwidth to increase profits.

Edited by Biggles2010

John B

14 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

It is about ISPs deliberately saving bandwidth to increase profits.

Until your ISP discovers you... Anyway, good point.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

In general, a VPN enhances security but degrades performance (internet speed). 

But it's easy to check if the ISP is somehow throttling. Instead of using the popular speed test sites, use the unpopular speed test sites. ISP throttling could  mean a VPN will actually speed up the connection, obviously. 

--------------

I use wifi to connect PC to router, not a cable, so orienting the antenna ears on both the router and on the PC's wifi dongle makes an enormous difference in speeds. Like about double the speed. The PC dongle is not plugged into the PC. The dongle plugs into a wire and the wire plugs into the PC. Such wires are cheap, and can be found on Amazon. 

And then the dongle at the other end of the wire is mounted permanently to the wall, so its antenna ears will not move. I move the ears on the router to match until the speeds are maximized. Verified true in my case that changing the router ears position can double the speed, depending how they are pointed. 

None of this is important if connected to the router by wire. But my PC is far away from the router. On another floor above and at the other end of the house.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Biggles2010 said:

but deliberately throttle all other downloads to well below the speed being paid for

Maybe that's something done elsewhere, but it's not something I've seen.  Someone who exceeds their data limit may be restricted, but it would be that account to all destinations, not specific ones. 

Since Noel was asking about Xfinity I will tell you they have a policy known as settlement free peering, which includes Azure.  This means neither party is charged for any data that goes between the two networks. So again there's no benefit or reason for them to throttle anything.

• Like 1

Brian W

KPAE

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Maybe that's something done elsewhere, but it's not something I've seen.  Someone who exceeds their data limit may be restricted, but it would be that account to all destinations, not specific ones. 

Since Noel was asking about Xfinity I will tell you they have a policy known as settlement free peering, which includes Azure.  This means neither party is charged for any data that goes between the two networks. So again there's no benefit or reason for them to throttle anything.

Well that pretty much closes it for me I will cancel and call it a premature foray into an unnecessary expense!  This issue, the primary reason to try this, is probably multifactoral w/ high data usage times of day, high access to MSFS servers, etc.

Cheers

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I tried the VPN route with my 4G phone with mixed results.  Now that everything is 5G UC all is great (no VPN) with no issues in the past year.  BTW I believe that UC stands for universal coverage,

Also I pay $100 a month for fulltime unlimited data so no more throttling.  Since I travel fulltime phone wireless is my only option.

Cheers

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

3 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

I tried the VPN route with my 4G phone with mixed results.  Now that everything is 5G UC all is great (no VPN) with no issues in the past year.  BTW I believe that UC stands for universal coverage,

Also I pay $100 a month for fulltime unlimited data so no more throttling.  Since I travel fulltime phone wireless is my only option.

Cheers

sp

Unlimited data does not mean no throttling .... sorry I have to say this.

Throttling is common. Your provider, VPN, Google Server, Microsoft Azure Server eg. all are or better can do throttling. 

All depends on the general demand and normally not on your personal usage.

Additional, with VPN you have to expect a downgrade of about 20 to 30 % because of the de- and encryption process and to expect more "work" for your CPU. The encyption is the main reason to use VPN, not to speed up your internet .... An advantage of VPN regarding speed can be the ability to choose a server in a different time zone with less demand/access/traffic as long as you can live with higher latency. 

In MSFS you could try a different Azure server if I'm correct. 

Best regards

Detlef

2 hours ago, stratone said:

Unlimited data does not mean no throttling .... sorry I have to say this.

Throttling is common. Your provider, VPN, Google Server, Microsoft Azure Server eg. all are or better can do throttling. 

All depends on the general demand and normally not on your personal usage.

Additional, with VPN you have to expect a downgrade of about 20 to 30 % because of the de- and encryption process and to expect more "work" for your CPU. The encyption is the main reason to use VPN, not to speed up your internet .... An advantage of VPN regarding speed can be the ability to choose a server in a different time zone with less demand/access/traffic as long as you can live with higher latency. 

In MSFS you could try a different Azure server if I'm correct. 

Best regards

Detlef

No throttling!  I used to be but now I pay $30 more a month so I'm not.  It is in the contract.

sp