Sign in to follow this  
Hyper14

Flybywire a320 descend rate

Hi, I recently flew the flybywire a320 and it was really good except for one thing. 
When I started my descend, I selected my desired altitude and started a managed mode descend. Usually other aircraft descended at about 1800-2300 feet per minute but this aircraft straight up started to go 4500-5000 ft per minute. Obviously I reach my altitude too early and I had to hold my flight level for a few minutes, before starting the descent again.

I was wondering, am I doing anything wrong, is there any solution to this?

ps: in the fenix a320 I did the same thing and it worked perfectly.

Sounds like you're missing your TOD point and the aircraft is going into a steeper descent to catch up with the profile. I use the FBW constantly and I have the descent profile down to a science in OP DES, never have a problem.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

Yea, the thing is that unlike the fenix, this aircraft doesn’t have a altitude restriction for every waypoint, so I don’t really know when and where I have to be at a certain altitude

Hi there,

first: what version do you use, stable or development?

second: what exactly do you mean with "...altitude restriction for every waypoint"?

FlyByWire Simulations

I have the stable version and by altitude restrictions I mean that on the fenix, every waypoint has and altitude/flight level assigned to it( on the right of every waypoint)

And the vertical speed thing happens at takeoff too, I just took of and 10 seconds later, I was climbing 5000 ft a minute

I would suggest that you try the development version.

• Like 2

FlyByWire Simulations

10 hours ago, Hyper14 said:

Hi, I recently flew the flybywire a320 and it was really good except for one thing. 
When I started my descend, I selected my desired altitude and started a managed mode descend. Usually other aircraft descended at about 1800-2300 feet per minute but this aircraft straight up started to go 4500-5000 ft per minute. Obviously I reach my altitude too early and I had to hold my flight level for a few minutes, before starting the descent again.

I was wondering, am I doing anything wrong, is there any solution to this?

ps: in the fenix a320 I did the same thing and it worked perfectly.

The stable version does not have full vertical descent management (VNAV). It will attempt to obey any altitude constraints, but will do so by flying an open descent to reach them. An open descent uses idle thrust and adjusts pitch to stay on the target airspeed. Thus, it will give you the highest descent rate for the configuration you're in that maintains the target airspeed and will generally reach the constraint altitude early. Depending on your weight, the descent rate can easily reach 4-5,000 fpm in the early part of the descent if you are light.  Similarly, in climb, the airplane can achieve 5,0000 fpm initial climb rates if you are light (for example, 60T or less)