Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

KMDT Harrisburg Intl. Airport - MSFS

This airport came out of no where, Does anyone own it? I use to fly to KMDT in P3D back in the day.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I don't own it, but I probably will.  I haven't flown the Aerosoft CRJ for a while, maybe fly some CRJ routes from Philly to Harrisburg, KPIT to Harrisburg, or Charleston WV (good scenery out there for that airport) to Harrisburg.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think generally the Airport is worth buying for its price tag of 18 USD. I just bought the product yesterday of writing this because this is my local airport, and it actually not bad then I thought it was considering how unknown the developer is (Sierrasim Simulations). Ground textures are actually transparent so the detail from the satellite image fills in the missing detail which is interesting for this scenery. The 3d modeling is very very close to the actual airport if not almost 1:1. There are some static aircraft parked on ramps not gates. The runway textures in my opinion could use a little more work as well as the main terminal (Grey shape Y building) because there are holes in the terminal yet it not very noticeable and hopefully the fix that. My only gripe with the scenery is how transparent the windows (They should be dimmer) and runway textures could use a bit more work. But honestly it isn't that bad considering it's only $18 on simmarket and the location of the airport gives a lot of possible flights you can do in the sim. Overall, very much worth it if you're into flying around the northeastern part of the US and generally North America.

I have a few SierraSim airports mostly in Colombia.  They are a low to mid level Mid tier developer in my opinion.  Mostly accurate, 100% custom, but just lacking in detail.

They have sales frequently so if you don't NEED this airport i'd whait until inevitably goes on sale during black friday.  I picked up a bunch of their airports for 40% off at some point.

• Upvote 1

I used to live close to this field and have flown out of it in real life privately as well as on airline flights, so I purchased it.

Generally enjoyable and by far the best rendition we have, but I just emailed the dev with a few issues.

1. AI aircraft get stuck when departing runway 31. I'm not sure about runway 13 yet but I'm guessing it's likely. They are cleared to enter the runway environment, and then just sit there. Aircraft behind them also continue to enter the runway environment and they all sit in a line on the active until they disappear. 

2. The C-130s are the wrong color. The sim depicts them as dark green, as if they were RAF types, whereas in real-life they are USAF grey. 

3. I asked if an ability can be introduced to remove some or all static aircraft based on user preference. (Not a bug, but a preference).

4. Finally, purely out of curiosity, I asked if they considered doing an enhanced if not custom KCXY, which is right across the river. The airports are so close that there is a direct ATC line between them to deconflict arriving and departing traffic. I have had to alter my flight path (as well as hold on the ground) when operating out of both airports in real life due to traffic at the other airport. 

Will advise if the developer responds in the coming days with anything positive. #1 regarding the AI is the largest concern. 

Edited by STK
  • Upvote 1

On 11/4/2023 at 11:15 AM, STK said:

I used to live close to this field and have flown out of it in real life privately as well as on airline flights, so I purchased it.

Generally enjoyable and by far the best rendition we have, but I just emailed the dev with a few issues.

1. AI aircraft get stuck when departing runway 31. I'm not sure about runway 13 yet but I'm guessing it's likely. They are cleared to enter the runway environment, and then just sit there. Aircraft behind them also continue to enter the runway environment and they all sit in a line on the active until they disappear. 

2. The C-130s are the wrong color. The sim depicts them as dark green, as if they were RAF types, whereas in real-life they are USAF grey. 

3. I asked if an ability can be introduced to remove some or all static aircraft based on user preference. (Not a bug, but a preference).

4. Finally, purely out of curiosity, I asked if they considered doing an enhanced if not custom KCXY, which is right across the river. The airports are so close that there is a direct ATC line between them to deconflict arriving and departing traffic. I have had to alter my flight path (as well as hold on the ground) when operating out of both airports in real life due to traffic at the other airport. 

Will advise if the developer responds in the coming days with anything positive. #1 regarding the AI is the largest concern. 

Any reply from the dev? I just emailed them about gate positions not being correct in sim. Makes it impossible to pick correct parking in GSX taxing in.

Got a generic response weeks ago saying thanks but no commitment to improve the product, and I haven't seen any updates since then. I may try to email them again (noting it took two attempts prior for a response), but not sure if it's worth it. I would keep emailing them a few times to see if they will commit to an update.

Edited by STK
  • Upvote 1

Looks like another version was released today by iniBuilds for Xometry. I guess I need to watch both video's and see which on to get. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Looks like another one to add to the library. 

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

The new Xometry one does look a lot better, and I'm hoping has better support too. Seems like Sierrasim releases a product then abandons it. I've tried following-up multiple times on my support requests to Sierra with no answer. No activity on their Facebook since late Oct as well. 

The Xometry  one looks good. I really could care less about inside airports. I really don't get the point of  that. I dont fly inside an airport. Just a waste of energy in my opinion.

I used to love this airport. Forget in what version.

Especially when you can come in from the water and turn in left to the runway. I love any airport near water.

Ron

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

We now have *two* Harrisburgs, but not one DFW eh.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

29 minutes ago, Mace said:

We now have *two* Harrisburgs, but not one DFW eh.

Awww man we need a DFW soooo bad. 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom