Sign in to follow this  
Rein2

ORBX vector does make a difference

8 hours ago, Reader said:

So much depends on the hardware and the end user, but here is
the long loading time here of the in-game map with Orbx Vector installed:

No, I don't mean the time it takes to initially display the map, but the time it takes to load new map data when you navigate around inside the map.

It is slow even without vector, but with vector it takes even longer.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

14 hours ago, johncott said:

What did I do, I created a fix call "Global_Default_Vector_Removal" available in the AVSIM library.  This replaces the nine large ORBX vector files with smaller ones covering the whole earth with smaller files leading to faster loading times for the items I mentioned earlier.

I reinstalled ORBX Vector and replaced the stock vector exclude files with your smaller exclude files.

This has indeed made a positive difference.  Loading times are noticeably faster now.

I'm going to keep ORBX Vector installed now, as its data is slightly better than stock data.  I will, however, stick with the stock P3Dv5 roads.

Thanks a lot for all your work on this.

Dave 

• Like 2

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

5 hours ago, jkeye said:

Thanks for bringing this to attention again.

Have you tried your fix in v6?

No I have not, I have looked at the fire structure and it looks the same.  I am waiting to see what ORBX does with Vector for P3DV6.  I heard that ORBX is working on updates for V6.   The key is how the exclude files are handled in P3DV6.  If there are no changes with exclusions in V5 and V6 then my fix should work.  If I remember right I think you tried my fix before and said it didn't help that much in V6?   If you do give it a (another) try, I would appreciate your feedback.

John C.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

I reinstalled ORBX Vector and replaced the stock vector exclude files with your smaller exclude files.

This has indeed made a positive difference.  Loading times are noticeably faster now.

I'm going to keep ORBX Vector installed now, as its data is slightly better than stock data.  I will, however, stick with the stock P3Dv5 roads.

Thanks a lot for all your work on this.

Dave 

Hi Dave,

You're welcome. Thanks for your feedback. I only had one beta tester give it try and their feedback was positive and the results on my system were very good so I uploaded to the library. There has been nine new downloads since my post yesterday (went from 160 to 169). Hopefully I will get some more feedback.

John C.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

45 minutes ago, johncott said:

No I have not, I have looked at the fire structure and it looks the same.  I am waiting to see what ORBX does with Vector for P3DV6.  I heard that ORBX is working on updates for V6.   The key is how the exclude files are handled in P3DV6.  If there are no changes with exclusions in V5 and V6 then my fix should work.  If I remember right I think you tried my fix before and said it didn't help that much in V6?   If you do give it a (another) try, I would appreciate your feedback.

John C.

Sadly I've removed OrbX-I find that the default scenery textures play better with the lighting in v6-especially things like runway turnoff lights in the PMDG NGXu which seemed to have no effect when I had Orbx installed-maybe this is incorrect,but I also

seemed to lose road traffic which is a massive immersion factor for me.

22 hours ago, johncott said:

My thoughts for those people mentioning longer loading times and performance issues with ORBX vector.

Beginning with ORBX Vector for P3DV5, ORBX had to make some changes to their vector product.  This was mainly due to how the airport backgrounds were handled in P3DV5.  Before V5 ORBX vector used one excluded for each small area of the world to remove default vector data including water bodies, coastlines, road data, etc.  LM (Lougheed Martin) changed how the airport backgrounds were handle in P3DV5 and using one exclude file also deleted the default airport backgrounds.  What did ORBX do? They created 9 large world wide files to exclude the nine individual nine vector items: parks, railways, roads, shorelines, streams, traffic, utilities, water and water GPS vector data.  As mentioned, the P3DV5 ORBX nine vector exclude files are large take a long time to load the vector data because they cover the whole world.  Loading these large files can take a long time.  This can cause long loading times on start-up. Also longer loading times for anything with a map like the flight planner and when zooming out on a GPS gauge. These larger files can also create long stutters when flying.

What did I do, I created a fix call "Global_Default_Vector_Removal" available in the AVSIM library.  This replaces the nine large ORBX vector files with smaller ones covering the whole earth with smaller files leading to faster loading times for the items I mentioned earlier.

my main reason for creating my fix was the LM default water data in P3DV5 for rivers in my area where I do a lot of flying is missing.  P3DV6 has the same issue. ORBX Vector does have the missing rivers.

