Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Flying out of Windy Wellington Today

We are flying from Wellington to Christchurch this afternoon for a staff retreat and today the weather is already a notorious windy day and raining sideways. October and November are the windiest time of year here so rest assure it will be a bumpy ride. Forecast is already calling for 35 knot winds at our time of departure 

Maybe I'm crazy but I love these bumpy flights 😁

• Like 4

Matthew Kane

You're not crazy or maybe so, anyway:

This is why I really enjoy live weather. You might get a big challenge or perfect weather. Depends on the...weather? Yeah. I like this part of MSFS.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

This is real world not MSFS 🤣

going through security right now and boarding in half hour, the weather is getting progressively worse and I’m getting progressively excited 😁

• Like 3

Matthew Kane

Oh. My bad. 

Have a good flight! 🙂

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Have a safe flight.

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

On 11/16/2023 at 4:04 PM, Matthew Kane said:

This is real world not MSFS 🤣

going through security right now and boarding in half hour, the weather is getting progressively worse and I’m getting progressively excited 😁

Lucky guy Matthew. But don't spill the beer. Cheers 

• Upvote 1

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

Stranded in Christchurch, we were on final into Wellington and aborted on final, went back to Christchurch and stranded here until Tuesday 

Wellington lives up to its reputation once again 😩

Matthew Kane

12 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Stranded in Christchurch, we were on final into Wellington and aborted on final, went back to Christchurch and stranded here until Tuesday 

Wellington lives up to its reputation once again 😩

Hopefully you get a window to fly out soon. 👍

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

On 11/16/2023 at 8:47 PM, Matthew Kane said:

We are flying from Wellington to Christchurch this afternoon for a staff retreat and today the weather is already a notorious windy day and raining sideways.

I remember my former wife's grandmother, who lived in Lower Hutt Welington, saying that the way you recognise someone from Welington is by the fact that they'll have one hand holding their hat on. 

Which aircraft Mathew?

And by the way, your ferry is now in Guernsey and serving us well. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I remember my former wife's grandmother, who lived in Lower Hutt Welington, saying that the way you recognise someone from Welington is by the fact that they'll have one hand holding their hat on. 

Which aircraft Mathew?

And by the way, your ferry is now in Guernsey and serving us well. 

That route is the A320-200. Still waiting and just want to see my kids but it’s quite a backlog, We made the news:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/301011582/fog-causes-travel-disruption-at-wellington-airport

That ferry will do well the Cook Strait would have battered it around so Guernsey will be a treat

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

11 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

That ferry will do well the Cook Strait would have battered it around so Guernsey will be a treat

Condor Islander it's been named. Will sale between Channel Islands, UK and France. Cargo and passengers. 

• Upvote 1

Our second attempt at getting home didn’t work, we departed with a full flight mostly people rebooked from Sunday, made the approach and aborted on short final, went back to Christchurch. Next flight is on Thursday which is too far away so we cancelled our flight, we are taking the bus and the ferry tomorrow instead, I’m tired and just want to see my kids this has become Trains, Planes and Automobiles New Zealand Edition 😩

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

How long will the journey take Matthew?

Me and my ex wife drove from Auckland to Wellington which was quite fascinating. Did a bit of driving on the south island, including Christchurch but never got as far down as the fjords. 

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

How long will the journey take Matthew?

Me and my ex wife drove from Auckland to Wellington which was quite fascinating. Did a bit of driving on the south island, including Christchurch but never got as far down as the fjords. 

This is going to take 10 hours by bus and ferry about 5 hours each. The flight is only about 45 minutes but if the planes can’t fly this is the only option 

Matthew Kane