Sign in to follow this  
baxterbj

GSX Pro Crashing MSFS after MSFS update

Hi Team,

After yesterday's MSFS update, I'm getting an error message from GSX on boot up and it crashes my system.

I have updated GSX, but this hasn't fixed the issue.

Is anyone else having this problem?

When I deactivate GSX, MSFS starts and functions without a Problem.

King Regards 

BJ from Oz

no issues here after  the update  have  you posted your issue at fsdt forum

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

no issues here after  the update  have  you posted your issue at fsdt forum

Not yet, I visited the Forum and there is no Mention of problems, but I will, Thanks.

Regards BJ from Oz

Working fine here as well, thought the MS update was just AIRAC though ??

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

On 9/24/2023 at 1:26 AM, Brocky120 said:

GSX can't crash MSFS, GSX crashes as a result of MSFS crashing.

My MSFS is working fine, if I don't have GSX loading through Addons Linker.

If I load MSFS, then once that it up and running, manually activate GSX, then I don't have a problem.

Yet prior to any update, I had it load up through the tool section of Addons Linker, without problem.

Haven't posted on FSDT forum yet as I'm waiting for approval as a member, once a member, I can load up my error log, and find out what was or is causing the problem, when loaded through Addons Linker,

Regards

BJ from Oz

On 9/25/2023 at 6:14 AM, baxterbj said:

My MSFS is working fine, if I don't have GSX loading through Addons Linker.

As other explained to you, GSX cannot crash the sim, it just can't, because it runs as an external program which, by definition, not being a driver or a low-level service but a regular user-mode .exe, it simply doesn't have any access to the MSFS process and this is enforced by the OS.

If you *think* GSX is crashing the sim, maybe because you saw an entry for the Couatl_MSFS.exe in the Event Viewer, that doesn't mean it made the sim crash, if was the other way around: the simulator crashed for another reason, and made the Couatl exe crash, because the abrupt MSFS crash prevented the Couatl exe to receive the proper Simconnect "Quit/Close" commands which would trigger its own memory clean up routines that are required to exit cleanly, this because the Couatl .exe is not a .NET application where memory is automatically reclaimed by the .NET garbage collection: it's a Win64 unmanaged .exe, so it needs to do its clean up on closing explicitly, which it always does, but not if the sim crashed abruptly, so you see an event for it in the Event Viewer, and you can be easily mislead thinking Couatl was the cause of the crash, when in fact was the victim of your MSFS crashing.

If you check the Event Viewer, you'll likely find a crash event logged for Flightsimulator.exe, and if you look at the timestamps, it's very likely it happened *before* the Couatl crash, clearly proving MSFS crashed first, and it MADE Couatl crash, not the other way around.

About the Addon Linker, you don't have to use the Addon Linker in the first place, because the *default* installation for GSX is to ALWAYS use a Symbolic link, so the Addon Linker is not required, since you can quickly Enable/Disable GSX from its own Installer, and it only uses Symbolic links. 

As far as I know, the Addon Linker should recognize an add-on has already linked itself, and should just leave the link as it is. That's how is supposed to work but, I don't know if in your installation combined with the usage of the Addon Linker, you might have ended up with a mix-up of real folders and symbolic links, possibly if you already installed GSX *before* we made a check in the installer to prevent users to install "inside" the Community folder, which would create circular links, that is a big mess, so maybe if you used the Addon Linker to "fix" that situation, your installation might be messed up now.

You can try the following:

- Uninstall GSX using its installer. Reply YES to the question to Unlink and YES to the question to Uninstall

- If you still have folders related to gsx packages in the Community folder (you shouldn't), REMOVE THEM

- Reinstall GSX again, and DO NOT use the Addon Linker, since it will link itself. Test it.