Other thoughts,

ORBxXVector is not perfect,  For example, part of the Yukon River is missing in Alaska,  Grand Lake is missing in Ohio, some land is missing from Mansel Island at the top of Hudson Bay Canada. There are issues with coastlines and missing land around Bella Bella, British Columbia.

I use FreeMeshX mesh data and I find ORBX vector and FreeMeshX works best together. This gives me the best result of any other combination of default vector data, ORBX vector data, FreeMeshX and default mesh especially in the Canadian North where I do a lot of flying.

We all have our reasons for using a particular add-on depending where we fly or what type of flying we do. What may work for one person may not work for another. 

John C.

I just tried this fix (P3Dv5.4) and it basically fixed Orbx Vector for me (no long loading times anymore and flightplanner works flawlessly)! Thank you a lot for this (this is exactly why I love this community)! 

• Like 2

i7 13700K @ 5.3 ghz / DeepCool AK620 Cooler / MSI Z790 Tomahawk WiFi / 32GB Trident DDR5 RAM @ 7200 mhz / 24GB Gainward 3090 Geforce RTX  / 2 TB SSD WD Black SN850X NVMe / 1 TB SSD Samsung 990 Pro series / 2 TB SSD Samsung 980 Pro Series / 500 gb and 250 gb SSD Samsung Evo 850 / RM1000W Corsair PSU

1 hour ago, Blasb said:

I just tried this fix (P3Dv5.4) and it basically fixed Orbx Vector for me (no long loading times anymore and flightplanner works flawlessly)! Thank you a lot for this (this is exactly why I love this community)! 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

John C.

John C.

I have all the Orbx global products for p3d v5.4, and can say they have absolutely transformed p3d, its like a new sim.

Don't really have any issues with long loading times with vector installed, although recently upgraded my PC, with new 2TB Kingston Fury drive, AMD 5800x3d CPU, nvidia 4080 FE, 32 GB RAM, G-Sync 4K 32" monitor, so maybe thats why it loads quite well.

Why don't you uninstall all the Orbx global products, run p3d, then put all the graphics back to default in p3d, then re-install the Orbx global products again, and just try running P3d with the graphics at default?

Dunno if that might help.🙂

9 hours ago, seamaster55 said:

I have all the Orbx global products for p3d v5.4, and can say they have absolutely transformed p3d, its like a new sim.

Don't really have any issues with long loading times with vector installed, although recently upgraded my PC, with new 2TB Kingston Fury drive, AMD 5800x3d CPU, nvidia 4080 FE, 32 GB RAM, G-Sync 4K 32" monitor, so maybe thats why it loads quite well.

Why don't you uninstall all the Orbx global products, run p3d, then put all the graphics back to default in p3d, then re-install the Orbx global products again, and just try running P3d with the graphics at default?

Dunno if that might help.🙂

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm running v6.

When you say run the graphics at default do you mean the settings in the options menu?

I was referring to the default scenery and textures provided by a clean full re-install of the sim which is working better than those with Orbx installed (whatever graphics settings I was using).

Have you tried Orbx in v6 yet?

12 hours ago, jkeye said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm running v6.

When you say run the graphics at default do you mean the settings in the options menu?

I was referring to the default scenery and textures provided by a clean full re-install of the sim which is working better than those with Orbx installed (whatever graphics settings I was using).

Have you tried Orbx in v6 yet?

Yes, start up p3d, go to Options> Display> Display Global Settings> Reset Defaults.

Have I tried Orbx in V6 yet?

No, uninstalled v6, found it quite disappointing really, might come back to it after LM put some more fixes into it, and Orbx  Central works with it, the airports, runways taxiways look better in v6.

If you want good graphics settings follow this chaps videos: 

15 hours ago, seamaster55 said:

Yes, start up p3d, go to Options> Display> Display Global Settings> Reset Defaults.

Have I tried Orbx in V6 yet?

No, uninstalled v6, found it quite disappointing really, might come back to it after LM put some more fixes into it, and Orbx  Central works with it, the airports, runways taxiways look better in v6.

If you want good graphics settings follow this chaps videos: 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Those possibly relate more to v5- v6 doesn't use enhanced atmospherics.

i am definitely sticking with v6-on the fence with OrbX and Vector at the moment