Sign in to follow this  
Mgard78

The case for 4k vs Ultra Wide vs 2k and all that jazz...

Hi folks,

Looking around to get some information towards getting a new monitor, and while there are tons of information available it seems that pretty much everyone just "defends" whatever monitor thy purchased and not really providing the why beyond that they just like it.

I mean, that's fair of course we all should use whatever we like more, but I am trying to understand exactly what each option gives you and why, with the idea of getting the best possible views for flying.

I also get that GA vs Airliners are different, and so what could be an ideal view given by a monitor for one could not be as good for the other.

I was these days considering one of those Ultrawide ones, specifically a 34" Dell monitor, that as most UWs has a 3440x1440 resolution. Some videos I saw are making me reconsider, due to there not being sufficient vertical real estate, etc. more noticeable in airliners.

So here are the questions I have, maybe some of you will know the (technical) answer to.

Regarding monitors and their images, the immersion we can get, etc., I guess there are three main parameters, which would be the actual physical size, the resolution, and the FoV (not really a property of the monitor, but you know), and then the refresh rate they can support. Anything else worth consideration?

I can understand that the higher the resolution, the sharper/better defined the image you can get will be.

What I mostly hear people that vouch for ultra wide say is that you cannot beat the immersion that the extra horizontal FoV gives you.  And this is where I kind of think to myself "ok, sure, but that really depends on what you compare against".

I mean... Sure, if you compare to a "normal" 2k 16:9 monitor which is 2560x1440, you get the same vertical resolution but a lot more horizontal, so I can appreciate that. But:

- If a "normal wide" 16:9 2k monitor wouldn't have the "squashed" look for airliners for example, why does the ultrawide when they have the exact same vertical resolution and the ultra wide just adds more image to the sides?

- While the ultrawide does give you the extra horizontal image and "fov", why would that matter if you use a 4k screen, which will have exactly the same (or more actually) horizontal resolution than the ultra wide at 3840, plus the added vertical resolution of 2160 ?

Wouldn't the actual best option order be:  4K > UW > 2K ?  (And I do get that some GPUs may not be able to push 4k, but assuming you could, or else just go down the list in that order)

Also get that the physical size matters, cause you could have a small 4K with  beautiful but tiny image and there's zero immersion there...

But in summary, best view for flying, both GA and Airliners without feeling *something* (be it instruments, view of the environment, part of the cockpit, etc.) is missing.

I read you 🙂

I have a 55" 4K TV on my P3D machine, and a 34" 3440x1440 ultra-wide on my XPlane/MSFS box.

The lack of vertical real estate on the UW is an issue--it's not a showstopper, but it does detract somewhat.  The large-format 4K display does as much as the UW w/r/t horizontal FOV.  So I think a large-format 4K display is the best view solution overall, if you have room for the big display.

One thing, though--if you want VRR, finding a large display with flicker-free G-Sync "compatible" VRR that can rival a true G-Sync equipped UW display is something of an undertaking.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

20 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

I have a 55" 4K TV on my P3D machine, and a 34" 3440x1440 ultra-wide on my XPlane/MSFS box.

The lack of vertical real estate on the UW is an issue--it's not a showstopper, but it does detract somewhat.  The large-format 4K display does as much as the UW w/r/t horizontal FOV.  So I think a large-format 4K display is the best view solution overall, if you have room for the big display.

One thing, though--if you want VRR, finding a large display with flicker-free G-Sync "compatible" VRR that can rival a true G-Sync equipped UW display is something of an undertaking.

That is more or less what my head was thinking, but wanted to hear opinions since a lot of folks praise UW while others mention these shortcomings.

Regarding VRR, I will give a shot at connecting my machine to my current TV, which actually does have VRR (It's a Hisense U78H).  Let's see how it goes...

On 11/29/2023 at 5:32 AM, Bob Scott said:

What large display TV would you suggest Bob?

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I’ve never owned an UW, but I did move from a 2k 34” monitor to a wall mounted 55” 4K TV.

I’d never go back, the clarity of the panels and overall immersion is fantastic.

Just keep in mind you’ll take a performance hit at 4k vs 2k though with my current setup I have no concerns.  The move to 4k on my previous setup (i9 10900k and RTX2080ti) was ok but not great performance wise at 4k.  It was perfectly good at 2k though.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

17 hours ago, brucewtb said:

What large display TV would you suggest Bob?

Honestly, I'm not well-enough versed in the current batch of TVs to make a recommendation...some preliminary research had me considering a 55" LG G3, but I'm still quite wary about long-term dimming and burn-in effects from prolonged PC use of OLED displays, and reviews of the previous (C3) generation of LG TVs did note some issues with flicker when used with a PC or game box.

The ultimate goal is to replicate on my X-Plane and MSFS machine the sort of experience I have with a 55" display on my dedicated P3D setup, but with VRR instead of a 30Hz VSync lock to keep things fluid.  I was really hoping to find a large format true G-Sync display.  ASUS produced a 65" G-Sync monitor back in 2018--but alas, it's been discontinued and there looks to be nothing in that space out there now.

Nothing is currently jumping up and grabbing my attention.  So for now I'm gonna hold pat with my 34" G-Sync ultra-wide.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Bob your concerns about prolonged PC use with OLED displays reflect my own at this stage.  I  currently have a 49" Sony 4K TV circa 2017 with a 60 Hz (for MSFS2020) or 30 Hz (for P3D) refresh rate and this works very well with a 4090 and FG enabled and vsync in the NCCP despite still using my 9900KF (which I will probably keep until MSFS2024 drops).  But a current generation CPU would would enable much higher framerates with my 4090 and a new VRR TV that wasn't restricted by a 60Hz refresh rate..  I have also used the family's much more recent 55 inch Sony 4K TV which also works quite well but I found it to be just a bit large for my desktop real estate.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I've had a 34" Dell Ultrasharp, 3400x1440 (+/-) for about 8 years and while not inexpensive it has worked flawlessly. The vertical real estate is definitely a factor though as mentioned above not a deal breaker and if/when this monitor is to be replaced  i may go for a 38" , 2100x3800 (+/-) res..... This is the 2nd Ultrasharp I've had  and I'd buy a third.

I just bought a Dell/Alienware AW3821DW (38", 3840 x 1600, 21:9 ultrawide), as I am pretty sold on hardware G-Sync these days, and my research into "G-Sync compatible" TVs led me to conclude that most, if not all, only sync above the display's minimum refresh rate of 48 Hz.  That, plus my scepticism on the long-term reliability of OLED displays motivated me to go with this option now and wait a few more years to see how the technology shakes out.

So far I'm pretty impressed.  It's just enough bigger than the previous 34" UW that I can easily read the displays without having to lean way forward or zoom in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

I just bought a Dell/Alienware AW3821DW (38", 3840 x 1600, 21:9 ultrawide), as I am pretty sold on hardware G-Sync these days, and my research into "G-Sync compatible" TVs led me to conclude that most, if not all, only sync above the display's minimum refresh rate of 48 Hz.  That, plus my skepticism on the long-term reliability of OLED displays motivated me to go with this option now and wait a few more years to see how the technology shakes out.

So far I'm pretty impressed.  It's just enough bigger than the previous 34" UW that I can easily read the displays without having to lean way forward or zoom in.

I also have the 3821DW and like it a lot.  Totally agree with you on hardware g-sync vs just compatible.  I went from 43" 4k samsung to this 38" ultrawide.  With the exception of the CRJ, I find all displays crisp and easy to read.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next