Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

XP12 is growing on 737NG - now he's on the 346...

5 hours ago, blingthinger said:

Somebody please do elaborate: what aspects of fixed-wing aerodynamics will benefit from the simulation of a volume of thermally-buoyant air contained by a large-scale cloth simulation?

Id say all of them... it clearly worked for xplane:

in another 22 years or so developers taking such a first principles approach may even be able to simulate

Its not the secret to xplanes success, but its definately one of them.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

In today's video Emmanuel shows the A320Neo ( Leap1A ) Soundpack expansion for the Toliss A321:

MUST HAVE - BSS A320neo Soundpack! LEAP1A | First Flight and a little surprise | Real Airline Pilot - YouTube

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!!

45 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Why didn't you link the Swiss001 video where the destruction of the weather balloon is shown?

didnt know it didnt, or even that you wanted to see it, but yeah, you can destroy stuff in XPlane, well spotted.

weather balloons

landing gear

trucks with the "microsoft flight simulator" logo on the side.

other planes

All sorts of stuff

especially recommended in VR.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Just a pet peeve, to highlight something I mentioned when talking about performance.

You can see how low framerate those NPC cars are in the background compared to the rendering, quite a few times when they must be moving in single digit fps with 10 feet or more between one position and the next that gets rendered.

(Otherwise great video, wasn't criticising it, just highlighting how "hard" real perf is, and how games can "cheat")

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Believe me, your posts are never a waste of time 😉

The truly funny thing is you continuing to blather on and on (and on...) about the features of un-released software while ignoring very similar shortcomings in the released version of your preferred sim (both of which are MSFS, no?).

Oh, and while we're at it, you might want to go back and review Seb's briefing. He talks about Soft BODIES and Ropes, not "soft tissue" (which is something we discuss in terminal ballistics...but I digress).

Since I have no favorite simulator, I have no agenda to prove one is always bad and one is always better - which is a primary "cultist" tactic that you and lwt1971 constantly espouse (stones and glass houses, etc.).

I bring DCS into the discussion not to "defend X-Plane's honor" as you imply, but simply to demonstrate that there is indeed more than one simulator out there, and they each have their strong suits.

The fact that I know the DCS implementation exists is because that's what I use when sling load simming, because it's presently the best implementation of it in any sim. If v2024 betters that, then I'll happily "switch" for those purposes (though doing things under fire always adds a bit of spice to the experience). Oh, and p.s., the ships in DCS actually move with the waves, which makes it even more fun!

I.e., there is no one ring to rule them all - that's simply childish, binary "thinking".

Yup that's a whole lot of proving my point you wrote there. You're just going over the same old ground after I explained to you why bringing MSFS into it was a waste of time. Someone made a claim about XP12 that got disputed....what is your point?

If you knew what a good implementation of slinging looked like, why did you try so hard to defend XP12's implementation? That's what was really weird lol

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

52 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Just a pet peeve, to highlight something I mentioned when talking about performance.

You can see how low framerate those NPC cars are in the background compared to the rendering, quite a few times when they must be moving in single digit fps with 10 feet or more between one position and the next that gets rendered.

(Otherwise great video, wasn't criticising it, just highlighting how "hard" real perf is, and how games can "cheat")

Agree entirely.

MANY things need to be improved in DCSW (like RW Weather!!! 😉 ), but just like the other sims out there, progress is being made.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

things need to be improved

Ah, I didn't mean it in a need to be improved sense, shedding load from NPC cars is a perfectly legitimate "cheat" to free up compute for elsewhere.

it was more about highlighting the fundamental difference between XPs frame counter and other sim games when criticisms of XPs performance come up.

XPs frame counter is limited to the rate of the aircraft physics, rather than how quickly the GPU can pump out frames, this can make it appear that fps is very low, when in fact the GPU may very well be "capable" of pumping out 1000fps if it wasn't waiting for the next physics frame.

Very weird stuff happens when the physics framerate is low,  not knowing it is low (or not knowing very weird stuff happens when the physics framerate is low) can cause all kinds of hard to diagnose issues.

In the early days of XP11, I had an absolute nightmare trying to diagnose weird helicopter flight behaviour - that nearly all turned out to all be related to the physics fps dipping into the low 20s. This is why certification requires 60fps physics minimums (or in the case of some CAAs, like Canada aiui, 100fps)

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, Franz007 said:

meaning the aircrafts behave around the same when empty or full. And that is a huge issue for me personnally.

I have zero doubt that sort of thing is not the only big ticket problem elsewhere.

Xplanes "special sauce" is ~20 years of listening to the feedback from pilots with hands on experience.

and

~20 years of listening to 3rd party developers trying to address their issues while using words developers use to describe computers.

The only way you can buy that is to pick up a copy of xplane.

And that isn't enough to ever come close to independantly recreating what the xplane community has pulled together in that time.

1 more year, a rebrand and some baloon kit that was in the oldest versions of xplane isnt going to bring the likes of 737NG back, let alone make it attractive to those of us who have been "bought into" the Xplane eco system for a long time already. IMHO.

That may sound harsh, but I dont think there is any exaggerated xplane bias in this assessment.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

I just checked, and yes indeed, this is still the XPlane forum.  Those who desire to have a MSFS discussion in the XP forum should expect their prose compilations to disappear, and those with a habit of going there to be disinvited from further participation in this forum altogether.

And, seeing as this discussion left the reservation some time ago, this one is locked.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case