Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Question about ORBX library

Happy Holidays everyone!  I have a question.  My ORBX LIBRARY is installed on my Drive C and takes up about 262GB of space.  I know that you can have your library on a separate drive than where your P3d resides, and this library has been functioning perfectly on Drive C.

However, I'd like to move it to a much larger drive...my Drive X.  Drive X is a HDD, not a SSD.  Where ORBX is now is on a SSD.  Would moving it cause a loss in performance?  Is that possible, and how exactly should I do that without causing any scenery or ORBX issues? I'd like this process to be seamless, if possible. 

Thanks, Stan

Edited by spilok

Hey Stan- I did this years ago with no performance penalty using a symbolic link; I'm also pure SSD. There are myriad ways to do this as a cursory search on this site will reveal. I used Link Shell Extension because it's copy/paste. Nick Cooper give the basics here.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/133660-running-out-of-storage-space/?do=findComment&comment=1187315

Mark

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, newtie said:

Hey Stan- I did this years ago with no performance penalty using a symbolic link; I'm also pure SSD. There are myriad ways to do this as a cursory search on this site will reveal. I used Link Shell Extension because it's copy/paste. Nick Cooper give the basics here.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/133660-running-out-of-storage-space/?do=findComment&comment=1187315

Mark

I'll investigate this.

Starting 2017 with all my addon sceneries including many of my aircraft add-ons and even special add-ons as Active Sky 
or FSUIPC are installed on disks outside  C:\   

Indeed, in a "clean" installation, this [C:\] disk or partition must be dedicated as much as possible to the Windows operating system or other.

For example, my full ORBX library is installed on its own SSD disk.

This global add-ons installation is managed by an Xml add-on process orchestrated by Oliver's awesome free Lorby Prepar3D Addon Organizer
Lorby Prepar3D A. O.
valid from P3Dv3.3 to P3Dv5.4 and prototype for P3V6.x.

Of course, mastering LORBY A.O. wasn't easy at first, but today when I see the result achieved on P3DV5.4: wow! 

I do now realize why the target of L.M. P3D was to manage add-ons according to the Lorby A.O. method.

RS

Edited by Recciosilva
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, spilok said:

However, I'd like to move it to a much larger drive...my Drive X.  Drive X is a HDD, not a SSD.  Where ORBX is now is on a SSD.  Would moving it cause a loss in performance?  Is that possible, and how exactly should I do that without causing any scenery or ORBX issues? I'd like this process to be seamless, if possible. 

Thanks, Stan

Hi Stan,

The only thing you may (?) see is on startup when the Orbx scenery loads, it may take a fraction longer I suspect with your scenery on a HDD but I dont expect flying-wise you will notice that much impact as compared to having your scenery on an SSD.

Of course the optimum would be to have a large SSD (I bought a new 2Tb SSD for the sim and re-used the other 1Tb SSD I had from my old rig for additional scenery where my Orbx Libraries are installed) and it loads P3D and a whole hosts of add-ons in about 40 secs or so.

Let us know when you have made the move to the HDD and see if you see any appreciable deterioration in performance in the sim.  I doubt it.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

3 hours ago, 787flyer said:

Hi Stan,

The only thing you may (?) see is on startup when the Orbx scenery loads, it may take a fraction longer I suspect with your scenery on a HDD but I dont expect flying-wise you will notice that much impact as compared to having your scenery on an SSD.

Of course the optimum would be to have a large SSD (I bought a new 2Tb SSD for the sim and re-used the other 1Tb SSD I had from my old rig for additional scenery where my Orbx Libraries are installed) and it loads P3D and a whole hosts of add-ons in about 40 secs or so.

Let us know when you have made the move to the HDD and see if you see any appreciable deterioration in performance in the sim.  I doubt it.

P3d is on its own SSD; MSFS is on it's own SSD; and C is my 3rd SSD.  X is the only HDD and it has lots of extra room on it, so I thought I'd just off-load the ORBX Library from C to X. My flight sim SSD's are 1TB each.

At one time I had the ORBX library installed on a USB 3.0 external drive. Worked just fine with no noticeable loading issues either during loading or flying. This was prior to my current new(er) build where all drives are internal. The way to find out if the HDD will work is to try it.:cool:

I did at one time move my Orbx installs from my raid array to a new SSD using a simple file copy and update of the addon xml file reference paths.

The reason I did the driver transfer via a file copy was because I'd performed many fixes to the Orbx files and didn't want to loose them.

All went fine apart from two very unusual issues relating to Object Flow.

• One was a path not found popup issue where the path was both malformed and also partially referencing the original install path.
  • The second was a doubling of Object Flow animations.

Try as I might I could not find the source of where the issue lay despite log reviews and extensive wildcard searching via Agent Ransack.

Even Orbx's Nick Cooper was stumped.

In the end I pulled the trigger on the Resync option in Central which took quite some time to run through, much longer than I expected.

Post Resync all was good and I hadn't lost my fixes.

Cheers

Example pic of the Object Flow animation doubling that was occuring prior to the Resync.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I have both P3DV5  and V6 on my H Drive 2TB Samsung 990Po Mv. And my ORBX and addon scenery installed on the same drive no problem.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg