Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

ATC changes in 12.06 and beyond

ATC is one of the major and important features always lacking in general purpose flight simulators.

I have to say that taking all into consideration, including how long ago it was developed, by far the King of the Hill was Flight Assignment ATP and then it's successor Airline Simulator 2, my preferred ever !  Apart from it both MS FS and derivate and XP versions have always left a lot to be desired.

MFS 2020 changed it a bit, but not significantly, and so far XP12 hasn't shown anything worth the mention, even what I tested in 12.06 😕

I hope most of what I see written in that post can translate into effectivity for 12.07 and beyond...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

13 minutes ago, jcomm said:

ATC is one of the major and important features always lacking in general purpose flight simulators.

I have to say that taking all into consideration, including how long ago it was developed, by far the King of the Hill was Flight Assignment ATP and then it's successor Airline Simulator 2, my preferred ever !  Apart from it both MS FS and derivate and XP versions have always left a lot to be desired.

MFS 2020 changed it a bit, but not significantly, and so far XP12 hasn't shown anything worth the mention, even what I tested in 12.06 😕

I hope most of what I see written in that post can translate into effectivity for 12.07 and beyond...

If you want "real" online  is the only place you will find it. Latest is a vast improvement over original, even has a little allowance that one can use, if people are not to scared to try,

• Upvote 1

In my experience, while ATC in 12.06 is vastly better than XP11, at times it is frustrating even with the basic flying I do, which is usually a circuit or two or a very short < 30nm point to point flight in the C172

Typical examples are:
- ATC instructs to reach the holding point of a runway and at times it requires convoluted routes to get there or it start complaining about returning to the taxi route. This happens also when following the superimposed yellow arrows.
- Tower does not detect the holding point and never gives the the go ahead for line up and take off. 
- When requesting permission to land at a field you're often guided many miles away from it and with contrasting instructions.

However, when it all works well it is a pleasant experience and it can only get better from here.

Edited by peroni
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, peroni said:

In my experience, while ATC in 12.06 is vastly better than XP11, at times it is frustrating even with the basic flying I do, which is usually a circuit or two or a very short < 30nm point to point flight in the C172

Typical examples are:
- ATC instructs to reach the holding point of a runway and at times it requires convoluted routes to get there or it start complaining about returning to the taxi route. This happens also when following the superimposed yellow arrows.
- Tower does not detect the holding point and never gives the the go ahead for line up and take off. 
- When requesting permission to land at a field you're often guided many miles away from it and with contrasting instructions.

However, when it all works well it is a pleasant experience and it can only get better from here.

A lot of those issues, require the airport artists to provide the correct ATC traffic paths, and to ensure that hold points line up. An the path issue is a lot of staring watching AI take off land taxi with different winds and runways. you think you have it right than AI show you its wrong. If it was just so easy. Got time on your hands. He has fixed a lot of hold and back taxi issues, but im sure along the way we will find more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

If you want "real" online  is the only place you will find it. Latest is a vast improvement over original, even has a little allowance that one can use, if people are not to scared to try,

I'm looking fwd for the "emerging"  AI techniques to offer very nice standalone ATC robots... VATSIM / IVAO have their advantages but also some limitations posed by the availability of controllers and time slots, depending on and when you fly in your sim...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

I like XP12's ATC for GA flying. Due to lack of SID and STAR support, however, I don't use it for airliners at the moment.

Regardless, it's a huge leap in quality and capability compared to XP11. Yet, it still falls short of FSX (regardless of the latter's bugs) in terms of flexibility. But as long as Jim stays at Laminar, ATC (and maybe AI) can only get better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

6 hours ago, peroni said:

Did my first flight with XP12 ATC yesterday and this is what had me screaming into my monitor, I could not understand why it put me 12 miles away from the airport, brings me closer only to send me back out for more vectoring.

Edited by ohsirus
  • Upvote 1