Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

GSX Gives a touchdown stutter

Hi Mejjo, Gsx will load in all the objects at the gate you selected. it will do this on or around landing , it has always done this , what traffic program are you using if any ?, try lowering the amount of AI , also in Gsx deselect the "extra Ground Clutter " inside FSDT Universal installer "Config" . If your using addon Airports like i do they will also come with their own "clutter". the sim has to load all this stuff in roughly at the same time . another thing you could ty is lowering your "objects level of detail" a bit just to give your system a little breathing room 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

29 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

Hi Mejjo, Gsx will load in all the objects at the gate you selected. it will do this on or around landing , it has always done this , what traffic program are you using if any ?, try lowering the amount of AI , also in Gsx deselect the "extra Ground Clutter " inside FSDT Universal installer "Config" . If your using addon Airports like i do they will also come with their own "clutter". the sim has to load all this stuff in roughly at the same time . another thing you could ty is lowering your "objects level of detail" a bit just to give your system a little breathing room 

Hi Sonny,

I will try what you have said with a combination of other things that have been suggested.

Did more testing today but couldn’t eliminate it, I think I’d rather a stutter on takeoff than touchdown.

I’ll try again tomorrow and report back. Thank you for the continued help, I really appreciate it. 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sonny147 said:

Yes, been getting a stutter on final often and most of this is due to my traffic settings. I have traffic on....online (either AIG or FSLTL) and have a general aviation traffic mod as well going.

When all this traffic is off, the stutter on final is fairly low.

GSX likely has little to do with it IMO.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

One thing that has caused problems with other sims is the loading of touchdown sounds, causing that characteristic stutter at touchdown.  It can also be exacerbated by having multiple sound devices active and potentially conflicting with one another.  Could be something like that...I'd check and see if GSX is using a sound device different than the sim, and if you have multiple sound devices active (most modern GPUs have an embedded sound device, for example). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

10 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

One thing that has caused problems with other sims is the loading of touchdown sounds, causing that characteristic stutter at touchdown.  It can also be exacerbated by having multiple sound devices active and potentially conflicting with one another.  Could be something like that...I'd check and see if GSX is using a sound device different than the sim, and if you have multiple sound devices active (most modern GPUs have an embedded sound device, for example). 

This is something i definitely need to check. Would there at all be any link with touchdown sounds and GSX? It makes no sense why i do not have it when i uninstall / unlink GSX. Unless of course there is something within GSX that is mixed with sounds in the background. Considering its only an issue on touchdown i imagined it would be pretty easy to pin point, However that is proving hard haha.

I have looked at my sound options and i have realtek digital output, Nvidia high definition audio for both monitors showing, and my corsair headset which is what i use for my sounds.

If you have one sound device assigned in the sim, and another in GSX or other addons that produce sound, it might be part of the problem.  I keep everything explicitly assigned to one specific device rather than allowing "use the default device" or similar, because I have had conflicts in the past caused by add-ons using a different sound device than what the sim was using. 

It's possible GSX (or FSDT's couatl utility) does something in the background like initialize its sound interface right when it detects the sim on the ground, or perhaps it's some combination of GSX and something else together causing the issue.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

It's possible GSX (or FSDT's couatl utility) does something in the background like initialize its sound interface right when it detects the sim on the ground, or perhaps it's some combination of GSX and something else together causing the issue.

GSX doesn't do anything on landing, except if you preselected a gate in flight, so it will generate the gate vehicles as soon as you touch down, because it it tried to generate objects before you landed, the ground altitude would be wrong, because if you are still far away from the airport, the terrain LOD would be sparse there, so we wait until you land before trying to create equipment on a selected gate.

In addition to that, if the GSX airport profile called for extra VGDSs, those will be created when you enter the airport visibility radius ( by default is 3.0 nm, but it can be overridden by user setting ), but this is completely unrelated to the airplane ground/not on ground status. In FSX/P3D we also had to create SODE jetways (assuming the airport used GSX/SODE jetways), but doesn't happen in MSFS, were jetways are created independently by the sim, and GSX has no part in it. Same for the "ground clutter" option: those objects are NOT created by GSX "on the fly", they are included in the jetway replacement files, what the option does is just installing a different set of .BGLs, with or without those option, but they are created by the sim without any control by GSX.

And, no GSX sounds are ever made just because the airplane landed. Audio card initialization happens only when the Couatl engine starts, and never again.

So, basically, unless you pre-select a gate in flight, nothing specific is happening in GSX "just" because the airplane touched down. 

Edited by virtuali

i always pre book the gate in flight , no time on the ground especially short taxi's, i did say this earlier about the landing , never bothered me i prefer all the ground staff ready for me when i get there , that's if there isn't already a Ryanair in my spot which is normally the case 😉

Edited by sonny147

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

22 hours ago, virtuali said:

GSX doesn't do anything on landing, except if you preselected a gate in flight, so it will generate the gate vehicles as soon as you touch down, because it it tried to generate objects before you landed, the ground altitude would be wrong, because if you are still far away from the airport, the terrain LOD would be sparse there, so we wait until you land before trying to create equipment on a selected gate.

It might be better to wait until the acft is on the ground and the ground speed decreases to somewhere in the taxi range (e.g. <60 knots) to start generating a bunch of new objects.

22 hours ago, virtuali said:

Same for the "ground clutter" option: those objects are NOT created by GSX "on the fly", they are included in the jetway replacement files, what the option does is just installing a different set of .BGLs, with or without those option, but they are created by the sim without any control by GSX.

And, no GSX sounds are ever made just because the airplane landed. Audio card initialization happens only when the Couatl engine starts, and never again.

So, basically, unless you pre-select a gate in flight, nothing specific is happening in GSX "just" because the airplane touched down. 

OK, but when is the sim loading your alternative bgl files?  If GSX replaces the original bgl files, and then those replacement bgl files are loaded by MSFS when it first detects the acft on ground, that would mean all that extra ground clutter stuff is being loaded right at touchdown, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 4:53 PM, virtuali said:

In addition to that, if the GSX airport profile called for extra VGDSs, those will be created when you enter the airport visibility radius ( by default is 3.0 nm, but it can be overridden by user setting ), but this is completely unrelated to the airplane ground/not on ground status. In FSX/P3D we also had to create SODE jetways (assuming the airport used GSX/SODE jetways), but doesn't happen in MSFS, were jetways are created independently by the sim, and GSX has no part in it. Same for the "ground clutter" option: those objects are NOT created by GSX "on the fly", they are included in the jetway replacement files, what the option does is just installing a different set of .BGLs, with or without those option, but they are created by the sim without any control by GSX.

I have spent just over a month testing various settings / aircraft / airports with this issue and i can with certainty say that it only happens with GSX active and installed in the sim.

Something has to be causing it somewhere in the background. It doesn't matter if i pre-select a gate.

I have tried pretty much any combination of things you can think of. From LOW preset to ULTRA preset. Payware aircraft, default aircraft, payware airport, default airport. There is nothing more i can test.

The only thing that relieves the stutter on touchdown is by unlinking GSX from the sim so there is no trace in the community folder.