Sign in to follow this  
ValinHawK

RXP GTN 750 with RealAir Lancair Legacy and P3D v6.1?

3 hours ago, ValinHawK said:

Hello Rogen,

I resolved my folder security restrictions and was able to implement your adjustments to properly integrate the RealityXP GTN 750 in my RAS Lancair Legacy -- thank you!

Now the virtual cockpit has the GTN display properly in the F1 GTN bezel/frame and the bezel buttons work.  And, the separate pop up window for the GTN, easiest to work with, has its bezels and buttons.

Again, thank you so much for the help!

ValinHawK

Hey, great to hear you've overcome the Windows issues and that you have the GPS operational.

Very nice pic of your plane, you say you've got that paint as a livery for the Real Air Legacy ?

That would be a nice one to add to the collection.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

21 hours ago, Rogen said:

Hey, great to hear you've overcome the Windows issues and that you have the GPS operational.

Very nice pic of your plane, you say you've got that paint as a livery for the Real Air Legacy ?

That would be a nice one to add to the collection.

Cheers

Hey Rogen!

Yes, I just had our airplane's livery professionally updated on our RAS Lancair Legacy to PBR materials and to better match our airplane.  Before this, I had what we did in 2015 on the RAS Legacy as I was perfecting the livery.  Here are some screenshots of the PBR updated livery in P3D v6.1 with Active Sky: 

https://imgur.com/a/XdsqWGP

As I'd mentioned before, I'm working with FSW on creating our customized Lancair Legacy we call STARHAWK for MSFS 2020/24.  Our airplane is unique as Lancair Legacy's go -- for more info see our website where we help other builders with some of the improvements we made for our real-world airplane:

Home | STARFLIGHT Experimental Aero Works | Lancair Legacy 

For the MSFS STARHAWK Lancair Legacy development, I've spent months on CAD for much of the airplane -- wings, tail, landing gear mechanisms etc. converted to mesh models for the sim, and high resolution 3D scans of the fuselage and our custom designed interior/cockpit for the 3D mesh modeler's reference.  I'll also be helping with the audio and the flight dynamics model (I'm a retired aerospace engineer).   

My wife and I recently decided to start capturing video of our real-world flights as a kind of outreach effort to provide others with more insight to the world of experimental aircraft (aircraft crazy people build and fly themselves) and personal aviation.  I intend to augment our real-world flight videos with recordings of the same flight in the simulator to help tell the stories.  The delays in our MSFS STARHAWK development have required me to improvise in the near term by using our old RAS Lancair Legacy, which I used to help in my preparation for flying our real Lancair Legacy, for these integrated real world and sim flight videos.  

So, I'm in a quandary...  It's not that I've spent hundreds of dollars having professionals repaint our livery on the RAS Legacy.  It's that STARHAWK is a unique Lancair Legacy, not just because of its livery, but all the interior/cockpit and other customizations.  If I release the STARHAWK livery for the RAS Legacy into the wild, by the time the MSFS STARHAWK is released later this year, people may think it's just the RAS Legacy stolen and ported over to MSFS with only the cockpit changed -- which it absolutely will not be. 

I love what Sean Maloney and Rob Young (RealAir Simulations) did creating a Lancair Legacy for FSX & P3D.  I tried to reach Sean a number of times to plead that he redevelop the RAS Legacy for MSFS.  But, as you know better than anyone, he's faced some personal tragedies and has left the flight sim world.  The FlySimWare (FSW) STARHAWK is going to be even more accurate than the RAS Legacy.  For an idea of the focus on accuracy, when I did the CAD for the wings, I used direct measurements from our airplane for everything including the airfoil profiles, precise double tapered wing planform, and wing and horizontal stabilizer incidence angles.  The OML (outer mold line) of the airplane will be accurate enough to use in a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) digital wind tunnel and get useful engineering data.  I know that detail in the 3D model is not really needed for the mechanics of a flight sim, but I plan to experiment with the model in some CFD tools to see what interesting data I may unearth...  And, if one can make something virtual that's truely accurate to the real-world, why not do it...?

So, these are the main reasons why I think it would be unwise to release the livery out into the wild this year.  But, I also see how much you do to help people in the flight simulation community -- and you've already helped me.  So, my promise is I will provide you the STARHAWK livery for your RAS Lancair Legacy soon after we release the STARHAWK Lancair Legacy for MSFS 2024 later this year.  

Is that okay...?

Again, many thanks for all your help!

ValinHawK

https://imgur.com/olMtXat

Hi Rogen, here's a challenge...  I need to put a woman co-pilot/pax in the right seat of the RAS Legacy, for the sim videos to go with the real flight videos, to kind of look like my wife in the right seat...?   Any ideas how to do that?

Thanks!

ValinHawK

Hey @ValinHawK,

Wow, that's quite the backstory, heh and yeah no probs, waiting is fine, I totally understand the issues of software development and release timings, I've been working in software support for a couple of decades.

