Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

2 Flights Blown Out of the Sky

I don't know what's going on with FS2020 lately, but I've had 2 inflight structural failures in the last 3 days for no apparent reason.

Both flights (one in Norway and the other in New Zealand airspace) were in the modded 208B.  I was operating within safe airspeed and preparing in both cases for descent for approach (I had not begun descent yet).  The Norway flight had moderate turbulence and the NZ flight (just a few minutes ago) was in calm air.

In both instances there was a "boom", then a black screen followed by a message along the lines of "you have over-stressed the aircraft and it has been destroyed".  What in the world....

Edited by RandallR

Randall Rocke

Thats just one of the many reasons why i deactivate damage completely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

2 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Thats just one of the many reasons why i deactivate damage completely.

I have aircraft stress damage enabled and never had any issue. I just disable the crash damage because of the crashes against invisible objects in some airports.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

This happened to me a couple of years ago back when some high altitude turbulence was over-the-top.  I had the wings blown off of the TBM when flying over the Alps.  After a couple of updates this excessive response disappeared.

If this is supposed to be a clear air turbulence event they're off their rockers.  I was at 8000' MSL and winds were in the 10 KT region aloft and the airport was reporting "calm".

I am a little suspicious in that both of these events took place shortly after entering arrival procedures for my destination - as if the local metar suddenly injected a shear response?

Randall Rocke

First thing I do with any sim,  is turn off damage ( whatever it is called) It's a recipe for problems. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Before I jump all over ASOBO on this one it may be a timing issue along with the flight-modeling of the modded 208B.  I just ran another flight with the aircraft and, as always, had programmed in a VNAV-coupled descent from the TOD.

Before reaching the TOD I had shifted my view to the MFD to display the approach.  In the few seconds it took for me to make the change and switch back to the PFD the aircraft reached the TOD and began the descent, accelerating at a surprising rate!  With most aircraft I can gently decelerate at that point without over-speeding, but not this time!  I yanked the throttle and brought the nose up - she was already indicating the bottom range of the barber pole!

This makes me wonder if the other two flights had the same thing happen - abnormally quick acceleration on an AP-initiated descent followed by over-speed before I was aware of the situation.  If the modder was appropriately mirroring performance of the actual 208B and this is how quickly she transitions from cruise to descent (and I certainly wouldn't call this a slick aircraft) then you would really have to be ready in the RW to begin pulling torque prior to the TOD.

Randall Rocke

Autopilot or not - descent = power,  pitch, trim .

i fly with stress damage enable since msfs release and never had problem except few airports with invisible obstacle bug

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I don't fly the modded version. Did they make the windows operable? I've noticed that if you open the windows while in the air at all in most planes that have the capability, it decides you overstressed the airframe.