Sign in to follow this  
somiller

Lack of live airborne traffic

For some reason I'm seeing very little/no live airborne traffic with 39.4. Currently at INIBUILDS KDTW there are about a dozen airborne aircraft within the 20nm range I have set in PSXTraffic, but PSXt is only showing 2 live. We're all aware of the lack of adsb coverage on the ground at KDTW, but I've never had a problem with PSXt injecting live airborne aircraft. I get somewhat the same result at INIBUILDS EGLL, but I do see aircraft taking off, just no aircraft on approach/landing, even though they show in RT.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Have you tried the trick in RT to change the Simulator in use to Spotter mode, save it and then go back to PSXT for P3d/FSX/MSFS and save it again? Sometimes the RT user ini file gets corrupted for some reason and needs to get rebuilt.

When in doubt you can also just close RT and then delete the RealTraffic ini file located in your AppData\Roaming\InsideSystems. The only thing with deleting the file is then you have to change the RT settings back to how you like them.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

6 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Have you tried the trick in RT to change the Simulator in use to Spotter mode, save it and then go back to PSXT for P3d/FSX/MSFS and save it again? Sometimes the RT user ini file gets corrupted for some reason and needs to get rebuilt.

When in doubt you can also just close RT and then delete the RealTraffic ini file located in your AppData\Roaming\InsideSystems. The only thing with deleting the file is then you have to change the RT settings back to how you like them.

I would echo the potential benefits of this idea. Or remove and then reinstall RT. I couldn't figure out some issues a while back and removing and reinstalling RT fixed them.

Edited by mmcmah

5 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Yeah, tried both and neither corrected the problem.

In any case, when I tried again later all seems to be working normally - airbone aircraft seem to be back.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

6 hours ago, somiller said:

Yeah, tried both and neither corrected the problem.

In any case, when I tried again later all seems to be working normally - airbone aircraft seem to be back.

Good to hear Traffic is back, must  have been a temporary problem in RT.

I flew KSLC - KDEN yesterday, in lateral range automatic mode, with Recoder on that had recorded 44 live parked, and when  I had KDEN in sight I had 166 live aircraft! Yes, one hundred and sixty six

After KDEN I flew to KMSP ( yes I  bought that airport), and good traffic over there too. However, I saw a KLM (!) Boeing heading for home trying to take off at 30L...but it did not  it ran through woods with 160 kts...

In time shift plus debug mode I could see that in the RT data the vertical speed stayed at 0. That's  why it did not take off..

I have now add a check that in these cases it will takeoff if all next data positions are airborne and speed is greater then takeoff speed.  I replayed the situation, and yes, there it went the Blue bird, to Amsterdam.

This patch is already in an updated version of 3.9.4. I hope we will never see an aircraft ploughing through fields again.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kiek said:

...However, I saw a KLM (!) Boeing heading for home trying to take off at 30L...but it did not  it ran through woods with 160 kts...

In time shift plus debug mode I could see that in the RT data the vertical speed stayed at 0. That's  why it did not take off..

I have now add a check that in these cases it will takeoff if all next data positions are airborne and speed is greater then takeoff speed.  I replayed the situation, and yes, there it went the Blue bird, to Amsterdam.

This patch is already in an updated version of 3.9.4. I hope we will never see an aircraft ploughing through fields again.

Exactly what I saw at LAX last night - 3 consecutive takeoffs that never took off. I think they were flying submarine airways because they all ran out over the water and then just disappeared (I assume they submerged). It will indeed be interesting to use the updated 3.9.4 and see that these cases have been fixed - great work!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

7 hours ago, kiek said:

Good to hear Traffic is back, must  have been a temporary problem in RT.

I flew KSLC - KDEN yesterday, in lateral range automatic mode, with Recoder on that had recorded 44 live parked, and when  I had KDEN in sight I had 166 live aircraft! Yes, one hundred and sixty six

After KDEN I flew to KMSP ( yes I  bought that airport), and good traffic over there too. However, I saw a KLM (!) Boeing heading for home trying to take off at 30L...but it did not  it ran through woods with 160 kts...

Great work Nico! I too have seen this and am glad that you found a way to eliminate the issue.

What did you think of KMSP?

2 hours ago, mmcmah said:

What did you think of KMSP?

Well I have never been there in real live, but it is looking good. Good ground traffic coverage ; Qf real = 49 witch is quite good for an airport with 210 parking positions.

I now own KBOS, KMSP and KSEA. Hence I can cross the USA  with the PMDG B738, in cargo/ DHL livery with professional looking airports only..

Now I'm looking for a route to cross the Atlantic, I think can make KBOS - BIRK - EHAM

It was very unusual situation this afternoon in KDEN. There a was a snow and a lot of planes were in Anti-Ice area with their transponders on that resulted in about 105 live planes with 20nm limitations I set in PSXT. While my FPS counter was ok, the sound in MSFS was crackling terribly due to presence of such a huge number of AI planes. 

34 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

It was very unusual situation this afternoon in KDEN. There a was a snow and a lot of planes were in Anti-Ice area with their transponders on that resulted in about 105 live planes with 20nm limitations I set in PSXT. While my FPS counter was ok, the sound in MSFS was crackling terribly due to presence of such a huge number of AI planes. 

I found the same at KDEN last night - the only airport where I've experienced the sound issue. Interestingly last night at KORD with more aircraft in the area the sound problem didn't occur.

G-YMML1 I'm curious of your system specs as one would think with a more robust system than mine it shouldn't happen.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

7 minutes ago, somiller said:

I found the same at KDEN last night - the only airport where I've experienced the sound issue. Interestingly last night at KORD with more aircraft in the area the sound problem didn't occur.

G-YMML1 I'm curious of your system specs as one would think with a more robust system than mine it shouldn't happen.

9900k@5.0OC/32GBRAM/2800Ti...it;s kinda old system I built right before covid started. I'm able to run MSFS pretty well in 2k resolution and DX11 with TLOD between 100 and 180 depending on area, and with other options set to Ultra. I will be building new system once we have more news about MSFS 2024.

Well your system CPU is certainly much more capable than mine, so clearly the sound issue isn't solved by fast hardware - I wonder why it's such a problem at KDEN?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

I suspect sudden influx of live AI in very small area (20m limitation set in PSXT). But I might be wrong 

I just loaded the PMDG 739ER at KDEN gate B35 and there are:

Traffic injection range: 40nm

Live: 104

Parked Live: 20; Static: 48

...and NO crackly sound. Hmmm?

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1