Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

MSFS wouldn't start this morning

21 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am really surprised nobody reported this, this morning. I tried to start a flight around 9:30 AM EST, and the sim wouldn't even load a flight. The menus would freeze, when it did load, the Fenix would be under ground. I thought it was my new keyboard, but it turned out users on the FS Discord, were reporting the same thing. Finally on the FS Site, they reported a problem, and around an hour later it was fixed. I was thinking I was going to have to reinstall MSFS for awhile. 😗

Did happen to me a few times.

After trying all sorts of fixes, the only one that seemed to work was to manually delete one of the packages in Official folder (I chose Asobo-Jetways, I guess any Asobo package will do, just delete a small one that doesn't require hours to download).

Restart MSFS and it will do a validation on the package and eventually re-download not only the Asobo-Jetways, but also other essential packages that may be missing and possibly causing the issue.

26 minutes ago, FS++ said:

Did happen to me a few times.

After trying all sorts of fixes, the only one that seemed to work was to manually delete one of the packages in Official folder (I chose Asobo-Jetways, I guess any Asobo package will do, just delete a small one that doesn't require hours to download).

Restart MSFS and it will do a validation on the package and eventually re-download not only the Asobo-Jetways, but also other essential packages that may be missing and possibly causing the issue.

This problem had nothing to do with MSFS,  it was a problem with Asobo Server, which was fixed about 2 hours after it began. No need to uninstall, reinstall, or change anything. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

21 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

This problem had nothing to do with MSFS,  it was a problem with Asobo Server, which was fixed about 2 hours after it began. No need to uninstall, reinstall, or change anything. 

Happened here yesterday morning as well.  What I find challenging is NOT overreacting and assuming something is wrong on my end and so start the troubleshooting processes.  I must say I did better in that regard yesterday and this time decided best to just shut it down and try again later in the day and voila all was well again. 

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

9 minutes ago, Noel said:

Happened here yesterday morning as well.  What I find challenging is NOT overreacting and assuming something is wrong on my end and so start the troubleshooting processes.  I must say I did better in that regard yesterday and this time decided best to just shut it down and try again later in the day and voila all was well again. 

Here is exactly what was convincing me that MSFS had been trashed.

1. I could not start a flight,. after clicking on the opening screen. Screen froze, mouse had zero effect. 

2. I could not close MSFS other than go into task manager

3. In task manager, CPU for MSFS was 0%

4 Tried to restart, and eventually after several tries got to the screen where you select the departure airport. I tried input the airport KATL for example. I got K and then nothing, like the keyboard was frozen, Again, had to restart MSFS.

5 Tried the above after restarting everything, windows, MSFS, etc.. same result. 

6 Tried switch from my brand new Gaming keyboard to my old one.  No difference

7. Eventually flight loaded, Fenix went to full throttle, no control, Fenix sank under the runway

8 Restarted again. no scenery at all, under the runway again. 

9 Read on Discord that it was an Asobo problem. Tried one more time, everything back to normal.

What I was wondering about, is that no functions worked at all in MSFS, so the program must totally rely on the Asobo server to do anything, I guess. This I don't understand. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

30 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What I was wondering about, is that no functions worked at all in MSFS, so the program must totally rely on the Asobo server to do anything, I guess. This I don't understand. 

I think it does for the functions that count, and this is what worries me. 

They should at least be able to put a message on the screen to let you know if it can't establish a server connection, because otherwise the fault finding can waste quite a lot of time, as you elude to.

All of the airports and aircraft you own are stored in either the Community folder or the Official folder, so they could implement an offline fall-back mode at least. 
Although the scenery is basic (like FSX / P3D in offline mode), you can at least get a flight out of it, and the look of the scenery isn't completely devastating.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

22 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

You weren't alone, I had the very same thing, Funny thing is, I had just updated graphic drivers. It would run a bit and freeze, run a little and freeze again. I just rebooted and tried again. All was fine since. 

Same for me but it was yesterday morning, I rolled back my drivers later on in the day and all worked fine leading me to believe that had been the updated drivers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Here is exactly what was convincing me that MSFS had been trashed.

1. I could not start a flight,. after clicking on the opening screen. Screen froze, mouse had zero effect. 

2. I could not close MSFS other than go into task manager

3. In task manager, CPU for MSFS was 0%

4 Tried to restart, and eventually after several tries got to the screen where you select the departure airport. I tried input the airport KATL for example. I got K and then nothing, like the keyboard was frozen, Again, had to restart MSFS.

5 Tried the above after restarting everything, windows, MSFS, etc.. same result. 

6 Tried switch from my brand new Gaming keyboard to my old one.  No difference

7. Eventually flight loaded, Fenix went to full throttle, no control, Fenix sank under the runway

8 Restarted again. no scenery at all, under the runway again. 

9 Read on Discord that it was an Asobo problem. Tried one more time, everything back to normal.

Some marriges go that way.

sp