Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Crash to Desktop

I have experienced three CTDs in the past week (all of them during loading of a saved scenario). This has not been any great problem, as they all loaded properly on the second attempt. However, I just wondered if anyone else is getting CTDs, or if it is something to do with my own PC? I have not suffered a CTD during any of my (admittedly short) flights.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, I was having loads of CTD's in SU14 that I spent weeks digging into the cause (there is a LONG thread on the matter you may have seen), I have finally not been having those same CTD's as of late, so maybe they fixed it in the last SU. In my case, all of my CTD's were linked to one thing, which was my network card speed (I had to manually make it slower). There were some others that had that same CTD, but there were also others having different CTDs during the SU14 era. I never experienced any like you are currently though. 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

I also had the same CTD's last month.  I ended up just waiting it out and they totally went away.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

This has unfortunately gotten to be an old story that has been the subject of many threads going back to SU12, before which CTDs were very rare. I have been dealing with CTDs, specifically the 0x887a0006 error, for months, and have made many attempts to solve the problem based on tips and suggestions picked up on the internet, but none has really worked. The CTDs appear seemingly at random -- some days I can fly for over an hour, and others less than 10 minutes before it happens. At this point I have concluded that there are really two issues here: (a) the immediate cause that triggers the CTDs in MSFS in one's computer, and (b) the instability in MSFS2020 that was inadvertently introduced by Asobo in one of the updates (SU12 or SU13) that makes CTDs more likely. Most of the attention in the various forums has focused on (a) -- how to finagle one's computer to avoid or minimize the CTDs -- some of which are useful and may help to a degree but do not really solve the problem, at least for me.

The real issue for MSFS is (b) -- the sim is just less stable than it used to be, which triggers CTDs for some of us. Others, who do not experience the CTDs, evidently have computers that handle the instability better, and for those folks I am happy. But the main issue continues to be the basic instability that traces back to one of the SUs during the past year. My impression is that this is now unlikely to be seriously addressed by Asobo in MS2020, and  one can only hope it will not be a problem in MS2024.

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 2

Run the following commands after opening a command prompt with admin rights...

Go through each of the following steps one at a time. Copy each line, one at a time , paste it into the Dos window (crtl + V) and press return

and it will then run. Wait until each runs and finishes before you move on to the next one.

When you are completely finished, Restart your computer and then try to see in MS2020 will start and run properly

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /checkhealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

RESTART your computer as the last step. Then go for a test flight.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3593/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

Did you check the event viewer after the CTD? Most times you will get hint why the CTD happened and what caused it 

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

23 minutes ago, udidwht said:

Run the following commands after opening a command prompt with admin rights...

Go through each of the following steps one at a time. Copy each line, one at a time , paste it into the Dos window (crtl + V) and press return

and it will then run. Wait until each runs and finishes before you move on to the next one.

When you are completely finished, Restart your computer and then try to see in MS2020 will start and run properly

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /checkhealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

RESTART your computer as the last step. Then go for a test flight.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your suggestion, but the problem is almost certainly not with my computer, since MSFS2020 is the only program in which I ever experience a CTD or error message. It is a flight simulator issue, clearly. It's simply not logical to think that a computer graphics problem would show up in only one program, and then only in recent months, in a program that I have used for over three years. All the evidence points to Asobo and SU12 or SU13.

30 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Did you check the event viewer after the CTD? Most times you will get hint why the CTD happened and what caused it 

As I mentioned in my post earlier, there are two issues, one of which is the proximate cause of the CTD, and the other is what suddenly made the computer vulnerable to CTDs that I never experienced before. Your suggestion may help to identify the proximate cause, which is fine but doesn't deal with the main issue, which is the instability introduced into MSFS during the past few months.

Edited by cobalt

21 hours ago, cobalt said:

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your suggestion, but the problem is almost certainly not with my computer, since MSFS2020 is the only program in which I ever experience a CTD or error message. It is a flight simulator issue, clearly. It's simply not logical to think that a computer graphics problem would show up in only one program, and then only in recent months, in a program that I have used for over three years. All the evidence points to Asobo and SU12 or SU13.

Update: udidwht, I followed the steps you suggested, and no errors or problems were found, confirming that the issue is with MSFS and not the computer. However I do appreciate your input because it eliminates the possibility of a computer glitch. The CTDs are clearly an Asobo issue, originating in SU12 or SU13, and only they can fix it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1