Sign in to follow this  
Kalnon

How to fix bright green trees?

I really like almost everything about P3Dv5 but there is one thing that I absolutely hate and that is the super bright, lime green trees everywhere.  It just looks absolutely terrible and very unrealistic.  It's most noticeable in temperate zones like much of the U.S. where there's lots of trees.

I've tried using Orbx FTX Trees HD and Terra Flora V2, I've even tried both enabled at the same time and there's absolutely no difference in the trees at all.  I'm not even sure those tree add-ons are even doing anything.  Enabling HDR makes them even brighter.  I've also searched all over the web for better, more realistic looking tree textures and I found nothing.

Is there any way possible to fix these terrible looking trees?

v0I9AQM.jpg

HGPKKT0.jpg

IajXv5s.jpg

Edited by Kalnon

I don't have P3D installed, and It's been quite awhile since I've been using it... But as far as I remember, isn't this something to do with Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation?

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

49 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

Is there any way possible to fix these terrible looking trees?

Yes there is.

20 minutes ago, anden145 said:

isn't this something to do with Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation?

Yes indeed, disabling Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation in the settings UI and  then shutting down and restarting P3D will remove the lime green "speed trees".

The Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation will move dynamicaly with wind, which is pretty great in itself, however if only LM had hired real artists to design and implement them...

Some Orbx Terra Flora info.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

56 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Yes there is.

Yes indeed, disabling Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation in the settings UI and  then shutting down and restarting P3D will remove the lime green "speed trees".

The Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation will move dynamicaly with wind, which is pretty great in itself, however if only LM had hired real artists to design and implement them...

Some Orbx Terra Flora info.

Cheers

I tried disabling Dynamic Vegitation and it does get rid of the lime green trees but the trees still look terrible.  With it turned off the trees look very pathetic.  They kind of look kind of like 2D telephone poles with little to no leaf's and branches on them, they look so barren.  In fact, they look way worse than the trees I have installed for FSX (Trees HD + Natural Tree Environment X).  I wish the trees in P3Dv5 looked as good as my FSX trees.

LM did a terrible job with the trees in P3Dv5 and it seems nobody made a fix for them (maybe that's why most P3D users fly jets at 30,000 feet?).  I would give my right arm for some good looking trees.  I do a lot of VFR flying and I need to have decent looking trees.

I did verify the files for Terra Flora V2 as well as Trees HD and it did download some files so I'm off to go test and see if anything has changed.

Edited by Kalnon

I also do not like too much green, so i found a way to get rid of that by using 'Reshade' where u can play with saturation of each base colour. Now with this tool my P3D looks way better.

• Like 1

Artur 

6 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I also do not like too much green, so i found a way to get rid of that by using 'Reshade' where u can play with saturation of each base colour. Now with this tool my P3D looks way better.

That's a great I idea, I use RDshade, I'm sure if I play with some of it's settings, I can get it looking better with some tweaking.

I have fixed it now to some degree thanks to the info that Rogan gave me about verifying the files of Terra Flora V2 as well as Trees HD, it did download some new files so I ran P3D again to check.  I turned off 3D Dynamic Vegetation (and made sure Terra Flora V2 and Trees HD were enabled and started a flight in the same area as the photos I shared as well as some other areas and it looks acceptable now.  It seems the Orbx tree mods are working now and it looks noticeably better.  It's nothing fantastic but it's acceptable now.  Strange thing is that the trees look nothing like the ones pictured in the Orbx manuals for both Trees HD and Terra Flora V2 which makes no sense to me, the trees pictured in the manuals look much better than what I'm seeing.  I still think my FSX trees look better though 😂

Glad u found a solution, indeed P3D is not VFR sim - it is too ugly and that probably never change ...

• Like 1

Artur 

The TerraFlora v2 trees look great in P3Dv4 on my PC. They made a considerable difference when compared to the default trees. As for the 3D Speedtrees, they have been disabled from day one.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 10/25/2023 at 5:48 PM, Kalnon said:

I did verify the files for Terra Flora V2 as well as Trees HD and it did download some files so I'm off to go test and see if anything has changed.

Did anything change ?

Terra Flora Trees shuld be very noticably different, especially close up.

Orbx HD Trees and Terra Flora v2 might be clashing as they both will be replacing the default trees, that said Orbx HD Trees does include some specifics for some of Orbx's regions that are not default trees.

Perhaps stripping out the default trees from Orbx HD Trees might be a thing to do.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Hi,

Have you tried you PC`s display settings. Right click on desktop.....display settings......Windows HD Color.......Use HDR, you can turn on and off.

Just an idea.

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

14 hours ago, Rogen said:

Did anything change ?

Terra Flora Trees shuld be very noticably different, especially close up.

Orbx HD Trees and Terra Flora v2 might be clashing as they both will be replacing the default trees, that said Orbx HD Trees does include some specifics for some of Orbx's regions that are not default trees.

Perhaps stripping out the default trees from Orbx HD Trees might be a thing to do.

