Sign in to follow this  
AeroMaster12

Question/Feature Request on Setting Destination Airport

Hi Kiek,

I have more-or-less a feature request when it comes to setting a destination airport. The current design is to read the airport file when in vicinity of an airport upon approach. I'm wondering if there's a way to pre-determine the airport based on what's active in the user's Community folder from start up. Since PSXTraffic does a scan on third party airports, is there a way to filter/determine which airports are active at startup, and thus, able to parse through a file when changing a setting at that time rather than when close to the airport?

Consider the following scenario (and me as a VR flyer):

I'm at airport A wanting to fly to airport B. I expect to arrive at destination gate "B6" as it's called colloquially IRL (and on Navigraph too), but in the airport file, it's known as "g6". And yes, I was lazy to double check how the AFCAD was configured. Since PSXTraffic mentions it'll check the gate when the file is read, it won't tell me if it's valid at that time until later. But since I'm in VR headspace, I won't notice it until I land, and that my gate would actually be occupied. Take the headset off, and in the logs, yep "Destination gate 'B6' is not valid!". 

It would be nice to do a validity check and throw an error if there was an invalid gate error right away, rather than at the time that it is read in the future - that way I could either try to "brute force retry" in the beginning until I get a valid gate, or then ultimately open up the XML file to determine how the gate file is determined.

Thanks for your consideration!
Aero

9 hours ago, AeroMaster12 said:

It would be nice to do a validity check and throw an error if there was an invalid gate error right away, rather than at the time that it is read in the future - that way I could either try to "brute force retry" in the beginning until I get a valid gate, or then ultimately open up the XML file to determine how the gate file is determined.

Good idea, is in PSXTraffic easier to implement than in PSXT.

Now available in PSXTraffic 1.7.0. It gives  information about whether your aircraft fits the gate too!.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kiek said:

Now available in PSXTraffic 1.7.0. It gives  information about whether your aircraft fits the gate too!.

Oh… you are lucky… i use PSXT😢

8 hours ago, kiek said:

Wow, that was fast! Thank you, Nico!

2 hours ago, abranpuko said:

Oh… you are lucky… i use PSXT😢

What's holding you back? PSXT to PSXTraffic is a pretty smooth transition - just gotta make the jump to it! 

15 minutes ago, AeroMaster12 said:

Wow, that was fast! Thank you, Nico!

What's holding you back? PSXT to PSXTraffic is a pretty smooth transition - just gotta make the jump to it! 

Oh AeroMaster....I use PSXT because i like to arrive at the airport and finding exactly the used and unused spots by ai traffic. For example, there are many charter flights now on summer, and yesterday i found a plane that never comes to my island, parked on a gate. I got informed and it was true. That sensation is deliciuos!:) 

anyways thanks for the invitation!:)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, abranpuko said:

i found a plane that never comes to my island,

Would you tell us the name of that island?

2 hours ago, kiek said:

Would you tell us the name of that island?

of course. Tenerife:) Canay islands

11 hours ago, abranpuko said:

of course. Tenerife:) Canay islands

Aha, never been there. I always said, I'll go there on holidays when I am old and I'd like to escape the cold winters in The Netherlands, but since Climate Change that is no longer needed ...

BTW GCTS is very well supported in PSXTraffic, as well by SimWings as MK-Studios 😉 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kiek said:

Aha, never been there. I always said, I'll go there on holidays when I am old and I'd like to escape the cold winters in The Netherlands, but since Climate Change that is no longer needed ...

BTW GCTS is very well supported in PSXTraffic, as well by SimWings as MK-Studios 😉 

Oh, you are from Netherlands? I really love it and would like to go again. 
tenerife es very good all the year in relation with climate. 
yes, GCTS good coberture, but GCXO, GCLP very bad coberture. 

come here on holydays and we can put some new radars! 😎

6 hours ago, kiek said:

WOW since climate change it doesn't get cold any longer in the Netherlands - didn't know that! I'll have to take my next beach vacation there in February.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

33 minutes ago, somiller said:

WOW since climate change it doesn't get cold any longer in the Netherlands - didn't know that! I'll have to take my next beach vacation there in February.

Yes, we will probably never see another Elfsteden tocht  happening :-[

But no longer cold, does not mean warm. You better visitour 300 km sandy beaches in summer 😉

7 hours ago, kiek said:

Yes, we will probably never see another Elfsteden tocht  happening :-[

But no longer cold, does not mean warm. You better visitour 300 km sandy beaches in summer 😉

wow you have 300 km sandy beaches? sounds great! i wanna go!

Hi Nico,

I think there might be a regression in version 1.8 (beta 2.0). When setting the destination airport of a different airport than one that I'm currently at, the Gate textbox remains disabled, and I'm not able to set a value to it. Are you able to repro this on your end?

5 hours ago, AeroMaster12 said:

I think there might be a regression in version 1.8 (beta 2.0). When setting the destination airport of a different airport than one that I'm currently at, the Gate textbox remains disabled, and I'm not able to set a value to it. Are you able to repro this on your end?

No I'm not able to reproduce it here ... And 1.8.0 has not changed a bit wrt to this feature. 

The Destination gate is disabled at start-up and becomes enabled immediately after the airports scan, and remains enabled the rest of the program....

37 minutes ago, kiek said:

No I'm not able to reproduce it here ... And 1.8.0 has not changed a bit wrt to this feature. 

The Destination gate is disabled at start-up and becomes enabled immediately after the airports scan, and remains enabled the rest of the program....

For what it is worth I saw the same behaviour in 1.71 ( and possibly 1.70), not every flight, haven’t tried in 1.80 yet.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models