Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

4 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I have very limited computer knowledge, so this is a genuine question:

What harm could be done? I imagine that in the worst case MSFS freezes or crashes, but after a reboot and the deactivation of this app MSFS runs normally again. Or can any damage be done that persists even after a reboot?

Yes, no likely permanent damage as you say but freezes and CTDs are certainly possible and even windows security alerts and quarantine if the random behaviour looks like a virus or malware to your system protection software. People may not know what is causing them and go raising bug reports with Asobo and/or Microsoft and they either can't reproduce them or realise it's my app doing it then they come looking for me 😆. Seriously though, it is much better to avoid it happening in the first place rather than dealing with the fallout if it does.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Installed latest test version - confirm PCMode & FG active plus Compatible MSFS version detected (in green). When the app window is activated to be  visible on the desktop the fps displayed doubles from that on the non visible window.

After installing 0.3.6 I now have 2 versions on my desktop.  Best way to delete from PC?  I cant see an uninstaller and not showing on revo.  Cheers.

50 minutes ago, MartinP said:

When the app window is activated to be  visible on the desktop the fps displayed doubles from that on the non visible window.

I am not quite understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean you are in FG and the FPS value shown is the app is correctly doubling?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

16 minutes ago, Seth2413 said:

Best way to delete from PC?

Run the installer associated with the one you want to remove/delete and there is a remove option on the first window. That's the cleanest way.

8 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

I am not quite understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean you are in FG and the FPS value shown is the app is correctly doubling?

To clarify on my setup if I have msfs running in window on say half the screen and run Dynamic LOD on the half of the screen. If I set the window focus to MSFS your latest version displays the correct fps (new version doubles the ffps). Now switch the focus from MSFS to Dynamic LOD window, the display for fps doubles. The situation is the same if MSFS occupies the whole screen, bringing the app orward and visible results in the doubling. For further inormation I am using the AMD mod for frame generation.

49 minutes ago, MartinP said:

To clarify on my setup if I have msfs running in window on say half the screen and run Dynamic LOD on the half of the screen. If I set the window focus to MSFS your latest version displays the correct fps (new version doubles the ffps). Now switch the focus from MSFS to Dynamic LOD window, the display for fps doubles. The situation is the same if MSFS occupies the whole screen, bringing the app orward and visible results in the doubling. For further inormation I am using the AMD mod for frame generation.

Ok, got it now. I did experience something similar when I was trying out various combinations, where I found moving focus away from MSFS with FG on had the FPS on RTSS halve, but I wasn't sure whether FG just stops working when MSFS loses focus or the RTSS FPS monitor just stops counting FPS properly because MSFS has lost focus but it could still be using FG.  If the former, then yes I could halve the app detected value however that could have the undesirable side effect of triggering FPS adaption if you set it assuming FG is always working. If the latter, then the app detected FPS could be showing the correct value.

Just one more point of clarification, when you say that you switch focus from MSFS to Dynamic LOD that its FPS doubles, do you mean that it is actually double what you were seeing with MSFS having the focus or it is roughly the same but the MSFS FPS has actually halved?

Do you, or anyone else, know for sure whether FG switches off when the game using it loses focus?

What version of MSFS BTW, Steam or MS Store?

Edited by Reset XPDR

19 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

Ok, got it now. I did experience something similar when I was trying out various combinations, where I found moving focus away from MSFS with FG on had the FPS on RTSS halve, but I wasn't sure whether FG just stops working when MSFS loses focus or the RTSS FPS monitor just stops counting FPS properly because MSFS has lost focus but it could still be using FG.  If the former, then yes I could halve the app detected value however that could have the undesirable side effect of triggering FPS adaption if you set it assuming FG is always working. If the latter, then the app detected FPS could be showing the correct value.

Just one more point of clarification, when you say that you switch focus from MSFS to Dynamic LOD that its FPS doubles, do you mean that it is actually double what you were seeing with MSFS having the focus or it is roughly the same but the MSFS FPS has actually halved?

Do you, or anyone else, know for sure whether FG switches off when the game using it loses focus?

What version of MSFS BTW, Steam or MS Store?

