Sign in to follow this  
beechcaptain

Engine Generators Getting Tripped

I have been experiencing quite the gremlin lately in my P3Dv5.3 setup with all addon jetliners.  In my PMDG 737-800 ngxu, while taxiing to runway, all of a sudden, the engine generators are tripped and go offline. Fortunately, the 737 's systems aren't as power hungry so they stay alive long enough for me to reset the engine generator switches and full power is restored. I only then have to reset autobrake, yaw damper, and efb, and continue taxi. The remainder of my flight has been uneventful. 

This does not happen every time, but at least 90% of the time. 

With my other liners (PMDG777, QW787, CS757/767) everything shuts down and I can't restart the aircraft and have to exit P3D.

Something is causing the engine generators to go offline - that is what must be solved.

I have ruled out RC4.3 & smartCARS3.  I don't think ActiveSky P3D would cause it but will try a flight without to be sure.  I do not have failures turned on in my a/c or in P3D in the vehicles sub menu.  It is a real head scratcher.  I've posted over on the P3D forum but am not getting any knowledgeable replies thus far.  I would appreciate any ideas as to what to check for possible clues.

Kindest regards,

Glenn W. / beechcaptain

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Did you try a clean reinstall of the airplane?  When you uninstall the plane, make sure to delete any possible leftover files like here for example, (drive letter):\Prepar3D V5\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II and there's may be others.  Doing a clean install sometimes works when getting strange issues like that.  It has worked for me with airplanes as well as games.

Edit: I also found some files here that you should delete if they don't install here, (drive letter):\Prepar3D V5\gauges

You'll see four dll files that all start with PMDG_747

Check around other places too like your Program Data folder or your AppData folder or maybe Documents.  The main thing is to make sure everything having to do with the plane is deleted before you reinstall because if one of those files is the problem, the installer won't overwrite it, it will skip the file and leave it. 

Edited by Kalnon

I'm not going to uninstall any a/c at this point, as it is not the PMDG a/c at fault, it is happening to all of my addon a/c - PMDG, Capt Sim, QualityWings.

Something is taking (or trips) the aircraft's engine generators off line which in turn quickly causes systems & avionics to shut down due to lack of sufficient power. That is what must be solved.  Uninstalling an aircraft won't solve the problem, imho.  

Glenn Wilkinson

LOL. Today is Halloween you know. Remember the William Shatner Twilight Zone episode about the gremlin on the wing.

• Like 1

Vic green

Indeed I do, it's the Nightmare at 20,000 ft section where John Lithgow kept looking out the window at the gremlin who was wrecking havok on the engine and freaked out and had a meltdown on the aircraft.

John Lithgow in Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)  John Lithgow and Larry Cedar in Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) John Lithgow in Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) John Lithgow in Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)

• Like 1

Glenn Wilkinson

If you are using FSUIPC, I would suggest you check that, carefully, in case some button/control setting has changed somehow.

Has been know to cause some very 'odd' problems.

• Like 1

@newtie - To do Client repair, should I just run that option and not have to do anything with my addons, or other precautions to take?  This is something to seriously consider.

@Sparkrite - Yes, i am running FSUIPC6 licensed version.  I did activate the event logging option and the log is really a mess.  Perhaps I can attach so someone who is familiar with FSUIPC log details can decipher.  I was just thinking about removing the fsuipc.ini and letting it rebuild, but I have a Thrustmaster T16000 HOTAS stick and throttle set that I have all of the axis and buttons programmed.  I would have to redo all of that or perhaps copy/paste from the fsuipc.ini backup?  

FSUIPC log file link:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/732t9bpnd8lnnvw/FSUIPC6.log/file

Edited by beechcaptain
Verified link

Glenn Wilkinson

@ beechcaptain ,
Glenn

You mentioned:
“Something is causing the engine generators to go offline - that is what must be solved. “
“I've posted over on the P3D forum but am not getting any knowledgeable replies thus far.”

Link to the P3D forum topic:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149868

“This does not happen every time, but at least 90% of the time.”

The problem being intermittent was not mentioned in the P3D topic.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

4 hours ago, vonmar said:

@ beechcaptain ,
Glenn

You mentioned:
“Something is causing the engine generators to go offline - that is what must be solved. “
“I've posted over on the P3D forum but am not getting any knowledgeable replies thus far.”

Link to the P3D forum topic:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149868

Yes, it was, just worded differently, and then it reoccurred just recently after the initial post(s):

I have been able to get my PMDG 737ngxu to bypass this issue by using the maintenance function and making sure failures are turned off and clear any hours issues in the respective aircraft hours file. However, all other aircraft don't have the depth of systems which include failures so I'm puzzled why this keeps happening.

Edited by beechcaptain
Elaboration

Glenn Wilkinson

5 hours ago, beechcaptain said:

Yes, it was, just worded differently, and then it reoccurred just recently after the initial post(s):

This was what I read in the P3D topic:

" It always happens during taxi about half way to the hold point."

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

You are reading too much into it.  It happens always during taxi -  in other words, that is the location of the aircraft when it happens, all the time at that point.  It WAS happening every time with all other aircraft and I thought I had it solved for the pmdg 737ngxu, but it happened again AFTER that post, which makes it intermittent - AFTER that post.

Why are you making such a big deal out of interpretation of that?  Let's move forward and try to determine WHY it is happening.

Glenn Wilkinson

Well? Any advancment in this?

Did you try it with FSUIPC disabled/re-set?

Won't have the chance to test it out until tomorrow (Friday) morning.

Glenn Wilkinson

Ok, I deleted the FSUIPC.ini and let it rebuild after running P3D.  Started a test flight and no problems encountered.  Fingers crossed this solved the issue for good.  I posted in P3D forums regarding engine oil data based on a request to compare data for possible causal relationship.  I can't get the image to appear, perhaps due to it being linked from Mediafire, so I will list the comparison data taken after engine starts just prior to taxi:

His engine oil readings for comparison:
Oil Pressure: L - 33, R - 32
Oil Temp:      L - 73, R - 72
Oil Qty:         L - 73, R - 79

My readings taken after engines were started (R first, the L):
Oil Pressure: L - 31, R - 30
Oil Temp:      L - 96, R - 99
Oil Qty:         L - 74, R - 79

Other than temp, they are almost identical, my engines had been running for a couple of minutes, but I'm not sure about his, my guess is that it was taken right after engine start before complete warmup took place.  Anyway, I don't think there is an issue here, so most likely (fingers crossed) FSUIPC related. 

I don't have time to make a full fight today, but will tomorrow and will report back upon completion.

Thanks.

Glenn Wilkinson