Sign in to follow this  
Lenovouser

P3D V5.4 High CPU Usage & Temps

21 hours ago, newtie said:

Interessante Erklärung Steve. Ich dachte immer, dass P3D als Administrator ausgeführt werden muss.

I have AVIA Sever , and here P3D has to run with admin mode

47 minutes ago, Lenovouser said:

THANK YOU

It was that attitude.

I'm doing EPKK-ENVA right now.

On the ground I was always around 60 degrees.

In the air I once had short peaks of 85 degrees. But now that I'm at cruise level, the CPU moves between 75 degrees and 80 degrees.

But 90% of the time I see 75-77 degrees.

That's really great.

Before that I always had 85 and again and again 90 degrees. The whole computer was lame and all other programs jerked.

Now everything runs smoothly again as it was under 5.3.

Thank you again.

For me P3D is back again 🙂

"Before that I always had 85 and again and again 90 degrees. The whole computer was lame and all other programs jerked. "

Just to verify.

A default setting (JobScheduler/affinity mask) in P3D5.4 was causing problems with other programs?

To me your CPU Temps are still high.

I never change the default P3D affinity mask and my CPU (I9 9900k) temps are 47 to 52 in all phases of flight.

Also, not seeing your problem reported by other pilots in the P3D forum.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

It is difficult to compare an Intel CPU 9900 directly with an AMD 5800X3D. It is known that 5800X3D can get quite warm CPU. I landed earlier and was often around 74 degrees in the air, which is perfectly ok for the CPU. I reach a maximum of 74 degrees in Cinebech, otherwise in other games the cpu does not go above 70 to 75 degrees.. I rarely play because the pc was mainly configured for P3D. I have another windows installation with MSFS, the cpu rarely goes above 60-65 degrees .. but here, too, it is difficult to compare msfs with p3d. I want to say again that my cpu temps were fine. my computer only blocked with the old setting in p3d and the temps were permanently high. currently it is great again..

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my DIY A320 homecockpit with a new PC. However I'm really struggling to get a smooth framerate without frequent pauses. The pauses last for a second or two and seem to be related to photoreal scenery loading.

The suggested Jobscheduler settings in this post for the 13900 seem to improve things, but they still leave me with pauses. In task manager, I observe the following: all CPU cores seem to be working at 85% or higher (the core temps fluctuate between 85°c and 100°c). Meanwhile, the 4090 rarely goes above 15%.

I am also a bit confused about how and where to set the display options for eg framerate and Vsync: Windows display options, NCP and/or P3D settings? If for example, I set FR limiter to 30 in NCP and turn on ViewGroups in P3D, the FR drops to 10. And finally, how can I minimise the occurrence of horizon deviation across my 3 TV displays during maneuvring? Although, during (gentle) airline manoeuvres this deviation is not very pronounced.

PC specs:
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) Black Big Tower
CPU: INTEL CORE I9 13900K 24-CORE (32 THREADS) running at  4.8GHZ
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB
3x 1TB SSD
RAM: Gskill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5  6400Mhz CL32
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W TITANIUM
MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
Watercooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 with fans above and below the radiator. In total 13 cooling fans. The GPU is vertically mounted.

Software:
W11 (virusscan exceptions made for all sim processes and scenery)
P3Dv5.4
FSLabs A32X experimental
HWI with Skalarki Profiler for TQ
FSUIPC (autosave off)
Mobiflight
SpadNext
UGCX
GSX
ASP3D
ENVTEX
Realturb
Plenty of add-on airports
FSiPanel
Freemesh
Photoreal scenery (two dedicated  1TB SSDs at or below 90% storage capacity)

P3D settings:
Autogen off
EA with VC at medium
Terrain sliders at max
Traffic low or zero
Framerate unlimited
Vsync on, Triple Buffering on
View group covering nearly 180 degrees FOV on 3 TVs using "cockpit-cockpit View". Undocked panels for all EFIS, ECAM, ISIS and both MCDU screens

Displays:
3 Samsung 4K 60Hz TVs, each running at 1920x1080 via DisplayPort. In Windows display settings, their refresh rate is set at 30Hz

1 BENQ 1080 display 60Hz via HDMI
2 native Displaylink USB3 displays 1600x900
2 LCDs 1024x600 via USB3 to HDMI adapters

Thanks for any suggestions!

On 8/11/2023 at 5:25 PM, newtie said:

Interesting explanation Steve. Always thought P3D had to be run as admin.

