Sign in to follow this  
bbking

Cowansim R66 is out!

Posted (edited)

Best wishes to you all! MSFS 2024 the highlight of this year!

utLYC9y.png

Edited by bbking
  • Like 4

OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit//Case: NZXT H7 Elite Black//CPU: i9 13900KS@6ghz//Mobo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX//AIO: Corsair H150i Elite LCD Capellix Black//RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB DDR5 6400Mhz - 64GB//GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC//Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 - 4TBx2 plus 1x Intel SSDPEKNW020T8-2TB//PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W//Monitor: LG 37,5 L 38WP85C-W//Joystick: Saitek X-52 Pro//Keyboard: Logitech G213 Prodigy

I wish I was more into helicopters in MSFS, because that looks lovely.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

The throttle and idle stop on this model can be mapped to your hardware. All other bindings are functional as well and 3 panel variants are my favorite features.

• Like 1

I’ve got the Airbus TCA and the Boeing yoke… I really want to get into heli’s but I always fail at the most basic control setup. 

Are these controllers okay for heli flying and if so, are you able to recommend a video or literature where it covers the ideal setup?

Thanks

The TCA should be doable, the yoke not.

Use the TCA throttle(s) for collective, and another axis (or two) for throttle.

Cyclic assigned to stick.
Z-axis on the stick for anti-torque.

“Return to center” on the stick/“rudder” is less than ideal. Either “Force Feedback” or “stays in the spot you leave it” is better.

At the very least, you can use the TCA to decide if it’s worth buying another set of controls for Heli flying.

• Like 1

I haven't flown any helis in MSFS yet, at all.  But this looks very good.

I'm pretty impressed with the R66.

To be blunt the earlier Cowansim helis for MSFS have failed to impress: their flight models just seem like far, far too much of a compromise. Especially the AS350. But the R66 feels like a heli and behaves like one; it behaves very closely to what helicopters feel (or felt, I haven't touch X-Plane in a while) like in X-Plane. And that is a huge compliment.

If you want to explore helicopter fight in MSFS then the Cowan R66 is a great option IMHO. Unstable but predictable but also easy enough for even beginners (you're going to need pedals though). I like it a lot, and hoping the expertise applied here gets invested into his earlier releases.

• Like 1

Cowan helis use the default flight model, makes sense that earlier models haven’t benefited from in-sim improvements yet. Hopefully they get updated soon.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:50 PM, conundrum said:

Cowan helis use the default flight model, makes sense that earlier models haven’t benefited from in-sim improvements yet. Hopefully they get updated soon.

Quite right.

I really hope that the anti-torque inputs can start functioning they way they ought to in FS 24.