Just carried out a test and can confirm that frame generation ceases when any application is running and is selected to take the focus away from MSFS

A selected focused Dynamic LOD window is actually recognising the reduction in frame rates as frame generation ceases and the  latest test app doubles that rate.

My version is MS  Store.

Hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

As an example, I just ran a session with the focus on MSFS and FG enabled and was getting 120 FPS on the RTSS counter, 60 FPS on the MSFS FPS view and 120 FPS showing on DynamicLOD, which looks correct. When I switch focus to DynamicLOD, the RTSS goes down to 75 FPS, MSFS FPS view goes up to 75 FPS and DynamicLOD shows 150 FPS (because the app doubles it because FG is reading as being enabled). If I turn FG off, I get 75 FPS showing all round.

This says to me that, with FG enabled and working when MSFS has the focus, FG stops working when MSFS loses focus as RTSS and MSFS show the same FPS as I get with FG off. If so, then I should perhaps be not doubling the FPS in DynamicLOD when MSFS focus is lost and, to deal with FPS Adaption potentially triggering at too low an FPS because you set your adaption target based on what you were getting with FG working, halving the adaption trigger FPS internally in the app. eg. if you normally get 100+ FPS with FG enabled and so set your FPS Adaption at 80 FPS, when the focus goes away from MSFS and it now reads 75 FPS you don't really want your FPS Adaption trigger.

As you can see, FG detection and associated FPS adaption are pretty tricky to manage. I'm starting to think that we just go back to how it was with the non FG FPS being used and FG users can just be made aware of it and to adjust their FPS interpretation and adaption settings accordingly.

4 minutes ago, MartinP said:

Just carried out a test and can confirm that frame generation ceases when any application is running and is selected to take the focus away from MSFS

OK, good. That's what I just discovered too.

5 minutes ago, MartinP said:

A selected focused Dynamic LOD window is actually recognising the reduction in frame rates as frame generation ceases and the  latest test app doubles that rate.

As mentioned above, if I halve it when MSFS loses focus there is a side effect on the FPS Adaption trigger FPS being no longer appropriate because it was set with FG in mind.

What do you think of me not doubling FPS when MSFS with FG enabled loses focus, leaving the adaption trigger FPS showing as it is but actually going off half of its value internally for triggering?

9 minutes ago, MartinP said:

My version is MS  Store.

This is helpful because it means the MS Store detection code that I couldn't test because I have Steam actually works.

God can you imagine if a SU permanently broke this application. It would be a total disaster! I live in fear of it!

8 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

As you can see, FG detection and associated FPS adaption are pretty tricky to manage. I'm starting to think that we just go back to how it was with the non FG FPS being used and FG users can just be made aware of it and to adjust their FPS interpretation and adaption settings accordingly.

I guess we were typing at about the same time! 

In respect of going back could I suggest that you leave FG in as in latest test version. As long as it isn't focused it works perfectly. People using FG accepting that you cannot really use the UI on the fly.. 

3 minutes ago, MartinP said:

In respect of going back could I suggest that you leave FG in as in latest test version.

Well that's music to my ears 😁

3 minutes ago, MartinP said:

People using FG accepting that you cannot really use the UI on the fly.

Well they can use the UI on the fly but just don't expect the FPS readings and associated actions while using it to be reliable and it will all return to normal once MSFS becomes the foreground window again.

9 minutes ago, abennett said:

God can you imagine if a SU permanently broke this application. It would be a total disaster! I live in fear of it!

They'd have to do something nasty like encrypt settings in memory to lock us out. It's not like the app lets you cheat in MSFS, because it's not that sort of game and all we are manipulating here are the very same settings you could change yourself in-game, which others have done for years, even with previous FS versions. As such, it would be pretty spiteful of Asobo/MS to lock us out just because they could when there is no actual harm being done.

Thanks for this wonderful product.

But I'm having difficulty trying to get the latest version running.

I've uninstalled the old version and and reinstalled the new version of 6 hours ago.

I copy the file to my DYNAMICLOD folder, run as administrator and it comes up with the old version of 0.3.7

I've totally removed old version 0.3.7 test from roaming.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards BJ from Oz