Sign in to follow this  
Rune-ENHD

Aftermath of a Failed Hi-spec PC MSFS build?What went wrong?

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2024 at 9:41 AM, Rune-ENHD said:

Mr Fuzzy that was quite Rude  actually!!! 😲🤨👎 

Of course he had FSX , and other flightsims.. he gave up because of bad performance...

I have built at least a dozen computers for various Microsoft flightsim versions over 30 plus years. It has been my experience that there is no "out of the box" flightsim experience. I have never had a sim application that I haven't had to struggle with, to get right. Then once it is running beautiful, the word not allowed thing doesn't start the next time you turn on the computer. I think (although I have never owned one) X-Boxs are for the plug and play people. PC flightsim systems are not for the faint of heart.

So, MrFuzzy, in my opinion, was not being rude. He was stating reality. I can almost guarantee you that if you ran a poll on how many people on this forum have had times when they wanted to pull their hair out, or say "f$%k it!" and quit flight simming, the result would be close to 100%. Flight sims programs are like the early NASA rockets. There are too many moving parts, all built by different vendors. 

So, if your friend wants to have "enjoyable" experience he needs to have someone with FSX/P3D/MSFS experience look at his system and get it working. Based on the specs you posted, I wish that system was mine. It is far better, spec wise, than my current system. I know that in a matter of a couple days, I could have that system singing MSFS opera. I bet any number of guys here on AVSIM could do the same.

Edited by jmig
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, Thanks for the help!

My friends "NEW-PC" is going back

(There is no restocking fee, IF returned whitin 14days..),

*too much money* compared to the

Xbox-X he allready owns, He "might" try again later in MS-2024 Though?

He said he just wants to fly the airplane as Realistially he can, and consentrate on that! He is just fed up with the tweaking-game. 

He has a Pilot friend who flew 747-freighter in USA, 😃 but he actually gave up his career!! 😲 

He now instructs on the local airfield.. So my friend can learn from him and become really SKILLED even on the XBOX-X 😉

OKAY CASE CLOSED!! 🔒  🙂

"Nothing" to see here.. 😂

I'm out

Thanks for your willingness to help! 👍

Edited by Rune-ENHD

Sorry to hear he has decided to return it.  It really sounds unusual as the specification is top of the line.

I would hazzard a guess that it has an old BIOS installed.  I read a lot of long threads on the Asobo Forums recently as I was considering the 7950x3D cpu (moving from Intel).  The earlier BIOS's had some issues.  One guy also had a serious amount of stutters and couldnt get his 6000 DDR5 memory running.  I think the advice is that AMD prefers EXPO memory rather than XMP profiled memory.  I also read of issues if an AMD cpu has been swapped.  Even with the same compatible socket changing chips from say a 7800x3d to a 7950x3d can cause issues, perhaps driver problems.  I did read a post saying best to format Windows and install the latest chipset drivers

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

PS, sorry guys for the confusion, 😮😳😳

I only intially posted my Questions??

*in 1 POSTING*

I think Avsim can sometimes **time out** when you are posting on the cell-phone, (the formatting is a bit rubbish also.. 🙄)

I sent an explanatition to the Moderator..(that closed the post..)

I ALSO apologized for bad Grammar

"both upfront", & "at the end of the post"..

I do not live in a English *Native* Country, And was a bit stressed and rambled on a bit... 😳🙁 sorry for that, I just wanted as much info out there as I was capable to provide.. at the time..

---------

Perhaps "Mr Fuzzy" was not rude, 🤔 But I had to defend my Friend who do not have an forum-account ..here at Avsim..

I also don't have "a very thick skin" at least I felt the answer to be :

*a bit bit Blunt*...  😲

Edited by Rune-ENHD

1 hour ago, Rune-ENHD said:

... I ALSO apologized for bad Grammar

"both upfront", & "at the end of the post"..

I do not live in a English *Native* Country, And was a bit stressed and rambled on a bit... 😳🙁 sorry for that, I just wanted as much info out there as I was capable to provide.. at the time...

-

Your grammar was just fine. Many of us native English speakers do far worse. I admire someone like you who is speaks English as a second or third language. I wish I could speak and read other languages. 

• Like 3

John
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Thank you! Kind Sir, 😊

I thuroughly enjoy *The English Language* and learnt it early on in 2rd. or 3th. Grade School here in Norway. My Father thought me "the basics of it" quite early though "even before" we had English in School.. 😊 I liked it! it was quite Fun! 

On 1/9/2024 at 7:03 AM, jmig said:

So, if your friend wants to have "enjoyable" experience he needs to have someone with FSX/P3D/MSFS experience look at his system and get it working. Based on the specs you posted, I wish that system was mine. It is far better, spec wise, than my current system. I know that in a matter of a couple days, I could have that system singing MSFS opera. I bet any number of guys here on AVSIM could do the same.