If you run another application as admin, and that communicates with P3D, then you would have to run P3D as admin as well so they can both communicate with the same permissions. This just means that the other application has an access requirement that has not been configured correctly for User permissions and running as admin is just a work-around. So if we find something does not work and we can get it going with run as admin, that is a pointer to a problem with the app. We can leave as-is and run as admin, or preferably, find the cause of the problem to avoid running as admin as a work-around.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

14 hours ago, Tweetyrj85 said:

The suggested Jobscheduler settings in this post for the 13900 seem to improve things, but they still leave me with pauses.

That's all you can do regarding improvements to the CPU setup to increase file loading performance. You could try reducing Terrain slider settings...

4 hours ago, SteveW said:

That's all you can do regarding improvements to the CPU setup to increase file loading performance. You could try reducing Terrain slider settings...

Thanks, I don't think this is where my problem is originating from, but I will give it try. I did not suffer these pauses on my previous PC...

(Intel i7 6700K 4-Core (8 threads) 4.0Ghz (turbo: 4.2Ghz) Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X 
1TB HDD 8GB DDR4)

I upgraded because the overall framerate was low and not very stable.

Maybe I should try reverting back to P3Dv5.3.

I was alway under the impression that using photoreal without autogen was better for performance than using no photoreal with autogen. But with my current setup the opposite seems to be true.

What surprises me as well, is that I have tried the Jobscheduler settings for a 12900 and my GPU seemed to be much more involved when I checked Task Manager Performance. Any idea how that is possible? Maybe it was a combination with different settings in NCP.

Vincent

46 minutes ago, Tweetyrj85 said:

I have tried the Jobscheduler settings for a 12900 and my GPU seemed to be much more involved

I suspect with the 12900 setting you are using 8 less E cores than the 13900 setting and so the GPU is more involved due to slower loading up scenery, traffic and other objects, but it could be down to other settings you are trying.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

I suspect with the 12900 setting you are using 8 less E cores than the 13900 setting and so the GPU is more involved due to slower loading up scenery, traffic and other objects, but it could be down to other settings you are trying.

So if that happens, there would be no overall performance benefit? I would think it would be nice if some of the heavy load on the CPU would be taken over by the GPU.

13 hours ago, Tweetyrj85 said:

So if that happens, there would be no overall performance benefit? I would think it would be nice if some of the heavy load on the CPU would be taken over by the GPU.

I think it's more about distributing CPU load.

Don't expect more FPS.

With SteveW's AffinityMask setting, my computer is unrecognizable.

Before that I always had a load of 100% and temps up to 90 degrees.

After the setting, I never saw 100% load again, the CPU is significantly cooler.

With the AffinityMask setting, cpu load is optimally distributed.

I am still very grateful to SteveW.

P3D was briefly dead for me because of my problems. But now everything is going great again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenovouser said:

I think it's more about distributing CPU load.

Don't expect more FPS.

With SteveW's AffinityMask setting, my computer is unrecognizable.

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=268435413
P3DCoreAffinityMask=268435413
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

These settings I still need to try when I get back to my PC. It doesn't seem healthy to see core temperatures continuously going up to 100°c.

I really appreciate all the good info in this post, because it is not exactly my expertise.

I would be happy with a consistent framerate of 30 and photoreal scenery loading without the 1 to 2 second pauses. I would imagine that with my new hardware that should be achievable...especially since I'm not using autogen except for the airports.

Hi, a friend of mine with an Intel 13700k CPU has temps of up to 100 degrees again and again. Is there an AffinityMask setting? I sent him mine from 5800x3d, but not much has happened

Thx. 

2 hours ago, Lenovouser said:

a friend of mine with an Intel 13700k CPU

i7-13700K 16 core CPU with 8 P cores and 8 E cores - HT Enabled = 24 LPs

HT Enabled 8 P cores and 8 E cores = 16 cores with 24 LPs
15,14,13,12,11,10,09,08,07,06,05,04,03,02,01,00=core number
 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,11,11,11,11,11,01,01,01=AffinityMask = 16777173
 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,11,11,11,11,11,01,01,01=P3DCoreAffinityMask = 16777173
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01=MainThreadScheduler = 0
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00=RenderThreadScheduler = 1
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00=FrameWorkerThreadScheduler = 2

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=16777173
P3DCoreAffinityMask=16777173
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

• Like 1

Steve,

What would you suggest for my i9-10850K with HT on?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

I tried the 13900k AM suggestion found in this thread. Made no difference to the CPU temperature. Still 85-100. I have a top line water cooling system installed with my CPU.

This is really frustrating 😔