Sign in to follow this  
topcat_1952

FBW A320 Landing Gear Behavior

Forgive me if this topic was covered. Searching did not show anything.

I noticed today that the landing gear handle no longer goes up and down. It just moves a tiny bit regardless of whether I use the handle on my Thrustmaster Airbus Throttle Quadrant Ad-On, or the Bravo handle, or even using "G" or "Ctrl-G" for Gear Up and Gear Down. This was while sitting on the ground. 

When I take off, even before I lift the gear handle, the landing gear raises by itself. I am then unable to lower the gear while in flight, even if below the required speed. I have tried it with SimBridge on or off. It also occurs with either the Stable or Dev version, FBW A320 or Headwind A330, on the ramp at shutdown or on the runway with rngines running. 

Does anyone have any idea why I might now be getting this behavior? Did FBW change something?

Suggestions are much appreciated!

Denny Knepper, Newville, PA USA

Just a guess, but maybe you accidentally turned on the "copilot" assistance option? It seems like the kind of thing that could cause this behavior. 

Thanks for suggestion. I did check under the Flight Assistant menu and all was turned off there (I assume that is where it is located).

Funny thing was, after I wrote the above, I tried another flight but, this time, spauned on the runway with engines running. That time, it worked fine including being able to drop the gear in flight. Now, I am wondering if GSX may be messin' with me. More experiments I guess.

Same issue still occuring this morning. Reached my limit of intelligence. Seems to be FBW related as the Fenix A320 works normally.

17 hours ago, topcat_1952 said:

Same issue still occuring this morning. Reached my limit of intelligence. Seems to be FBW related as the Fenix A320 works normally.

I have the same issue with any version of the FBW A320 and I don't use GSX.

The landing gear will not retract even pushing G key. 

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Check whether you have multiple button/key assignments for gear toggle. Could well be that you have contradicting assignments

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I did confirm that it is an FBW issue. Same happens on Headwind A330, plus Horizon mods of LFVR Airbus aircraft. No problem with the Fenix A320 or the unmodded LVFR planes.

Going to check for duplicate hardware assignments as mentioned by "Dad", and, if no change, not touching the gear handle at all until engines are fully up up and running. Perhaps something related to hydraulic system?

may be hydraulics but dont think so, why would that make the gear retract. check your assignments, especially gear toggle and gear up, rather seems like there is a contant button pressed and/or wrong assigned axis...

best is to search by input "gear" and then check ALL your input options, i.e. mouse, keyboard, joysticks whether you have multiple assignments

Screenshot-2283.png

EDIT multiple assignments per se are not bad, I have e.g. G on the keyboard assigned to gear toggle but also a botton on my TCA. but in any case there should be only unique assignments and especially no axis assigned

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Yup getting the gear issues with only the Headwind A330 and FBW A320.

Wonder if it has something to do with my hardware.

I have gear up assigned to my CH Eclipse Yoke, but out of all things why wouldn't the G key work?

As it works with every single other plane but these two?

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Just out of curiosity, do you have different profiles for each plane? If not, you should. I have one for FBW-based (FBW, HW, Horizon), a separate one for Fenix, and so so on.

If the gear is going up on its own, that really stikes me as some of assistance co-pilot thing. It's worth noting that the Fenix just flat out disables all that stuff when it loads. These are under Assistance Options, Piloting. There is one specific to this: Assisted Takeoff which will also work the landing gear.

I know you mentioned you checked, but want to make sure where you looked.

I did check and did not see anything, but I'll check again. Last time I flew, the handle went up (and gear retracted on its own), and then I could also drop the gear as well (as long as I was slow enough). There is a bunch of stuff in the FBW documentation about the landing gear, but it was too technical for me to understand. 

And, yes, I do have separate profiles for the A320, the A330 (HW), and Fenix. I even tried disabling the TW and using my Bravo and got the same result.

Edited by topcat_1952
added more info

On 10/24/2023 at 7:55 AM, DAD said:

may be hydraulics but dont think so, why would that make the gear retract. check your assignments, especially gear toggle and gear up, rather seems like there is a contant button pressed and/or wrong assigned axis...

best is to search by input "gear" and then check ALL your input options, i.e. mouse, keyboard, joysticks whether you have multiple assignments

Screenshot-2283.png

EDIT multiple assignments per se are not bad, I have e.g. G on the keyboard assigned to gear toggle but also a botton on my TCA. but in any case there should be only unique assignments and especially no axis assigned

Did all that. I thought the same but could not find anything.

Interesting thing about the TW gear handle (part of the Add-on) unit was Button 21 was assigned to BOTH Gear up and Gear Down. There is no button for when the gear handle is in the rear (down) position. Obviously, I experimented removing the button assignment for Gear Down. The Defaut assigment shows button 21 assigned for both Gear Up and Gear Down, so I assume that is how Thrustmaster expects it to be.

The TCA quadrant gear lever is a simple on-off switch, so it's interpreted by MSFS as a button. It is correct to have it assigned to both 'GEAR UP' and 'GEAR DOWN', but 'GEAR UP' must be 'ON PRESS' and 'GEAR DOWN' must be 'ON RELEASE'. If they are both set to 'ON PRESS' or both to 'ON RELEASE' then confusion will reign.

• Upvote 1

Ian Box