Cheers

My apologies, I forgot to update this thread.  I did try disabling the tree add-ons as you suggested and it made no difference at the time.  I have gotten the trees to look better and I will explain what I did.

After doing some more research, I came across an old Orbx forum thread where people were talking about missing textures in the Terra Flora V2 add-on and how they didn't see any difference when they used it.  Someone there suggested to open Orbx Central and use the file verification to make sure it was installed properly so I decided to do the same.  I verified the files for both Terra Flora V2 as well as Trees HD and it worked.

After I did this, I ran the sim to test.  I ran the sim with just Trees HD and again with just Terra Flora V2 and I was able to actually see the new textures of each add-on.  I also tested with both tree add-ons enabled together and I could see the difference there too.  I ran tests first with Dynamic Vegetation on, then again turned off.   The trees still looked bright green with that setting enabled but they did look somewhat better than before.  With Dynamic Vegetation disabled, they looked so much much better, the trees no longer looked bright green at all, thank god!

So it turns out all I needed to do was verify the files of the tree add-ons, keep Dynamic Vegetation disabled and that fixed the issue.  I am just so happy to finally be rid of those word not allowed bright lime green trees that looked so terrible even though I'm stuck with 2D trees.  But that's ok, as long as I don't have to look at those terrible default trees, I can at least enjoy some VFR flying now 😀

I also went to the fsdevelopers forum and asked if there was any solution to the bright green 3D trees and a developer there responded, I don't recall his exact words, but he thanked me for bringing the issue to his attention and he sounded like he was interested in maybe coming up with a solution, so who knows, we might get a fix for 3D trees sometime in the near future perhaps.

Edited by Kalnon

2 hours ago, Recognition said:

Hi,

Have you tried you PC`s display settings. Right click on desktop.....display settings......Windows HD Color.......Use HDR, you can turn on and off.

Just an idea.

I have to leave HDR off, otherwise I get frame rate stuttering.  I tried everything you could possibly imagine to fix the stuttering but disabling HDR is the only thing that worked.

BTW as you probably saw in my screenshots above, I had P3D looking rather dark.  That's not just because of HDR being off but also I was also messing around with RDShade to try to make the trees look less bright.  I'm still messing with the reshade settings to get P3D looking the way I want.

Edited by Kalnon

10 hours ago, Kalnon said:

So it turns out all I needed to do was verify the files of the tree add-ons, keep Dynamic Vegetation disabled and that fixed the issue.  I am just so happy to finally be rid of those word not allowed bright lime green trees that looked so terrible even though I'm stuck with 2D trees.  But that's ok, as long as I don't have to look at those terrible default trees, I can at least enjoy some VFR flying now 😀

Hey great to hear you've resolved your trees issue.

10 hours ago, Kalnon said:

I also went to the fsdevelopers forum and asked if there was any solution to the bright green 3D trees and a developer there responded, I don't recall his exact words, but he thanked me for bringing the issue to his attention and he sounded like he was interested in maybe coming up with a solution, so who knows, we might get a fix for 3D trees sometime in the near future perhaps.

Do you mean the LM forum ?

There is a post on LM's forum implying dynamic vegetation has been removed from v6, there has been no response from any of LM's crew though, not that no reponse is to be unexpected though.

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149834

Can anyone running v6 confirm ?

Cheers

49 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Hey great to hear you've resolved your trees issue.

Do you mean the LM forum ?

There is a post on LM's forum implying dynamic vegetation has been removed from v6, there has been no response from any of LM's crew though, not that no reponse is to be unexpected though.

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149834

Can anyone running v6 confirm ?

Cheers

I resolved it to some degree I would say, I would still love to have 3D trees, I love low and slow VFR flying.  I like jets too just like the next guy but I have a lot of scenery and textures installed like lots of Orbx Global range and Regions scenery, Aerosoft scenery, lots of fantastic looking photoscenery and I also collect cityscape scenery as well as environmental textures so I have a pretty rich and vivid world to explore and sometimes I like to take it all in and enjoy all that fantastic scenery.

The forum I was talking about is https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/  It's a site that a lot of flight simulation developers use to talk to each other and ask questions about all the different aspects of flight simulation development.  If you ever want to learn how to develop airplanes, scenery or whatever else (even just as a hobby), this is the place to go.  I've used it before because I want to learn on how to fix the performance of aircraft that are not modeled or don't behave correctly.  I like aircraft that fly by the numbers.

Edit: fsdeveloper also has a fantastic wiki page that has a ton of information on how to develop for flight sims.  You can learn a lot there if your interested.  I'm definitely learning a lot by reading it.  There's other things I want to learn to, like how to make my own PFD for the Sky Simulations MD-11.  The PFD in that plane is absolutely terrible, it's extremely fuzzy or blurry it's difficult to read.  I enjoy that plane a lot but I can't stand that terribly done display and nobody has made a better one for it.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Edited by Kalnon
  • Like 1