Respectfully - how does one acquire this knowledge?  I think this is probably the real issue - as many have posted, that system looks top end.  I'm about to embark on the same journey with a top end machine to run on triple 4K TVs.  The thing I fear most is not having the knowledge to optimise it - although I am keen to learn.

19 hours ago, Buzz71 said:

Respectfully - how does one acquire this knowledge?  I think this is probably the real issue - as many have posted, that system looks top end.  I'm about to embark on the same journey with a top end machine to run on triple 4K TVs.  The thing I fear most is not having the knowledge to optimise it - although I am keen to learn.

That my friend, is the chicken or the egg question. I do not know your age or experience. So forgive me if I sound pedantic or condescending. I am just an old man who remembers the first MS Flight Simulator and just about every one since. MSFS is not a load it and play it program, unless all you are interested in is a X-Box arcade experience. Every joystick, throttle, rudder or Steam Deck is a potential problem waiting to give you grief. To make matters worse are the third-party add-on apps like  Axis&Ohs, Pilot to ATC, and custom built third party airplanes, etc..  Programs like these may add to MSFS issues as they can conflict with how things are done in MS code.

There are tutorials (there use to be one on this site) that guide you step by step in setting up MSFS to work well with your particular computer setup and hardware peripherals. A company called  FSAcademy publishes a series of self-help guides to MSFS. You will find that these tutorials sometimes start with Windows itself, having you make settings to help run MSFS well. There are "tweaks" to graphics programs for iNvidia drivers, and I assume AMD, designed to squeeze every last FPS from your computer.

So far, everything I have written may seem dauting. It isn't as bad as it may sound, however. You don't have to do every tweak. In fact, I would advise you to skip most of them and focus on the "General Options" of MSFS. Accept the default recommendations MSFS offers for your system. See how it plays at the default settings. If you are not happy with default, then start  tweaking. It will be a lot of trial and error with mostly error, at first. I know there are tutorials floating around that will tell you what each Graphics setting does and what level is recommended, depending on your system. Try them. You can always reset to default, if things go south. Don't forget YouTube.

Remember, unless it is your goal, you do not need Ultra settings or 50-100 FPS to enjoy MSFS. People get caught up in FPS. A FPS of 25-30 will look very smooth to your eyes. Slight shudders will not kill your in-game experience. You will notice it at first, then your brain will smooth them out. MSFS is not a 1st person shooter where FPS can be important in competition. A MSFS experience is all about a balance between playability and performance. I am a retired real world pilot. I flew both USAF and GA aircraft. I look for moments what my Librarian wife calls "suspense of disbelief." It means where you get so wrapped up in a story to can believe you are in the story, or its strangeness is real. There have been numerous times while flying in MSFS when  for a brief moment I felt like I was really in that airplane. That is my Zen. It is why I fight the never ending "issues" of MSFS that can completely exasperate me. I am like the golfer who hacks his way around the local course, never braking 100. Then he hits one perfect shot. As he watches the ball fly exactly where he envisioned it, he for just a moment feels like he is Tiger Woods. Enjoy MSFS.

And ask questions here or other forums, if you need help. Ignore the "real" pedantic know-it-alls who snarky tell you to use Search, when there are only 20022 hits on your search, none of whom match your question. It has been my experience that most people will try to help.

John

P.S When MSFS won't load, either the program or the airplane. Go into your MSFS folder and change the name of the Community folder to something else. Restart MSFS. It will create a new empty Community folder. I can't count the number of times that one tip has saved me hours of MSFS frustration.

• Like 1

John

Thanks John, what an excellent response. I really appreciate your words.

For the record I am 52 and retired - yes a bit early but you only live once!  I've been on again and off again with flight simming for many years, mostly on P3D.  But now I have the time and resources to take up this wonderful hobby "properly" - as per my recent thread in the hardware sub-forum I am starting out on building a 3x 4KTV screen build. So to some extent, this time is actually is my intent to try and get that ultra setting 🙂 It's daunting when you realise you are about to make a significant financial investment and the fear that one hardware misstep might cripple things.  Then sometimes that seems to be the easy part - I'm absolutely aware that the build is just the first step and the configuration will be a journey in and of itself.  Previously, I've let this fear stop me from taking the plunge to build something … not realistic.  Immersive is a better word I think.

I love your golf analogy.  I too am a golfer - that's my other hobby - what a superb comparison you drew, I completely understand.  I very much am that player and yes I have hit -sometimes - those shots. I know exactly the feeling you are describing.  You are right - thats the nirvana I now seek in MSFS.  Perhaps if I bring my golf mindset I will enjoy this journey more!

I will look up the FSAcademy guides as a starter - thanks.

• Like 1