In the FSX / P3D world, RealAir and A2A were the leaders for truly great GA aircraft and with the demise of RealAir and A2A releasing their Comanche in MSFS, A2A have set the new high bar on what an aircraft needs to deliver in both features and performance.

I'm sure FSW can do justice with your Legacy, I have three FSW aircraft and their commitment over the long term has been high, much higher than many other developers (who often just pump and dump, or release buggy updates that never get fixed), plus people will be ready to buy an aircraft of the caliber of RealAir equivalent or higher.

Both yourself and FSW should do very well out of the expanded MSFS customer base, just be sure to have a good contract with suitable checks and balances, you wouldn't want to be locked out of the financials like Sean of RealAir was, that said Sean did well out of RealAir while it lasted, and it was his first job straight out of University.

As to "I need to put a woman co-pilot/pax in the right seat of the RAS Legacy", I'm not so sure you would be able to do such a thing easily as typically pilot's are part of the aircraft mdl file and additionally would have related xml code built in. Specifically the pilot is built into RASLegacy_Ext.MDL, if you're able to edit the model you might be able to do something.

And you'll find pilot textures in ~\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Legacy V2\Texture

You can review the model in ModelConverterX, I've used MCX a few times to fix buggy releases but it does tend to mess with visiblity, animation and the xml code behind it all which can be a bugbear to resolve.

Take a look at this thread where I resolved an issue of pilots disappearing as soon as the wheels left the ground, it might provide a bit of insight.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Thanks @Rogen!  Impressive diagnosis and fix of the disappearing pilots in the C-140.  My terms with FSW could be better but given their high standards, I can live with them.  Can you recommend anyone with the expertise to put a nice-looking woman in the right seat of the RAS Legacy?  My long-term goals are to master these skills myself but I have a lot of higher priority things on my list right now... 

Hi @ValinHawK

Sorry, don't personally know anyone who's into modeling, maybe ask on fsdevelopers.com ?

You might be lucky really... I mean Sean's the one with the source model files.

I'll look forward to the release of your Legacy 🙂

Don't forget to push for things like hypoxia modeling, and concequense flying (e.g. gear and flaps breaking, engine fails, plug fouling, fuel leaks etc). Modeled concequenses have a huge effect on how a plane can be flown and can really make the plane stand up in the pack.

Sean really did a great job at modeling the effects of hypoxia and A2A do a blood oxygen level variable for their hypoxia modeling (good to hook into for a custom oxygen supply).

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Thanks!  Sean would be great.  Though, he hasn't responded to any emails I've sent since about 2016... 😞

Hi @Rogen and @ValinHawk ,

I have been following this thread from the beginning hoping for a solution to the AP not working with the RXP GTN750...

I keep getting the log V6.1.11 not supported , is there a way to solve it or the only solution rests with the developer??

I looked and the last time he was in the forum was in 2022..., seems wrong that Flight1 keeps selling this product..

Thank you for all the work Rogen , I applied all the mods and the Gauge, also made a new .cab file for the main RasLegacy.cab using the P3D SDK (using cabdir.exe).

regards  Jorge

15 hours ago, aeronauta said:

Hi @Rogen and @ValinHawk ,

I have been following this thread from the beginning hoping for a solution to the AP not working with the RXP GTN750...

I keep getting the log V6.1.11 not supported , is there a way to solve it or the only solution rests with the developer??

I looked and the last time he was in the forum was in 2022..., seems wrong that Flight1 keeps selling this product..

Thank you for all the work Rogen , I applied all the mods and the Gauge, also made a new .cab file for the main RasLegacy.cab using the P3D SDK (using cabdir.exe).

regards  Jorge

Hi Jorge, yes the dev must release an update, but remember LM released 2 x P3D updates in Feb with the last one being just a week after their previous and that itself was just a week ago.

My advice is... look at the update notes, is there any fix or change likely to directly affect your sim usage, i.e. something you must have ? if not don't apply the update until you have your requirement checkboxes ticked.

Anyway, have a look at the below thread.

And happy to hear of a successful mod application 🙂

Cheers

On 2/20/2024 at 2:29 PM, ValinHawK said:

Thanks @Rogen!  Impressive diagnosis and fix of the disappearing pilots in the C-140.  My terms with FSW could be better but given their high standards, I can live with them.  Can you recommend anyone with the expertise to put a nice-looking woman in the right seat of the RAS Legacy?  My long-term goals are to master these skills myself but I have a lot of higher priority things on my list right now... 

Hey @ValinHawK,

Came across a Lorby utility today that might help with what you're after.

https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

FREE: "PayloadManagerX" (Prepar3D V4.2f/V5.x)
With this tool you can

• Add 3D persons to your aircraft (10 models included with 100 textures to choose from)

Cheers